Koshiro Shimada | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Koshiro Shimada

KiraraChin

Medalist
Haha, that's very cute and funny.:laugh: Thank you, KiraraChin!
The quotes there are the artist's creative? imagination, making them speak the artists thoughts on the articles.
"It's so bold of you, Tomono-kun, to include your real student life in it. On top of that, your 'moe' sleeves"
"C'mon, Koshiro, you too. Lakeside walking route, you say? That's tres chic"

Hahahaha thanks for the translation... I can just imagine a conversation exactly like that in real life... :laugh:

Tsurara

On the Ice
I was looking back at what he said before the season started.
Maybe these interviews by Fuji TV from last summer were not translated yet.

Summer Camps Interview

Senior Camp (Team Japan Summer Camp, July 22-25, Karuizawa, Nagano)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j76HaDdS6fU

-Thoughts on the Senior Camp
Before I got here, I was really looking forward to it. I was so thrilled and excited that I could, after a long time, skate with my fellow Japanese skaters, and what’s more, they’re Seniors. Then, just after 2 days, I was already worn out and drained. (laugh) The skating lesson by Jeffrey Buttle was very tough, too. I also had my programs checked by JSF. I’ve been really focused (on training and everything at the camp), and I’m having a good time here.

-About the previous season
In short, it was such a disappointing/frustrating one for me. I couldn’t accept the fact myself that I wasn’t able to practice as I wanted. My struggle was both mental and physical (against negative thoughts and injury), so it was an extremely rough season. But now that I think about it, I guess it served as some nice (mental) pabulum for me.
When the Olympics started, I was already healed enough to skate. After watching SP, I had some practice myself and my condition was just great. How to put it, like my feelings were running high. Thinking that the next one is coming up in 4 years and it’s just around the corner, I realized that I had to do my best to aim for it. I was like trembling with excitement. I got a great influence from it, so I enjoyed watching it.

-You grew taller.
I’m now 174 cm. It’s about to stop (to grow) now. In the past year, let me see, I think I got 4 to 5 or maybe 3 cm taller. But in the past 2-3 years, twenty-something cm in total. (laugh) I gained some weight too, so hopefully I’ve got somewhat stronger than before.

-New challenges
Let’s see, I’ve been working on building up my body specifically. I’ve been to Canada for off-ice training, too. I’ve also been challenging some difficult jumps while keeping up with off-ice training. I’m working to raise the overall levels.

-Training in Switzerland
Training with Coach Stephane and Deniss, they both inspire me greatly. Coach Stephane is still great, or greater and even more polished with his skating than before when he was skating competitively. He jumps quads and 3A, and he too inspires me a lot (like a rival skater would). (laugh) Deniss-kun, I’ve been practicing with him together all the time, and we have a great friendly rivalry. We both acknowledge each other as a rival. Well, actually my skating is still that of a junior skater, though. I want to catch up with him little by little.

-About Coach Lambiel
Mainly I’m learning skating techniques from him. He also gives me a great mental support, so I would like to show him how I’ve got stronger this season, even for a bit.

-About Satoko Miyahara, whom you had an opportunity to train with during the off-season
She took part in the Olympics as one of Japan’s top skaters. I too was moved so much by her performances. I had a great opportunity to have some off-ice training with her, and had dinners together and some talks too. Like, what the world level top athletes have in mind when they’re competing (or training), how sophisticated their off-ice trainings are, and so on. I learned a lot and it was great for me.

-New programs
SP is a number called “Adios”, by the same singer as Nathan Chen’s “Nemesis” from last season. It’s a really cool song, so I want to perform it cool too. FS is “Winter in Buenos Aires”. This also happens to be the same music as the one Satoko Miyahara uses for her FS, such an amazing coincidence, I think. I’m trying and aiming for some different mature skating and expression, and I’d like to hopefully improve that part to make them more sophisticated with each competition (one by one, gradually). Both SP and FS are choreographed by Coach Stephane Lambiel. We two put our heads together to create them.

-Goals for this season
I couldn’t compete at all last year. I only took part in 2 competitions. So, most of all, I want to appear in many competitions, accumulate a lot of experience to improve myself. Of course, I do aim to win 1st at Japan Juniors too, then from there, the podium at JW, and so on. So many in mind, but for now, I just hope to add up one by one.

Junior Camp (July 26-29, Toyota(Chukyo univ), Aichi)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6EXtpgdUgk

-Thoughts on the Junior Camp
I was allowed to take part in both camps for Seniors and Juniors. As they are valuable and I really wanted to join both of them, I’m having fulfilling days now with these camps. As for Senior Camp, it was like watching the top skaters and learn from them, there were a lot to absorb. Of course, there are a lot to absorb from Junior Camp too, but it’s more about being inspired by skating with the skaters of my age. Jumps, spins, steps, and everything, it’s great that there are so many to learn from them by watching their strong points. Both camps are great and tough as well, but great experience for me.
Last season, I was very disappointed that I couldn’t skate (compete) with them at all, so I’m just so pleased to be able to skate with them now, even for training. And as I said earlier, I’ve been inspired a lot.

-You’re one of the older kids in Juniors now.
(laugh) Well, I guess I’m now in a position of a big brother here at this camp. I’ve been joining these camps for some time now, since Keiji-kun (Tanaka) and Ryuju-kun (Hino)’s generation. I hope to be able to pass on what we’ve learned by watching them to the younger generation, to those coming up from Novice, too.

-Goals for this season
In rivalry, you know how you sometimes win and sometimes lose. I want to keep competing with them seriously and earnestly so as to actually win, and that should go on even after moving up to Seniors. I’d really like to treasure such competitions.

Tsurara

On the Ice
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...kamoto-look-lead-japan-sweep-four-continents/

Miyahara, who was fortunate to finish third at the nationals, will try to get back on track ahead of the worlds. She will be joined in Germany by Yuna Aoki, Yuto Kishina and Koshiro Shimada, who finished fifth at nationals as a junior, and will be skating as a senior. The 17-year-old is Japan’s first alternate for the worlds this season.

:shrug: I guess I'm not the only one with a half-dead brain right now... Koshiro is 3rd alt, not first for the worlds this season. Just in case. Yes, juuust in case.

I wonder what happened to Jack Gallagher's "interviewing Koshiro and Stephane Lambiel in Champery in January"...I'm not exactly a fan of their podcast, but I've been checking his tweets every day since he tweeted he was in Zurich and no news yet :(

Tsurara

On the Ice
Koshiro with Satoko Miyahara, Yuto Kishina, and Rob coach together arrived in Germany (like 10 hrs ago or so?), by Fujitvskate
https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/1093332883450806272
(photos of snowy mountains there, Yuna Shiraiwa, Wakana Naganawa, and the four)

Shizuku-san uploaded beautiful GPF moments with a lot of Koshiro+Stephane (and Minsk one with Deniss+Stephane)

Here is some translation of a bit of extra part from the magazine "anan" (unpublished online)

Message from Stephane to Koshiro
Spending 2 seasons as a coach, I've been really grateful for his passion and determination, and I'm expecting a lot to see his growth both as a skater and as a man/human being. Having learned 3A and 2 different quads within a year and been trying to polish his artistry, Koshiro has a wonderful talent. I believe his days in Switzerland inspire him to open the door to the world. And as long as he wants, I would like to help him with it. Oh, and thank you (to Koshiro) for cooking Menchi-katsu sometimes for me!

Kozuka's comment summary (continuation from this article introducing more skaters but unpublished online *These articles are for casual fans or those who are not very familiar with fs.)
Sub-titled as "Check out for Team Lambiel", he mentioned Jason Brown and Deniss V (with his Last Samurai photo and his profile) as those who attract us with skating, not just by jumps, like Takahashi. Then he introduced Stephane and his Team (with a short mention of Koshiro being in his team). He talked about Stephane's "Flamenco (from Poeta)", and explained how Swiss skaters have always been great at spins and creative new spins were always introduced by them, such as Denise Biellmann and Lucinda Ruh. (Which is why he personally expects a lot from Team Lambiel now.)

DenissVFan

Medalist
Congratulations to Koshiro on winning the gold at Bavarian Open and landing 4T-3T with positive GOE!

Tsurara

On the Ice
Glad to see him finally on the top of the podium this season, though I'm sure he isn't completely happy with it.
https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/1094807476258648064
"Getting over with National's FS, which was too frustrating that he says he was almost traumatized by it, he won his first Senior competition. Beautiful 4T+3T! Now back to Junior Worlds where he competed two seasons ago!" by Fuji TV Skate official twitter

Somehow Yamato (who accompanied Satoko Miyahara, Yuto Kishina, and Yuna Shiraiwa) is getting a happy photo shoot with Koshiro's diploma and trophy.
https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/1094807476258648064

Here is the only media coverage (Koshiro's hometown local news paper) I found so far. Nothing new in it though.
https://www.ehime-np.co.jp/article/news201902110069

Tsurara

On the Ice
From Yuuto Kishina's instagram (from Okayama, one of Koshiro's JP rivals for long)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtyHSeOHNe7/
Yuuto, Koshiro, and Satoko enjoying time after Bavarian Open together. Maybe they all went to watch AOI too?

From Yuna Aoki's instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btx5A3LnMSO/
I don't get Koshiro's jacket... hmm
Maybe he's showing off how he got used to European winter, it's no big deal and he's fine without a heavy jacket or something...?

Kozuka Blades's instagram (introducing him as one of the Kozuka Blades users + congratulating Koshiro's victory)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btx4QgPnEBO/
(Koshiro once said that he started landing quads successfully thanks to their blades.)

Jack Gallagher tweeted he's uploading their podcast tonight, about 4CC medalists, Satoko and Koshiro at Bavarian Open.
https://twitter.com/sportsjapan/status/1095178018769723392
It's already past 1 am and I'm still waiting...:sad46:

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
It was great to see Koshiro live at Bavarian Open and he was clearly one of my highlights at the event. And I was so happy for him when he won.:dance::hap10:

I could´t find any german articles about him, but when my PC works again (or I have a new one) I can upload a few photos.

Tsurara

On the Ice
http://swissjoho.com/archives/42148
SwissJoho.com (literally, SwissInfo.com) released an article on AOI and had a little interview with Stephane in Zurich.
It says:

Q: How's Shimada's condition?
L: Very good. He's now in Oberstdorf, Germany. He has a competition tomorrow.

The reliable coach showed his fist putting his thumb beween other fingers, which means "Good luck!" in Switzerland.
The next day, on 8th, a figure skating competition called Bavarian Open was held in Oberstdorf and had Men Single Short Programs. Koshiro Shimada placed 2nd, scoring 69.29!

Q: What about Shimada attracted you to support him?
L: When I first saw him skate in a competition in Davos, which was when he was still little, I thought he was talented. After that, I met him again in Japan, and we talked about coaching him. He's been good at skating since he was a little child.

A competition in Davos? I'm not very familiar with international Novice competitions, but does anyone know or guess which one he's referring to?

---
It was great to see Koshiro live at Bavarian Open and he was clearly one of my highlights at the event. And I was so happy for him when he won.:dance::hap10:

I could´t find any german articles about him, but when my PC works again (or I have a new one) I can upload a few photos.

:luv17: Thank you! (PC problem...? Hope your PC is alright and starts working soon, but no rush.)

Tsurara

On the Ice
Pandicorn, Danke!
Of course, watching the performances should always be the first priority ;)
That first photo shows he's already possessed. He always looks really different on ice.

Koshiro always surprises me.
Last summer, his come back and getting JSF's B-class designation (=lowest tier, but getting funded again, meaning he did great at summer camps)
Starting JGP series with his stable 3A and fresh programs, and most of all, his usual big smiles.
Then his first 4T attempts at East JP Junior(UR) and All JP Junior(fall), and then his first successful 4T with positive goe at JGPF,
Clean 4T and 4S at warm-up in Nationals, although he couldn't execute them in the actual performance.
Now, 4T+3T and improved skating at Bavarian Open.
I hope he can put them all together nicely at Junior Worlds to surprise us all again. (maybe not 4S though)

icetug

Medalist
A competition in Davos? I'm not very familiar with international Novice competitions, but does anyone know or guess which one he's referring to?

I've never heart about any international competitions in Davos (I mean recently, there were even World championships organized years ago)... so maybe Stephane was talking about an ice show?
What I found is the Ice Legends, the first Stephane's own show, in Geneve, Dec. 2014. There were three kids involved: Noah Bodenstein - Stephane's student (10 y.o. at the time), Marin Honda and Koshiro. Here are photos from rehearsal, Koshiro is in the 26-28th. He was so little then, even smaller than Noah :laugh: And other ones, from the show - see no 3 :luv17:, 24 and 25
I don't know whether Koshiro and Stephane met before, but as far as I remember they saw each other in Lillehammer at Youth Olympic Games in February 2016 and after these competitions the question of coaching arose. But of course I may be wrong.

icetug

Medalist
Yuuto, Koshiro, and Satoko enjoying time after Bavarian Open together. Maybe they all went to watch AOI too?

I expect so. Why would they have travelled almost 500 km to Champery? (however Deniss' avocado tarta could have been a reason ;)). The more the show was in Lausanne then.

I don't get Koshiro's jacket... hmm
Maybe he's showing off how he got used to European winter, it's no big deal and he's fine without a heavy jacket or something...?

In fact I have similar woolen jacket and it's great for the mild winter (to some minus 5 degrees) - and the temperature in Oberstdorf and Champery was about plus 2 C at that time.

Matccha

Spectator
I don't know whether Koshiro and Stephane met before, but as far as I remember they saw each other in Lillehammer at Youth Olympic Games in February 2016 and after these competitions the question of coaching arose. But of course I may be wrong.

I don't have the source at the moment, but I remembered in one of Stephane's older interviews he said he first met Koshiro at a camp when he was quite young and he really liked the way he skated. I assume it's one of those summer camps he teaches for JSF. That's how Koshiro got invited to Ice Legends in 2014 :)

Also, thank you everyone above for providing all the articles and translations!

Tsurara

On the Ice
(however Deniss' avocado tarta could have been a reason ;)).
That might explain why other girls weren't with them (to avoid getting 'tortured' by such a temptation) :laugh: (Satoko is known to eat loads without worrying about gaining weight.)

In fact I have similar woolen jacket and it's great for the mild winter (to some minus 5 degrees) - and the temperature in Oberstdorf and Champery was about plus 2 C at that time.
So, that's the mild winter there...:eek:hwell:

I've never heart about any international competitions in Davos (I mean recently, there were even World championships organized years ago)... so maybe Stephane was talking about an ice show?
What I found is the Ice Legends, the first Stephane's own show, in Geneve, Dec. 2014. There were three kids involved: Noah Bodenstein - Stephane's student (10 y.o. at the time), Marin Honda and Koshiro. Here are photos from rehearsal, Koshiro is in the 26-28th. He was so little then, even smaller than Noah :laugh: And other ones, from the show - see no 3 :luv17:, 24 and 25
I don't have the source at the moment, but I remembered in one of Stephane's older interviews he said he first met Koshiro at a camp when he was quite young and he really liked the way he skated. I assume it's one of those summer camps he teaches for JSF. That's how Koshiro got invited to Ice Legends in 2014 :)
Thank you both! I think you both are right. Multiple translations and summarizing attempt for articles could mess things up, or their oversight or w/e.
As far as I know, what Reut-san wrote a while ago is the most accurate with regard to his relocation in Stephane's view, but I wanted to make sure. Because, I can't keep track of everything in the past especially in his novice days, let alone ice shows, but he's been somewhat known in the skaters' community and you could spot Koshiro being mentioned (or appearing) here and there, or where you never expected. (Like, you don't expect to see Koshiro's name when you're reading someone's tweet about a 5 yr-old interview article of Javier and Thomas Verner...)

So, to summarize up:
Jul 2013, Koshiro joined his third Nobeyama camp (for novice prospects) and met Stephane (as an instructor) for the first time. (2012 camp had Jeffrey Buttle and 2014 Vitali Novikov)
Dec 2014, Koshiro in Ice Legends. (and more ice shows in 2013-2016)
Feb 2016, Koshiro took part in Lillehammer Youth Olympic (where he/JSF asked Stephane for choreo, also talked about coaching?)
Dec 2016, a little fuss over Koshiro's relocation on social media
Mar-Apr 2017, Nagasawa moved to Shiga prefecture.
Apr 2017, Kinoshita Group officially announced Koshiro's support (Koshiro went to Toronto for treatment)
May 2017, Koshiro moved to Champery, started living alone (According to Koshiro's interview, it was meant to be a casual trial at first)