2015-16 Grand Prix Final: Ice Dance Preview | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final: Ice Dance Preview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ice dance podium for the 2015-16 ISU Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating (GPF), which kicks off this Thursday, is up for grabs. The spread in the season’s best overall scores for the top qualifiers is just a little over a point. :roll9:

Five of the six teams that qualified have won a Grand Prix event this season. Therefore, even the smallest mistake—such a misstep in the Ravensburger Waltz (the compulsory pattern in the short dance) or a stumble in the twizzles—could have a great impact on the results.

More

What's your take?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I wouldn't underestimate Chock & Bates. No one has seen them since their SC, which is quite a chunk of time for Igor to rework the step sequences in both programs. Just sayin'...

Very good preview. Even-handed and judicious, and very thorough. Thank you.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Predictions from Maxim Staviski:
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Shibutani/Shibutani
3. Bobrova/Soloviev
4. Cappellini/Lanotte
5. Chock/Bates
6. Hubbel/Donohue

Tom, you should score his prediction too. Wanna see how many points he will get with this :)

And some his words are just :dbana:
- The Shibs are Chinese dolls;
- Cappellini/Lanotte skate the same dance every season, :laugh2:
- Bates has no choreography, and expressionless stoned face :palmf:
- Bobrova/Soloviev don't skate their RW to the music :drama: I must be totally deaf then. And blind.

Source: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/865580

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
Maxim Staviski: ....

And some his words are just :dbana:
- The Shibs are Chinese dolls;
- Cappellini/Lanotte skate the same dance every season, :laugh2:
- Bates has no choreography, and expressionless stoned face :palmf:
- Bobrova/Soloviev don't skate their RW to the music :drama: I must be totally deaf then. And blind.

Source: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/865580

Bates is one of the most emotive ice-skaters that's why, despite the height difference, he and Madison are so well-matched. I'd say that observation applies more to Alex Shibutani _ doesn't emote well on ice. But I admit they (the Shibs) have a very good FD this season _ their music is a huge, huge help. As far as choreography, C/B's is most straightforward and most integrative in terms of interpretation perfectly addresses the background of the Rachmaninoff's concerto. I understand Staviski is a great ice-skater but I don't think he understands the music. Igor with Najarro did a great job of the music. Now, C/B just have to raise the level of their technical elements to make this, ice dance-wise, a standout routine.

robredo40

On the Ice
Weaver and Poje to win C&B are bad this year not even Igor`s Politicking and Judging buddies can save them.

caitie

Medalist
I'm picking Weaver and Poje for the win here. They already beat the Shibs, B/S, and C/L. Obviously H/D are not a threat to them.

Chock and Bates are the wildcard. Madison had twizzle errors at Skate America and CoC, and they got Level 2s on three out of four of their FD step sequences, which is terrible. In the pattern, it's been level 2s and 3s at both events -- not great. The thing is, they actually ARE a strong technical team. They had the best levels at 2014 Worlds and were the only team to get perfect levels in the SD at 2015 Worlds, so you can't write them off. I do think it's possible that they will show up here looking strong and ready to go, but even if that's the case, I think the judges' confidence in them has taken a hit, and momentum means a lot in ice dance.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Bates is one of the most emotive ice-skaters that's why, despite the height difference, he and Madison are so well-matched. I'd say that observation applies more to Alex Shibutani _ doesn't emote well on ice. But I admit they (the Shibs) have a very good FD this season _ their music is a huge, huge help. As far as choreography, C/B's is most straightforward and most integrative in terms of interpretation perfectly addresses the background of the Rachmaninoff's concerto. I understand Staviski is a great ice-skater but I don't think he understands the music. Igor with Najarro did a great job of the music. Now, C/B just have to raise the level of their technical elements to make this, ice dance-wise, a standout routine.

You know Astrid, I think sometimes you, me and Doris are the only three hardcore C/B fans on here. Evan CAN emote. His boy-next-door, aw shucks, Jimmy Stewart looks tend to work against his ability to use his entire body to emote. Low key isn't stone. And Madison has such charisma that his lower wattage tends to be overshadowed by her. I think people here are underestimating them--just as they did Guignard and Fabri.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
You know Astrid, I think sometimes you, me and Doris are the only three hardcore C/B fans on here..

Wait, what??? I'm the first person to mention C/B in this thread, and I'm left out? :no: (And the only post from Doris in this topic is to support Bobrova & Soloviev)? :thumbsup: ;)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wait, what??? I'm the first person to mention C/B in this thread, and I'm left out? :no: (And the only post from Doris in this topic is to support Bobrova & Soloviev)? :thumbsup: ;)

Mea culpa. Consider Yourself Added. :)

ETA: See, we're already growing in numbers!

Astrid56

Final Flight
I am not really a huge figure-skating fan but I would say I enjoyed G&G's and Torvill/Dean's skating. Anyway, I became a C/B fan after seeing this FD (2011-12 season) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xoqqk2h0k0 . Interestingly, despite a huge disparity in height, they danced well together. I hope they'll hire a good choreographer for their routines and choose more danceable music. Najarro is, I think, great but his choreographic style :think: : is much more suited to Latin-inspired programs. Finally, I hope they'll change Evan's costume in this Rachmaninoff program _ the cut emphasizes his lankiness too much but the colors are appropriate and symbolic of the theme of the program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Really, I have stayed out of the predictions because I like so many of these teams. I just wanted to give Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev a shoutout because this season they have the best programs I have ever seen from them! And they are wonderful!

And so do the Shibs have truly wonderful programs, really suited to them! Great job this season guys!

And I have got to support Maddie and Evan in taking what is a new direction for them, while simultaneously having to fight to get TPTB to OK their their SD music! I hope they get their programs together and really show us their best at the GPF. I would remind folks of Meryl & Charlie's 2011 Tango, with which they struggled leading up to their first world title. It was time for them to broaden their range, and it is not easy, ever, when a team does that.

Anna and Luca are indeed returning to what are their proven successful themes, but they do those so well. :)

And of the group, Kaitlyn and Andrew seem to be the most consistent this season, and likely will win, despite their FD not being my favorite. Their attention to detail and commitment to their programs, this season, and in past seasons, is truly admirable.

And Maddie and Zach have made a brave charge this season, moving to Dubreuil and Lauzon, and have improved a lot.

I can't wait to see them all perform at the GPF!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Really, I have stayed out of the predictions because I like so many of these teams. I just wanted to give Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev a shoutout because this season they have the best programs I have ever seen from them! And they are wonderful!

And so do the Shibs have truly wonderful programs, really suited to them! Great job this season guys!

And I have got to support Maddie and Evan in taking what is a new direction for them, while simultaneously having to fight to get TPTB to OK their their SD music! I hope they get their programs together and really show us their best at the GPF. I would remind folks of Meryl & Charlie's 2011 Tango, with which they struggled leading up to their first world title. It was time for them to broaden their range, and it is not easy, ever, when a team does that.

Anna and Luca are indeed returning to what are their proven successful themes, but they do those so well. :)

And of the group, Kaitlyn and Andrew seem to be the most consistent this season, and likely will win, despite their FD not being my favorite. Their attention to detail and commitment to their programs, this season, and in past seasons, is truly admirable.

And Maddie and Zach have made a brave charge this season, moving to Dubreuil and Lauzon, and have improved a lot.

I can't wait to see them all perform at the GPF!

I pretty much agree with all of this. Hub/Don have been, by far, the most successful of the new Montreal teams. I actually like them and their SD (which is, for all its problems as a waltz/march, really is the best program from Dub/Lau this year). Cap/Lan are doing the same old same old, but they really do lighthearted better than any current dance couple. WePo will probably win the GPF, and while I am not a fan of the FD, the SD really is a terrific, old fashioned (in the best sense of the word) waltz. It has been a joy to see the Shibs come into their own as mature, adult skaters (even when portraying a doll). And Bob/Sol are a terrific reminder of what makes the High Russian Style so great. I've just been more vocal about my Chock/Bates love because I think they get much less of it here than they deserve. But, hey, de gustibus and all that jazz.

It really is a fine group of IDers for the GPF. Massively looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Add me to the list of just-can't-waiters!

There are really no teams I don't like in this, so I will be happy with any podium provided the Shibs are on it :).

deedee1

Record Breaker
I have clicked 'Thumbs-Up!' three times in a row; on sabinfire for Chock/Bates, then Mathman for Shib/Shib, then Doris for Bob/Solo. ;) and I am a biiiig Poje fan.:love: Why? Doris in post #16 has done a great reasoning for me, too. :biggrin:

Good luck to every teams. I want fair judging, no politiks, and let the best team win! :cheer: