Koshiro Shimada | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Koshiro Shimada

icetug

Medalist
Too many mistakes in FP and 11th place - but he was 5th overall, what in fact is quite an achievement :thumbsup:. Congratulations!
As this was the best place of juniors, hope for JWC :pray:.

EDIT: Yes! He got that second spot for JWC!

icetug

Medalist
Thank you, KiaraChin! There are many great photos of Koshiro and Kazuki on that instagram account :love:.

And here is Koshiro's performance at Medallists on Ice. As the juniors were skating part of the seniors' programs, Koshiro got Shoma's "Moonlight Sonata" :luv17:.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Congratz to Koshiro and Stephane sensei, for the 5th place overall, though they probably aren't satisfied with the FS performance.

Been having busy days and don't know where to start after seeing quite a few amount of media coverage on Koshiro!:yahoo:
I hope you all are enjoying winter holidays, getting prepared for the new year to come.

Hiya, just wanted to show you guys this cute pic published by Kazuki Tomono on his instagram! It was on the backstage of Medallists on Ice show.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br1DrvOhUYZ/

Should be the other way around since Koshiro is now bigger than Kazuki, but nevermind... :laugh:
I'm sure they missed each other after Tomono-kun moved up to senior and Koshiro in Champery! It seems they're almost always together at every opportunity they get :dance:

And here is Koshiro's performance at Medallists on Ice. As the juniors were skating part of the seniors' programs, Koshiro got Shoma's "Moonlight Sonata" :luv17:.
I'm totally upset at one of the local networks here, which is supposed to distribute Fuji's broadcasts to Koshiro's hometown, Ehime, for not broadcasting it at all when our hometown hero is actually shown!!! Thanks a lot for that link :love:

I happened to find the FS final group 6 mins warm-up on youtube, which showed Koshiro landing 4T (3:50) and 4S (only in slow 5:03) They both look clean to me (but not sure, I'm not skating-savy enough to judge), and I hope he can make it some other time.

There are many interview articles on Koshiro lately, but all basically say the same. It's probably better to directly listen to him talking in English than my translation of edited articles. (I guess many of you have already checked it out, but just posting it here as a reminder for later.)
https://twitter.com/sportsjapan/status/1077237130898751488
According to Jack Gallagher's podcast, he is visiting Champery and he's interviewing him and Stephane! :thumbsup: Can't wait!

His responses in English reminded me of my own beginner days, like, saying "scary" instead of "scared" :biggrin: (I still make many mistakes and errors, especially when talking, so that's that.) So, here is one thing I want Koshiro's fans to remember. If he sounds somewhat green or young in his soon-to-be-better English, his interview responses in Japanese have always been sophisticated and well-thought out since his younger days (like he didn't mind reading a translated novel for adults with loads of tough kanji when he was only low-teen), and many fans are always amazed at his intelligence and maturity. I'm posting a translation of his long interview article here later, though my translation may not deliver his smartness properly or may sound weird.

EDIT:
Forgotten to mention that Koshiro was also selected as 3rd alt for Worlds (senior) and he needs to get senior minimum, as DenissVFan said on the previous page. That may mean that he's skipping high school championship in Japan, but it would be probably a lot easier for him if he stays in Europe anyways. (And I'll have to find a live streaming again!)

Tsurara

On the Ice
<translation to the below article (interviewed during GPF), part 1>
https://global.canon/ja/event/skating/interview/2018_2019/shimada.html
*Please feel free to correct mistakes and errors below

17 year-old blossomed after moving his base to Switzerland
Gaining confidence with the result of winning 3rd place at JPGF

By Mie Noguchi (sports writer)

Koshiro Shimada got on the podium as 3rd place at JGPF. Having moved his base to Switzerland last year and learned quads, he is now in the race for the top skaters. I interviewed him about his passion for skating.

First 4T success
“I want to get results while pulling out the big guns”

- You succeeded at your first (official) 4T at JGPF and made the podium. Congratulations.

The morning practice went well, and I was confident enough to land it just fine if I managed to perform as I practiced. After landing the first 4T, I felt a burst of confidence and I could skate well to the end. I’m pleased at the fact that I could land it in the atmosphere of such tension, but now I’m starting to think (feel the pressure) that I need to continue landing more in competitions from now on.

- Your SP was 4th, and you performed FS with the possibility of making the podium in mind.

Considering the points gap and being placed 4th, I could reach 1st if I managed to deliver my best performance. Trying to bottle up my ambitious feelings under such circumstances would only lead me to feel more nervous. So, I told myself, like “I’m definitely going to make the podium,” and went on the ice with a strong determination. But I went a bit too ambitious, which caused some mistakes.

- Your coach, Stephane Lambiel, said, “Koshiro has gotten the face of a fighting man.” (note: I cannot find the exact wording he used.) What do you think for yourself?

I do feel that my goal has gotten gradually higher after every competition. As I didn’t have 3A last year, I only wanted to deliver a satisfactory performance and that was about it. Now that I have 3A, quads, and some tough stuff in my program, I started to strongly feel “I want results”. So far, I got on podiums in all the competitions I entered this season. I hope both my coach and family notice that I’ve been doing better little by little.

- Making the podium at JGPF, you’re expected to do well at Junior Worlds too.

Making the podium here gave me a great confidence. But if I get to compete at JW, I want to do better as the other skaters will also be prepared for peak performance. It was fortunate that I was in a good condition this time around. I need to practice more and I want to be able to deliver my best no matter what my condition is like.

Only male skater at a local skating class in Ehime
Learning “Skating is fun” at Novice days

- Tell me what it was like when you started skating. There aren’t many skaters from Ehime prefecture yet.

I was 6 when I started learning it. It was just so fun, didn't matter how many times I fell, and I was really into it. It’s my unforgettable experience. I begged my mother to take me there so many times, and I joined this skating class. At that time, there were no boys in the class except for me, and even my half-jump was praised by everyone. They gave me a heart to enjoy skating. (note: or, ‘I learned how to enjoy skating thanks to them.’)

- Then you started serious lessons as a skater at a rink in Okayama.

I went to Okayama, wishing to be better at skating and to be able to rotate as many as possible. That rink happened to be the home rink of Daisuke Takahashi. I was amazed watching Vancouver Olympic when I was in the 3rd grade, and I admired him. I didn’t know enough about skating back then yet, though. Still, going to Okayama expanded my world, I saw so many skaters there and it was awesome every single day.

- My impression was that you were a very cute boy with good expression at Novice days.

At that time, I was just having fun with skating, and I innocently expressed the joy inside my heart, like, showing how fun it is to skate. I never meant to be expressive or anything. I had a competitive spirit, and I hate losing. I was athletic enough and used to take various lessons such as tennis, swimming, gymnastics, hip-hop and ballet, so I was a kind of a boy who always wants to win in everything.

- 3A is one of the obstacles that every male skater has to get through. How hard was it for you?

There was a time I was feeling uneasy and thought that I had no improvements when I couldn’t do 3A or quads. I started practicing 3A at my first junior year, and it took me 4 to 5 years to claim that I actually learned it. When I landed it for the first time, I felt like, “this easy?” I could land it easily like 2A, and felt like it generated some energy afterward. I don’t know if it’s my own energy heating the air, but I felt some warm breeze around my body.

[To be continued]

Tsurara

On the Ice
<translation to the below article (interviewed during GPF), part 2>
https://global.canon/ja/event/skatin...9/shimada.html

Moving to Switzerland alone at age 16, cooking for himself
“Detailed usage of body for positive effects”

- With 3A as your weapon, you were expected to flourish. Unfortunately you rested last season because of your left adductor muscle strain.

When I was about to increase the amount of practice for stable 3As, I got injured. It was just around when I decided to move to Switzerland, and I needed to sort out my physical condition first. Coach Stephane recommended me to a hospital/doctor in Toronto and I focused on recovery there.

- What made you decide to move to Switzerland?

Kotoe Nagasawa, my former coach since my elementary years, had to move to a rink in Shiga prefecture. When I couldn’t decide whether I follow her or not, Stephane sensei invited me, saying that he’d take care of me. I made up my mind believing that I could devote myself to skating if I go to Switzerland.

- You left your mother and moved to Switzerland alone at age of 16. What is your life like there?

As expected, the hardest part is food. Cheese and dairy products taste great there, but I need to eat more than just those. The area I live in is in the countryside with only one co-op store for groceries, which mainly sells big chunks of meat and not much variety. For now, I’m trying to eat a lot. (note: sort of quantity over quality comment here.) It would be a bit too frugal to live solely on meat, so I’m trying to eat vegetables too, but cooking for myself is quite hard. Still, my weight, which was only 45 kg before I moved to Switzerland, is now 55, and I hope I got a bit stronger.

- So you gained weight pretty much.

I’ve been growing taller since 7th grade (for 4 years), but finally it’s about to stop now. Right now I’m trying to strengthen my body with training to increase usable muscles. Stephane sensei makes off-ice training plans for me, and I barely keep up with them.

- What are some significant differences in Lambiel sensei’s lessons?

The biggest difference from the lessons in Japan (that I know) is that he focuses on pointing out which part of the body should be used for everything, including jumps, skating, and spins. In Japan, you just try some jumps in a blind effort, and then coaches would tell you to correct what looked bad in an appearance. Stephane sense's coaching is more detailed and internal (note: opposed to appearance). He tells me things like, use this muscle here, put your weight on here, stretch this part, and so on, it’s very detailed. Thanks to him, I’ve been learning how to use my own body differently and I’m starting to see the fruits in my (competition) results now.

- It seems Lambiel sensei gives you a very detailed coaching.

He is extremely detail-oriented. When he finds just a tiny bit of difference in where I put my weight on or a small part of the body I used, he goes, “I know I’m repeating this, but you aren’t doing it right,” and he wouldn’t let that pass to move forward. I’m rather a methodical person myself, but he’s 10 times more so than I am. But that is an optimal method for on-ice training and I’m trying to keep up with him.

- So, that method is how you made a successful quad jump?

Before this season started, I was mainly practicing 3A, and my quad attempts were more like just for fun. Then I started trying it seriously, and I kind of got a hunch how to land it in a week. I managed it at this pretty good pace because thoroughly learning how to use my body on ice was effective, I think.

- Have you got the hang of 4T?

Stephane sensei gives me various advice through trial and error, showing me his own jumps, too. He can still land 4T without any warming-up. Deniss Vasiljevs and I both go like “when we’re still struggling to do it...(he does it so easily)” His quad is of good quality, showing us a great example.

Eyeing 4S and 4Lz
Rivalry: Competing and learning from each other

- You have a great friendly rivalry with Vasiljevs.

Yes, we always practice together competing each other, like who can jump (successfully) first or who can jump more, seriously but also playfully. As for off-ice training, Deniss-kun has a way stronger body and he deals with a significant amount. On the other hand, as for on-ice, I have a lighter weight which makes instantaneous movements easier, and Stephane sensei says “In terms of timing and feeling, Koshiro is a bit ahead.” We’ve been trying to improve by competing and inspiring each other.

- I hear that you’ve been practicing 4S as well.

I usually practice both 4S and 4T at about the same rate. Eventually, I’d like to have two different quads in competition, and I’m planning to try 4Lz in the near future. For the time being, I find quad jumps as something very difficult, but when/if I get to feel like I can jump them as nothing special, like triples, then I can compete with different quads in my program. I need to work on that from here on.

- At the end of the year 2018, All Japan Championships awaits you as one of the qualifier trials for the Junior Worlds. You will be competing with your hero, Daisuke Takahashi, with a huge age gap between 32 years old and 17 years old.

It’s a rare opportunity to compete with top skaters representing Japan and I’m looking forward to it. I’ll be focusing on my own performance, but if I get a chance to watch his performance, I’d like to watch it carefully and learn from him. I aim to do better than JGPF there at both SP and FS.

- Finally, tell me about your plan for the future again?

Moving to Switzerland, I realize that I’m lucky being allowed to do what I really like to do to the full extent. I’ve been able to enjoy every competition this season, and I think I’ve been growing mentally too. I’d like to improve my English ability, further deepen the trusting relationships with my coaches in Switzerland, and grow more.

Interviewed at GPF in December, 2018

~fin~

Last edited:

fourthdimension

On the Ice
<translation to the below article (interviewed during GPF), part 2>
https://global.canon/ja/event/skatin...9/shimada.html

Moving to Switzerland alone at age 16, cooking for himself
“Detailed usage of body for positive effects”

- With 3A as your weapon, you were expected to flourish. Unfortunately you rested last season because of your left adductor muscle strain.

I was going to increase the amount of practice for stable 3As when I got injured. It was just around when I was moving to Switzerland, and I needed to sort out my physical condition first. Coach Stephane recommended me to a hospital/doctor in Toronto and I focused on recovery there.

- What made you decide to move to Switzerland?

Kotoe Nagasawa, my former coach since my elementary years, had to move to a rink in Shiga prefecture. When I couldn’t decide whether I follow her or not, Stephane sensei invited me, saying that he’d take care of me. I made up my mind believing that I could devote myself to skating if I go to Switzerland.

- You left your mother and moved to Switzerland alone at age of 16. What is your life like there?

As expected, the hardest part is food. Cheese and dairy products taste great there, but I need to eat more than just those. The area I live in is in the countryside with only one co-op store for groceries, which mainly sells big chunks of meat and not much variety. For now, I’m trying to eat a lot. (note: sort of quantity over quality comment here.) It would be a bit too frugal to live solely on meat, so I’m trying to eat vegetables too, but cooking for myself is quite hard. Still, my weight, which was only 45 kg before I moved to Switzerland, is now 55, and I hope I got a bit stronger.

- So you gained weight pretty much.

I’ve been growing taller since 7th grade (for 4 years), but finally it’s about to stop now. Right now I’m trying to strengthen my body with training to increase usable muscles. Stephane sensei makes off-ice training plans for me, and I barely keep up with them.

- What are some significant differences in Lambiel sensei’s lessons?

The biggest difference from the lessons in Japan (that I know) is that he focuses on pointing out which part of the body should be used for everything, including jumps, skating, and spins. In Japan, you just try some jumps in a blind effort, and then coaches would tell you to correct what looked bad in an appearance. Stephane sense's coaching is more detailed and internal (note: not sure what he meant by this particular word). He tells me things like, use this muscle here, put your weight on here, stretch this part, and so on, it’s very detailed. Thanks to him, I’ve been learning how to use my own body differently and I’m starting to see the fruits in my (competition) results now.

- It seems Lambiel sensei gives you a very detailed coaching.

He is extremely detail-oriented. When he finds just a tiny bit of difference in where I put my weight on or a small part of the body I used, he goes, “I know I’m repeating this, but you aren’t doing it right,” and he wouldn’t let that pass to move forward. I’m rather a methodical person myself, but he’s 10 times more so than I am. But that is an optimal method for on-ice training and I’m trying to keep up with him.

- So, that method is how you made a successful quad jump?

Before this season started, I was mainly practicing 3A, and my quad attempts were more like just for fun. Then I started trying it seriously, and I kind of got a hunch how to land it in a week. I managed it at this pretty good pace because thoroughly learning how to use my body on ice was effective, I think.

- Have you got the hang of 4T?

Stephane sensei gives me various advice through trial and error, showing me his own jumps, too. He can still land 4T without any warming-up. Deniss Vasiljevs and I both go like “when we’re still struggling to do it...(he does it so easily)” His quad is of good quality, showing us a great example.

Eyeing 4S and 4Lz
Rivalry: Competing and learning from each other

- You have a great friendly rivalry with Vasiljevs.

Yes, we always practice together competing each other, like who can jump (successfully) first or who can jump more, seriously but also playfully. As for off-ice training, Deniss-kun has a way stronger body and he deals with a significant amount. On the other hand, as for on-ice, I have a lighter weight which makes instantaneous movements easier, and Stephane sensei says “In terms of timing and feeling, Koshiro is a bit ahead.” We’ve been trying to improve by competing and inspiring each other.

- I hear that you’ve been practicing 4S as well.

I usually practice both 4S and 4T at about the same rate. Eventually, I’d like to have two different quads in competition, and I’m planning to try 4Lz in the near future. For the time being, I find quad jumps as something very difficult, but when/if I get to feel like I can jump them as nothing special, like triples, then I can compete with different quads in my program. I need to work on that from here on.

- At the end of the year 2018, All Japan Championships awaits you as one of the qualifier trials for the Junior Worlds. You will be competing with your hero, Daisuke Takahashi, with a huge age gap between 32 years old and 17 years old.

It’s a rare opportunity to compete with top skaters representing Japan and I’m looking forward to it. I’ll be focusing on my own performance, but if I get a chance to watch his performance, I’d like to watch it carefully and learn from him. I aim to do better than JGPF there at both SP and FS.

- Finally, tell me about your plan for the future again?

Moving to Switzerland, I realize that I’m lucky being allowed to do what I really like to do to the full extent. I’ve been able to enjoy every competition this season, and I think I’ve been growing mentally too. I’d like to improve my English ability, further deepen the trusting relationships with my coaches in Switzerland, and grow more.

Interviewed at GPF in December, 2018

~fin~

Thank you so much for the translation- Koshiro’s intelligence and thoughtfulness really does come through

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Thank you soooo much!
It’s soo deep and interessting! I cannot say how grateful I am to you! I know how much work it is!

I got to know so much more about him as a person (amazing that he is that competitive) and even though I follow and read everything concering team Champéry for like two years now, even there he got us some insides that (i at least) didn’t know before!

Once again.. thanks so so much 🙏🙏🙏

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Oh and - having spoken to Deniss myself - I really find similarities in their thoughtfulness and intelligence! I think they really make great training mates ❤️

Tsurara

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the translation- Koshiro’s intelligence and thoughtfulness really does come through
Glad to hear that! Thank you for the feedback!
(BTW, I've found bits of errors, and I'll fix them later.)

I got to know so much more about him as a person (amazing that he is that competitive) and even though I follow and read everything concering team Champéry for like two years now, even there he got us some insides that (i at least) didn’t know before!
I'd like to learn more about Champéry too! My knowledge is quite limited unfortunately.
Would you please list some "must-check" sites for the news, if it's not too much to ask?
(Maybe I should start learning French...?)

Oh and - having spoken to Deniss myself - I really find similarities in their thoughtfulness and intelligence! I think they really make great training mates ❤️
That sounds great! I should probably read a lot more on Deniss too, as well as other Champéry skaters!
Koshiro seems to make friends with basically everyone, but I bet it'd be a lot better when they have many things in common.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Cute article here, (in japanese)
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/12/30/kiji/20181230s00079000092000c.html
The title roughly translates, "Koshiro Shimada, 17yrs old, instilled with Japanese Figure-skating DNA: Rapid growth by "45 mins of Brush-up" (referring to his experience with Japanese top skaters in Vancouver) I fail in translating prose text, but tried anyways. (Japanese media is quite arrogant when it comes to figureskating...it's quite embarrassing.)

On December 4, 2018, Koshiro Shimada (17, Kinoshita Group) let out desperate steamy breaths in a suburban rink in Vancouver, Canada. He had just arrived there for JGPF starting in 2 days. The members of Team Japan were provided with 45 minutes of practice time there. For Shimada, who joined them last, it was supposed to be part of regular events to prepare for the competition.

“On the first day I arrived, I joined the senior skaters for practice. It felt like I was thrown into a pack of sharks… It was a small rink and they were skating around at extreme speed that made my head spin.”

There he saw 4 top skaters representing Japan in the front line: Shoma Uno, the Pyeongchang silver medalist, sharpening his senses with his FS number “Moonlight Sonata” on, Satoko ‘Miss Perfect’ Miyahara, attempting multiple combination jumps, Kaori Sakamoto, who later became Japan’s new queen, being absorbed in checking her choreo, and Rika Kihira executing beautiful 3As.

All four of them known for their strong work ethic in practice, they were putting final touches to their performance. Shimada shared such a valuable time of 45 minutes with them. Inspired with awe, he said with a bitter smile,

“I was (like) a baby shark.”

A vague sense of shame stirred the 17-year-old. After another practice next day, he got over with it and said,

“It’s a great opportunity for me. I’d like to try and appeal (to them?) (make my presence felt).”

He moved to Switzerland last summer to train under Stephane Lambiel, former world champion. He is now used to his life in English, cooking his own food every day, like Menchi-katsu, and aims to produce expressive performances like his teacher. He’s been making continuous efforts with each passing day in the environment he sought himself. Now that it brought him an awareness and responsibility of what it means to represent Japan, his eyes turned into those of a fighter.

As expected, he won bronze at JGPF. He landed a 4T too. At Nats, he took third place in SP with a score of 80.46 points, behind Uno and Daisuke Takahashi. Experiencing the astonishing 45 minutes in Vancouver, his body has certainly been instilled with the “DNA” of Team Japan.

Repeating success and failure, the 17-year-old is climbing up the stairs. The pressure of skating the last dropped him to 11th in FP, and he finished 5th overall. “I feel really sorry for closing the last national championships of Heisei era with my poor performance,” said Shimada. Seeing his student disheartened, Lambiel gently comforted him, “You had a very important experience.” Shimada, who compared himself to a baby fish, is growing rapidly. And the “45 minutes of Brush-up” added momentum to his growth.

The last skater of the nationals in Heisei era (as the Heisei era comes to an end this spring) left the rink saying,

“I battled it out. It was only a short and busy time between JGPF and Nats, but I got a great experience, some provision for my life as a skater. I’m sure I can make use of it in the days ahead.”

He pictures himself taking a leap forward in the new era.

It appears that Yoshiki Kogaito, a super-popular Japanese photographer known for Hanyu's godly shots, knows (or is learning) how to get the best shots of Koshiro too. Loving this one too.

Here is another article on 'post-Hanyu' quest that media loves publishing. I'll just translate Koshiro's quotes.
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/othersports/figure/2018/12/31/post_45/

"Last year (in 2017) when I was injured, I was watching Junior skaters results (at Nats) and I realized that 3A was not something difficult but necessary (to win). I believe that's why I've been able to earn points from 3A this season. I wasn't exactly pushing myself after JGPF, but I got this result. It gave me confidence for the future."

"(My condition) was good until yesterday's official practice. But the moment I woke up this morning, I was too nervous, and before my performance(while waiting for my turn), I desperately wanted to run away."

"After the performance, Stephane said, 'Maybe you should have gone for 4T instead of 4S in the last half.' But I couldn't smoothly replace it with a Toe-loop, which has a higher success rate. So I also felt the need of learning how to switch my feelings (to forget and move on). But I had a rare experience. Last 4 jumps in the second half, including the combo, weren't bad and no big mistakes. So, I think it was fruitful."

More on Koshiro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYoywAa-oc&t
(Nats summary of top 3 in SP before FS)
"I skate, go home, take care of myself, and then I skate, rinse and repeat. It's like struggling to get through each day." (Regarding his skating life)
"Allow me to have the honor of closing the show with my performance." (Koshiro's comment after the draw. He said it like jokingly, but this is not what a teen-ager would say. Maybe Shoma is right when he said that there's a little old man hiding in Koshiro's body.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsnzwRGtT0
(Showing Koshiro doing exercise in a bottom left window, and some basic introductions to him, Champery, and Stephane's comment in English.)
"Fans were waiting for this man to come back!" (announcer excited at his successful SP)
Koshiro after SP (probably before the draw) "I want to try and catch up with the big brothers aggressively."

Tsurara

On the Ice
Stars On Ice 2019 tour (in April, presented by Kinoshita Group) has announced the skaters for Kanazawa and Sapporo shows, and Koshiro will be appearing there.

https://l-tike.com/sports/mevent/?mid=404212

The skaters announced as appearing in Kanazawa:
Shoma Uno, Patrick Chan, Javier Fernandez, Koshiro Shimada, Satoko Miyahara, Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford, and Maia & Alex Shibutani.

and those in Sapporo:
Patrick Chan, Javier Fernandez, Koshiro Shimada, Satoko Miyahara, Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Yuuna Shiraiwa, Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford, and Maia & Alex Shibutani.

(Another one in Osaka at the end of March has not been announced yet.)

Also TL filled with people tweeting the news of Koshiro's interview articles on the coming issue of "anan" (Hanyu-kun for main, titled as "How to enjoy 2019 figure skate" with Koshiro and Tomono-kun's interview) and a seemingly small(?) featuring article on Koshiro in "Number".

Tsurara

On the Ice
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/01/16/kiji/20190116s00079000178000c.html
JSF announced today (Jan 16 JST) a list of skaters assigned for international competitions in the second half of the season, and Koshiro is assigned for Bavarian Open, Oberstdorf, Germany (Feb 5-10) to get Senior TES minimum as he's the third alt for Worlds. (Satoko Miyahara, Yuuto Kishina, and Yuna Aoki are also assigned there, and some other Japanese skaters for Challenge Cup and Coupe de Printemps too.)

It's going to be a little tough for him to prepare for Senior programs for Bavarian to get TES min and at the same time to prepare for the original Junior programs for Junior Worlds in early March, but considering how his last season was, I'm sure he's happy that he can try both and do his best. Ganbare!

edit: According to another news article, Yuuna Shiraiwa is also assigned for Bavarian Open, most likely as a Junior skater this time to get TES minimum for Junior Worlds in March.

Too bad, I can't read German and can't confirm it from German news source...:( Can someone enlighten me with further information later when they come up?

Last edited:

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/01/16/kiji/20190116s00079000178000c.html
JSF announced today (Jan 16 JST) a list of skaters assigned for international competitions in the second half of the season, and Koshiro is assigned for Bavarian Open, Oberstdorf, Germany (Feb 5-10) to get Senior TES minimum as he's the third alt for Worlds. (Satoko Miyahara, Yuuto Kishina, and Yuuna Aoki are also assigned there, and some other Japanese skaters for Challenge Cup and Coupe de Printemps too.)

It's going to be a little tough for him to prepare for Senior programs for Bavarian to get TES min and at the same time to prepare for the original Junior programs for Junior Worlds in early March, but considering how his last season was, I'm sure he's happy that he can try both and do his best. Ganbare!

Too bad, I can't read German and can't confirm it from German news source...:( Can someone enlighten me with further information later when they come up?

That are great news. I´m so happy to be able to see Koshiro.:hap93::hap10:

If there are any German news I can post them here. But the last years news, official entries etc. always came very shortly before the event.:rolleye:

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Oh wow, that’s great news..

As I am German I am just a bit sad I really cannot go there spontaniously because I have a really important privat appointment that weekend..

And Stéph also can’t go there with him because he will be skating Art on Ice right then.. but he’ll hopefully be fine with Rob.

I didn’t find an entry list for the event though yet...

Tsurara

On the Ice
If there are any German news I can post them here. But the last years news, official entries etc. always came very shortly before the event.:rolleye:
:luv17: Danke!!! Love you~:love:! Please do not worry and no rush! I'm sure both the media and fans will be very busy for a while with Euros, American and Canadian nationals for a while and then 4CC and lot more anyways. I can be very patient! Thanks a ton in advance!

And Stéph also can’t go there with him because he will be skating Art on Ice right then.. but he’ll hopefully be fine with Rob.
I'm pretty sure Koshiro will be perfectly fine with Coach Rob, he sure loves him too! (Though I sometimes do wish Stephane could make his doubles to show up everywhere he's wanted!) I remember reading somewhere about Koshiro enjoying watching and copying Rob's jumps as he rotates clockwise or whatever (I think he said clockwise or in a different direction from his) and as a result he's learned a better balance or something along that line. My impression from articles and his interviews, he seems to be proud and enjoying working with great coaches in Champery.

Hi Guys , I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like Koshiro will be in SOI in early April....
https://twitter.com/ro_ta_5511/status/1085808200400527360
Yes you are correct, ime! Scroll up a few posts up and see my "Stars on Ice 2019 tour..." post, please!

I just found out today that Kinoshita Group has also updated their supporting skaters' schedule on their site,
http://kinoshita-group-sports.com/figureskating/
He, along with Satoko, will be showing up in all three SOI shows including Osaka, although the one for Osaka isn't officially announced (for sale) yet (as far as I can find so far).
<edit>
Actually it was announced on the official SOI site today (Jan 18).
https://figureskate-soi.com/skaters.html

And someone uploaded an article image from a magazine, "Number" (which I mentioned before)
https://twitter.com/ellie_wing1207/status/1085848688801378309

<edit>
“Now that I think about it, I have experienced something more precious than winning a lottery.”

At All Japan Championships last December, Koshiro Shimada was the last to skate in Men’s free program. In the midst of extreme tension right after Daisuke Takahashi’s performance, he went for a challenging routine with 2 different quads, which he hadn’t succeeded in competition yet.

“Both my attempts failed and ended up in doubles, it was disappointing but I gained experience points (=learned, like a game exp) more than ever before. I couldn’t do anything last year because of injury. This season, I’d like to keep reminding myself to challenge.”

He finished 5th over all, and got a ticket to the Junior Worlds in March. He’s been training hard in Switzerland under Stephane Lambiel since the year before last.

“Aiming for Beijing Olympic, 3 years from now. For the future, I’m interested in choreographing too. Since I’m now with Stephane, a great example of a choreographer, I’d like to learn from him as much as I can.”

Tsurara

On the Ice
Here's the 'anan' (girls' fashion/life magazine) interview article online.
https://ananweb.jp/news/213501/
Title: To Switzerland Alone: "a tall Japanese skater", Koshiro Shimada, 17 yrs old
He talks a little bit about Deniss and Stephane too, it's so sweet.

Aiming to deliver beautiful performances, without considering quads as something particularly difficult

Koshiro Shimada, 17 yrs old, has grown taller since our last coverage and now he is 174 cm. “I have to stretch out my limbs nicely or they stand out even more in a bad way, and also I’ve been told that I’ve got a bad posture, so...” Even though we all know he has to go through extra troubles, having long limbs is surely a gift to be treasured on ice. While keeping his childlike innocence when he smiles, he now has nice and more sophisticated vibes of a grown man. His expressiveness, noted by figure-skating fans for long since his early days, is even more polished. This season, after overcoming his injury, he got on the podium at JGPF for the first time, and his talent is starting to blossom.

Behind his growth, Stephane Lambiel, a renowned figure skater for his excellent artistry, plays a significant role as his coach. Shimada moved alone to Switzerland and has been training under him since last season.

“I had an impression that coach Stephane was a bit ‘too nice/soft (not strict)’ before, but once we’re a coach and a student, I see that he has a different strictness from that of Japanese teachers. Every day he takes an earnest approach to our practice, and I too try to communicate well with him by verbalizing my thoughts and questions when there’s any. We have this practice where we try very difficult skating and steps; it’s a series of sequences and patterns filled with unexpected movements and it’s really tough. But with such practices and all, I believe that my basic skating skill has improved and I can really feel that I got mentally stronger too.”

The rink is located in the mountains of the Alps. In the ‘All you can do there is nothing but to skate!’ environment, he spends his days soaking himself with skating. Daily conversation is in English, and he has to cook for himself. Living alone in an unfamiliar place made him feel a bit lonely sometimes in the beggining, but that lasted only for the first few months.

“Nowadays, when I go back to Switzerland after a competition in Japan, it feels like ‘I’m back’. On the other hand, when I come back to Japan, I enjoy some local gourmets or go out to eat ramen (like a tourist). I think I’m enjoying Japan a lot more than before.”

His current favorite place is a lakeside walking course.
On a day-off when he has no practice, he sometimes travels there on a train for an hour or so for a change.

“On the way to the town, there is a huge lake surrounded by mountains. You can enjoy a splendid view of beautiful nature there. I find it really relaxing just by walking around the lake. It’s my favorite place now that I occasionally visit.”

Moreover, spending off-ice time with his teammates in rivalry is invaluable for him. He especially enjoys spending time with Deniss Vasiljevs from Latvia, who is also very popular in Japan.

“He really has a wide variety of hobbies. He says he has a dream of opening a cake shop (more like patisserie?) at some time in the future, and he bakes cakes for us. I sometimes go help him with baking. What I do is just mixing and stirring, though. (laugh) Coach Stephane too sometimes cooks Swiss cuisine for us, like Raclette and Fondue au fromage. Even then, all we talk about is skating.”

The World Junior Championships, another huge event, awaits him in March. And when it’s over and the next season comes, he’s moving up to the senior level.

“I would like to be able to jump quads and 3A easily. Because, if I consider them as difficult jumps, I end up paying too much attention to them and I get too nervous. I have to improve that now, and I’d like to aim to deliver beautiful performances.”

Actually, he is interested in choreography, too. He secretly practices choreographing at warm-ups, thinking “I would dance like this here” to the popular tunes often used in figure skating competitions. Of course we would love to see him perform a self-choreoed piece some time, but let us first witness his last valiant performance as a junior skater in March.

Koshiro Shimada: Born on September 11, 2001, in Ehime prefecture. Started skating at age of 6, making his mark since his novice days before moving up to juniors. His first appearance at Japan's Nationals was at age 14, placed 11th and won a New Face Award.

※ From “anan” 2019 Jan 30th Issue. Photo by Maki Ogasawara (for Shimada). Interviewed and Written by Yuko Saito (original Japanese article)

(There are a few more things unpublished online but published on the actual magazine. I'll wait a bit more to do that part.)

Tsurara

On the Ice
Haha, that's very cute and funny.:laugh: Thank you, KiraraChin!
The quotes there are the artist's creative? imagination, making them speak the artists thoughts on the articles.
"It's so bold of you, Tomono-kun, to include your real student life in it. On top of that, your 'moe' sleeves"
"C'mon, Koshiro, you too. Lakeside walking route, you say? That's tres chic"