On Site Reports: GPF 2015 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: GPF 2015

mrrice

Record Breaker
Holy frack, if he can pull most of it off, next year will be REALLY interesting. New era indeed.

Seeing, as I've arrived in Barcelona, where can I ask other of you who are here some practical questions?

Moria, I just wanted to tell you how much I love the word "Frack!" My Students knew there were in trouble if I said "Fricken Frack, What Was That!" :laugh2:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Depends on the person, I guess. I also don't wear such a warm coat at the rink. But that's just me. And I need to get out of my jacket as soon as I leave the rink or I start to melt :biggrin: but that's really just me. Other people like it warmer :shrug: but I'm more of a winter person anyway. I like the cold way better than heat.

I have been at two figure skating events, this is the third, although actually the same event as the second one. The first one was in Holland in March. during a cold spell where we had 10 cm of ice outside, and inside the skating hall, it was SO cold, it was terrible. We wore our pyjamas under our clothes, snowboots, thicks skiing socks, like four layers inc winter coat and gloves, and STILL felt we were freezing.

I learned my lesson that weekend.

Barcelona is nice right now, 15-18 C (trust me, that is way nicer than in August when it is too warm to do anything outside during the day) and in the sun it feels even warmer. So outside, sure, you can walk in a t-shirt during most of the day. But inside the rink? Probably if you are higher up seated, it is warmer, but I swear, I was very glad today to wear my winter boots and winter coat, and at some point also went for the uber-awesome Irene gloves Pamigena gifted me. And I have a warm shawl and a fleece blanket with me. Ice is cold, sitting near ice can be really cold, too, especially if you are sitting still. But no, Barcelona is not,fortunately.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Holy frack, if he can pull most of it off, next year will be REALLY interesting. New era indeed.

Seeing, as I've arrived in Barcelona, where can I ask other of you who are here some practical questions?

Ask away.
edit, oh, but maybe not in this thread, lol. Feel free to PM, anyway

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
guys, how do you feed yourselves? Will you go out of the arena between competitions for dinner (doesn't seem like enough time) do you take sandwiches, what?

They are VERY strict about food and drinks, they do not allow you to take anything inside. Last year they had a few small snack corners in the venue, but I think most people just go to the Diagonal Mar shopping center right next door and eat there. There are a bunch of fast food chains at the food court, and there is an Al Campo supermarket. You should have enough time to pop over for a quick dinner.

Cherryy

On the Ice
Ok, I did some notes on the men's and ladies' practice, here it goes :D

LADIES
Evgenia was killing it. She did a run through of long program with two 3-3-3 and 2A-3T. I think she might have fallen once during the run-through but the rest was clean. In general she looked very solid, did fall a few times but still was spot on most of the time.

Gracie also did a run through of the long, the only mistake was on the 3S, rest was clean. She's on fire! Practiced 3Lz a lot, hit most of it along with 3Lz-3T.

Mao did a run thorugh of the long to the music without jumps, as she was the first one. Later on she practiced entire SP where she hit a 3A and 3F-3L but doubled the lutz. In general she had troubles with the lutz today because it seemed like she really wanted it to be on the outside edge so she singled or doubled many attempts, but the where she performed 3 revolutions were landed nicely, definitely not e, maybe (probably) !. She hit a few 3A (3 or 4) but she also had some troubles with it at the beginning. Her 3F-3L looks really good, I would say it's fully rotated. She hit it most of the time. She also landed all the 2A-3T attempts BUT I think the 3T could have been <.

Satoko did a run through of the SP, clean. She landed most of the jumps she attempted, looked solid.

Radionova had lots of problems at the beginning with 3-3 combinations, fell several times. Later on it seemed to be fine, I think her run thorugh (SP) might have had one mistake.

Ashley did lots of 3-3 attempts. The one she did seemed to be rotated but she had some problems with the second jump - often doubled it or singled. Did a clean run thorugh of the SP.
All in all - all ladies looked solid! I would say Medvedeva and Gracie looked most impressive while Elena had biggest troubles. Still, she managed to do a nice run thorugh and was hitting the combinations later during the practice.

MEN

That was crazy!

Shoma impressed me the most. He did almost all his jumps cleanly. He fell twice (once on a 3A, once while exiting a spin) and he did it in a very funny way :D. His run through (LP) seemed to be all clean. I have written "no combo" so he might have had a shaky landing on the quad? Can't remember. He was doing 4T and 3A one after another with no problems. I love this guy!

Almost as impressive was Yuzuru, also landing 4Ts and 4-3T like crazy. In the run through (SP) he did a three turn after the 4S, 4T-3T clean and 3A clean. Looked very solid, had some minor mistakes (mostly 3 turns after some 4Ts).

Javier did a run thorugh of SP with a 4T and 3A clean, he doubled the salchow but I think this might have been because Boyang was quite close to him. He seemed to enjoy himself a lot, was solid most of the time. Did 4S-3T once or twice.

Patrick had problems with 3A. One very nasty fall, singled several times. Did around 4 clean ones? In the run thorugh (SP) he tripled the quad, lutz was clean, didn't see the axel. He also wasn't as consistent with the quad as before. Still flying over the ice.

Boyang seemed to be a bit off. I think he landed one 4Lz but it was difficult to count the rotations - he spins so fast! In the run through he did 3 or 4 Lutz (sorry :<), 4S, 4T-2T, 2T, 3A. Omitted most of the skating in the second half.

Summing up: I fell in love with Shoma, most other ladies with Yuzuru :laugh:

As for pairs I didn't take notes and was a bit late. Kavaguti and Smirnov did a couple of 4S and practiced the 4Lo for a moment. I've never seen such a high jump. Can't remember much else but the pairs didn't seem to be as strong as ladies or men.

Tell me if it's even worth writing such reports? Is there anything else you would like me to write more about? :) I will be tomorrow for all senior practices so if you have any suggestions please let me know. The problem is that I will write them only after I come back from the event, so not before the senior SPs start.

melmel

On the Ice
I was partially in the flock of geese following yuzu in the rink and i have no regret :p i have a mostly all the men videos of the practice but wont be able to post it until after the ccomp is over sorry

mrrice

Record Breaker
It could make Chen a real threat for the US men.

How are Chen PCS? It certainly sounds like he's ready tech wise but, Jason has the Judges in the palm of his and if he skates well. I can't see him losing to anyone out side the big 3. Adam, Max, and if healthy, Joshua. He also has Richard and Ross to deal with. The US Men are much deeper this year with Grant and that cute Boy from Minnesota.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I appreciate your reports, Cherryy. I like your general impressions, but I don't have any specific suggestions, other than if you can describe how the American pair Alexa and Chris are practicing. Thanks for your reports. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How are Chen PCS? It certainly sounds like he's ready tech wise but, Jason has the Judges in the palm of his and if he skates well. I can't see him losing to anyone out side the big 3. Adam, Max, and if healthy, Joshua. He also has Richard and Ross to deal with. The US Men are much deeper this year with Grant and that cute Boy from Minnesota.

Chen has decent PCS. It's certainly not the highest, but it's workable and if he's getting 90+ TES, I think he will have a shot to win the championship.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I was partially in the flock of geese following yuzu in the rink and i have no regret :p i have a mostly all the men videos of the practice but wont be able to post it until after the ccomp is over sorry
No need for regrets, as long as you had as much fun with it as we had watching you all. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! I think I even videoed some of it, it just looked hilarious.