2015 Latvian National Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Latvian National Championships

alexinga

Rinkside
The three men skated together- in the same warm up. Lukas, apparently, was pleased with how he skated given that he has taken a lot of time off and nurtured an ACL injury which he sustained before Salt Lake City. To paraphrase him, don't remember where I saw it- 'no big tricks, just good to be getting myself out there again.' Apparently he is fluent in Latvian and has been to Latvia quite a few times to visit family.

Latvian

On the Ice
It seems that a lot of Latvia's skaters are Russian-Latvians (probably because figure skating is so popular amongst Russians), nothing wrong with that, but I hope that it has/will also spread to become just as popular with those who don't have Russian heritage.
I have heard Diana Nikitina is latvian officially, by passport.

catchie

On the Ice
I have heard Diana Nikitina is latvian officially, by passport.

I think Angelina and Deniss are also Latvian by passport?
Diana is the most Latvian-ish of all of them because all her relatives from mothers side are completely Latvians (I read this somewhere) and she's also studying in Latvian class (where Latvian is considered as a first language) unlike Angelina and Deniss who are both in Latvian-Russian class (both languages considered as the 1st language).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Lukas, apparently, was pleased with how he skated given that he has taken a lot of time off and nurtured an ACL injury which he sustained before Salt Lake City. To paraphrase him, don't remember where I saw it- 'no big tricks, just good to be getting myself out there again.' Apparently he is fluent in Latvian and has been to Latvia quite a few times to visit family.

Lukas missed virtually all of last season b/c of injury -- he was not taking time off just b/c he did not feel like skating. (Just want to be sure that no one misinterprets your post.)

I don't remember whether he skated in any early comp(s) in summer 2014, but b/c of injury, he had no 2014-15 season to speak of.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
I hope that Lukas has a great competition here - does he have a World's qualifying score? Or does he need to win here to get to go to Europeans and get the score there to skate in Boston?

alexinga

Rinkside
Lukas lives and trains in the States but has been brought up 'Latvian'. All four of his grandparents hail from Latvia. Latvians- not Russians, so I gather. I really liked his SP at US Nationals in Boston- very unfortunate that he has been sidelined with injury since but great to see him back on the scene.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Why is Nikitina staying junior at Natioanals with her scores she can easily beat Alina and get the second euro spot..

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The three men skated together- in the same warm up. Lukas, apparently, was pleased with how he skated given that he has taken a lot of time off and nurtured an ACL injury which he sustained before Salt Lake City. To paraphrase him, don't remember where I saw it- 'no big tricks, just good to be getting myself out there again.' Apparently he is fluent in Latvian and has been to Latvia quite a few times to visit family.

oh no! Lukas was injured again?! Whyyyyyyyyyy?! Is it contagious among the Bahdiez?! :cry:

Lukas has always considered himself primarily Latvian, I believe. He is also studying medicine in Colorado Springs. So, you know, go Dr. Kaugars. ;)

Latvian

On the Ice
Raimo Reinsalu :
1 Diana NIKITINA 159,80
2 Aleksandra BUTKO 121,32
3 Anzelika KLUJEVA 118,98

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^^ Thanks...not really surprising results, of course, but it will be interesting to see the rivalry between Diana & Angelina next season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He is performing in iceshows in Lithuania which starts from 13th evening. He has to go to Lithuania after the competition.
That's why he's skating earlier than other senior skaters.

http://www.pramoguarena.lt/index.php?id=270

Unacceptable. Completely unacceptable, how ridiculous. If he wants to skate in shows instead of Nationals then there's a solution for that: he turns pro. Otherwise, the competitions come first. Demanding the rescheduling of your skate just so you can go skate in a show is not on and the federation should not have allowed it.

Can you imagine the uproar if Yuzuru did that at Japanese Nationals, or Kovtun, or Jason or Max or someone? It does not happen. If NHK and the Senior Men at Australian Nationals had clashed, the answer would have been, Sorry Brendan, you will get a bye to 4CCs/Worlds selection, but you won't be National Champion this year.