Japanese Coaches | Golden Skate

Japanese Coaches

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
So many beautiful skaters from Japan are fan favourites and yet the coaches are not as spoken about as those from Russia, Canada and America.

So, here is a thread. Marvel at Nobuo Sato and Machiko Yamada's records! Aww at Mihoko Higuchi's cuteness! Gush about Yamato Tamura's hotness! Whether it is the fascinating, the fun or the frivolous, fan fest away! :biggrin:

P.S. Here is a wiki entry of some links of coaches. Not all are there, but I thought it might be useful to some people.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
To start the thread off, this of Yamato made me roar with laughter. Bless the fans who translate these things for us non-Japanese speakers: without them, we would miss so much fun!

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am so amazed by Tamura, aside hotness, ( I confess that I love to replay over and over Satton's, Yuna's and Marin's K/C because of him ) this interview of him is so heartwarming and sweet, full of care and tenderness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsmK8qZt5Dg
I am really big fan of Hamada/Tamura team, I remember Hamada from the times when she was coaching Yukina Ota, I was so disappointed when she retired that early because of injury. Now I look at this team and I cant help but admire, their girls are so refined, so polished, I appreciate this so much.

ioanna

Record Breaker
To start the thread off, this of Yamato made me roar with laughter. Bless the fans who translate these things for us non-Japanese speakers: without them, we would miss so much fun!

That is my gifset so I'm glad you liked it. It's from tinyqueensatoko.tumblr.com, a Satoko Miyahara fanblog I started with Ms. magicaleggplant. To Satoko fans with tumblr accounts, you're welcome to follow the blog! :biggrin:

Ok enough with the self-promotion and back on topic. Nobuo Sato and Machiko Yamada are legends. I love Mie Hamada's students. I'm expecting more retired skaters to become coaches just like Yamato Tamura (Nobunari Oda and Tatsuki Machida have expressed their desire to coach at some point). Akiko Suzuki is already teaching Rika Hongo. It will be nice to see these lovely skaters sitting in the kiss and cry with future talents.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I love it, ioanna! Such a funny moment captured!

I am really looking forward to seeing Akiko coaching more. I think she has the necessary qualities to be an excellent coach.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Nanami Abe!

She played a huge part in launching Yuzuru Hanyu on his road to glory, and who can forget Hanyu's Romeo and Juliet #1 at 2012 Worlds...? Abe choreographed that, and it was a performance that brought her tears of joy.

She is also credited with choreographing many other skaters including Tatsuki Machida and Akiko Suzuki, and this season's programs for Wakaba Higuchi and Miyu Nakashio (excellent choreography in my opinion, well matched with those skaters)

She still choreographs some of Hanyu's exhibition pieces too...

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Mie Hamada made me laugh with Satoko today. She was jumping and down in her seat, more excited than her skater! It was cute!

And, on a shallow note, Yamato looked very fetching in his nice winter coat and green tie. He went with the more serious, approving look. Perhaps deciding when to next tell Satoko she sucked? :laugh:

I really love Mihoko Higuchi- she always looks so encouraging and sweet - I was so glad she got a nice skate from Kanako. They look so happy and sunny together. :luv17: She and Shoma always look like they have such a lovely relationship too. :love:

mikaboo

Medalist
Mie Hamada made me laugh with Satoko today. She was jumping and down in her seat, more excited than her skater! It was cute!

And, on a shallow note, Yamato looked very fetching in his nice winter coat and green tie. He went with the more serious, approving look. Perhaps deciding when to next tell Satoko she sucked? :laugh:

I really love Mihoko Higuchi- she always looks so encouraging and sweet - I was so glad she got a nice skate from Kanako. They look so happy and sunny together. :luv17: She and Shoma always look like they have such a lovely relationship too. :love:

On a even shallower note, I'm glad Yamato sensei had a different coat on from last year's ugly brown thing :laugh:
Congratulations to Team Hamada for qualifying 3 of their students for JW and Worlds!
I read an article that said Cathy Reed will be formally signing up with them next year. They need all the help they can get so good for them and her.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Is Nanami Abe contacted by JSF to choreograph galas for them? As she was at 2014 worlds & NHK. Not sure who did for 2015 NHK and National gala tomorrow though.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I do think the honorable mention should go to Coach Sato, it's under his push (and insist) that we get to see Mao with a 3Lz of correct edge, and the beautiful SS and edge works from both Mao and Kozuka. BTW, it is also reported at the end of the following news, that for the all Japan Nationals this year, the journalists were honoring Coach Sato for attending Japan Nationals consecutively for 60 years, non-stop starting from when he was a competetive skater:

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1584905.html

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
yeeeeeeeeeeee a thread about Yamato tomato!:yahoo:
subscribing!:agree:

we had so much shallow fun at the utube сyrillic chat during the JGP shipping him with Tomas Verner:laugh2:

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Mihoko Higuchi + Shoma must be the cutest coach/skater pair in history tbh. She seems so so nice and supportive! I love her.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I'm sorry but every time I see Yamato I'm struggling to take him seriously after this.
https://www.facebook.com/moments.skating/videos/149284958767446/
oh wow, thanks for that, although i knew he was a dork i didnt know he was The Dorkiest of them all ,now i wont be able to take him seriously too :laugh2: btw he has got nice legs :biggrin:
Not sure if it was that specific performance... but I believe he actually injured himself pretty badly during that fall at the start. But he didn't tell anyone and continued performing his show routines for at least another couple of nights before it became so painful that he sought treatment...!

That story came up in a TV show with Yamato, Honda and Arakawa (they are old friends), where they just chatted and reminisced over a meal and a few drinks. Well, a lot of drinks in Yamato's case... LOL... :-D

Last edited: