Boston as a Tourist | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Boston as a Tourist

someday

Rinkside
The ones in London are decent...perhaps a bit more expensive than typical Japanese restaurants, but tasty!

- - - Updated - - -

Question for someone in Boston: have you eaten at Wagamama? Is it a good take away place and is the food good.? The menu sounded yummy.

The ones in London are decent...perhaps a bit more expensive than typical Japanese restaurants, but tasty!

- - - Updated - - -

To me, March is not the best time of year to visit Boston. Sorry. I advised my friends to travel to WashingtonD.C. after the Worlds to see the cherry blossoms. :laugh:
If the weather's nice. I would walk the Freedom Trail. It's a piece of American history.
https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/book-tour/public-tours.shtml
There are many different tours offered by The Freedom Trail Foundation. Even if you are not interested in a group or individual tour, their website is very helpful at explaining all the stops on the Freedom Trail, and you can pick and choose if anywhere on there you want to spend more time with.
I normally take my friends there, and also Harvard and MIT, to get a photo with the Statue of the three lies in Harvard and the Stata Center (designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry) in MIT. Around the corner from MIT, there's Toscanini's Ice Cream, highly recommend.

Do not go on a whale watching trip in March. It's too cold in March and the sea is rough that time of the year. I would definitely recommend a whale watching trip between May-Sep.

What type of clothes should we pack?

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
Layers. Weather has been very unpredictable this year.

I second that. The weather has been erratic to say the least. Valentines Day had a high temperature of about 10º and the following weekend was in the 50s-60s. Since then it's been a yo-yo between that and below-freezing temps with snow to yesterday's high of 75º. I'm wishing for all the visitors that we get a spell of unseasonably warm weather again during the event, but with any luck we'll end up having a week of snow.

Of all the things I could recommend, I'd say pack some good rain gear.

MaureenKB

Rinkside
A great place for shopping and eating is the Faneuil Hall Marketplace. It is actually four markets; the Quincy Market has a Food Colonnade with restaurants and 36 international food vendors to choose from. It is a ten minute walk from TD Garden.
http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

If you like fish and history, you might try the Union Oyster House. It is on Union Street and a few blocks from the market. It is the oldest restaurant in Boston open since 1826.
http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/pages/history.html

We were in Boston for Nationals in 2014 and found many great places to eat in the Market.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes I am, good guess ;). I can't pass up the chance of trying Asian food in another city although I would also like to try the local favorites. Someone upthread suggested pizzas and I would love to try some as well as the Italian pastries. And the famous Boston cream pie :cool:
I'm excited to try boston public transportation, I'm so glad that it's reliable. I live in the suburbs so driving is the only way to go. It's refreshing to get out and try something else. I hope that the weather God - as well as skating God - cooperate to give all of us the best time of our lives :yahoo:

Seafood,especially clam chowder. The pizza was not particularly memorable, though admittedly I never tried it in the South Boston area, which is probably where the good pizza joints are. Unless things have changed, the T closes at midnight. Being a NYer, I was shocked the first time I was there and my friend wanted to go out at EIGHT PM. I was like, nobody will be there. He was like , Oh honey you have never been to Boston before have you? LOL!

If there are any poetry fans out there, a must see is Grolier Bookshop in Cambridge. It's a Poetry Shrine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grolier_Poetry_Bookshop

peese

Medalist
I know Worlds are a bit over two weeks away, but I am an avid follower of Accuweather and the forecast that week is calling for sunny and mid 50s! They are usually pretty bang on.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I know Worlds are a bit over two weeks away, but I am an avid follower of Accuweather and the forecast that week is calling for sunny and mid 50s! They are usually pretty bang on.

Fingers crossed this is right, but I put virtually no stock in weather forecasts even 1 week out, let alone two.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When do the swan boat rides in the Public Garden begin for the season? Ditto for "Ride the Ducks?"

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Thank you, BOTH! maybe we can take the "Duck" tour this time. We tried to back in August 2009 (the day we left Boston), but we had our car with us, and it was impossible to find a parking space. This tiime we're coming up to Boston by train, so no parking worries!

shyne

Final Flight
^ Thank you, BOTH! maybe we can take the "Duck" tour this time. We tried to back in August 2009 (the day we left Boston), but we had our car with us, and it was impossible to find a parking space. This tiime we're coming up to Boston by train, so no parking worries!

Weather has been unpredictable this year (I'm sure Philly as well). In the past it's somewhat cold and windy to do Duck Tour in end of March/early April.
I would suggest to bring a coat with you (unless it's 70 degrees out :laugh:).

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weather has been unpredictable this year (I'm sure Philly as well). In the past it's somewhat cold and windy to do Duck Tour in end of March/early April.
I would suggest to bring a coat with you (unless it's 70 degrees out :laugh:).

We're packing mostly winter stuff, since the arena could be cold. Yes, weather has been unpredictable in Philly as well (we hit 80 + degrees last Wednesday & Thursday - yesterday we were back to relatively "normal" weather for late winter). Layering is the way to go, I guess!

charmblade

Final Flight

Some of the Duck Boat tours leave from the Museum of Science, which is a short walk from the TD Garden, so depending on your schedule you could just walk over there.

shyne

Final Flight
Has anyone been to the Warren Anatomical Museum? It sounds like my kind of thing.

It's not really a "museum", it's a very small collection at the fifth floor of the Harvard Medical Library. To get in you need to show a photo ID. If you are interested, sure. They have some very unique pieces.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love visiting the Kennedy Library. Knowing us it will be out of the question this time since we'll be spending most of the week "camped out" @ the rink.