Koshiro Shimada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Koshiro Shimada

malo42

On the Ice
When I first saw his R&J all I could think was that whenever I hear that music all I think of is Yuzuru :laugh: But as I watched it I liked it and I think I'll like it more as the season goes on. If he can nail his jumps it'll be a great program for him.

Plumededragon

Medalist
While I'm not a fan (yet) of that kid, I'm really curious about him. 😊 Since I'll go JGP in St-Gervais, I'll see him live soon (and throw him a little plushie on the ice lol ;)) and see the difference between live and videos.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
And here's his FS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfUEbnPZUo
Looks much better than at DOI :clap: And it sounds like he gained some new fans there as well.

i have to say loveeed his Chaplin FS so much , this one feels like a step back (i partially blame Yuzuru for it :biggrin:) , there are some repetetive arm movements that are bothering me, also i dont understand why he does solo 3T , he can repeat 3lo since he is prone to edge call on his flip, he will probably change his layout during season but he did the same last season as well so i am not sure :think:

yhmafan

Medalist
While I'm not a fan (yet) of that kid, I'm really curious about him. 😊 Since I'll go JGP in St-Gervais, I'll see him live soon (and throw him a little plushie on the ice lol ;)) and see the difference between live and videos.

That's cool. we're looking forward to hearing from you :)

Last edited:

malo42

On the Ice
In the Japanese Skaters tread Mikaboo translated the interview with Koshiro's coach (thank you so much!) and it was super interesting. I really agreed a lot with his coach and Utako about how boys can get their difficult jumps later and it doesn't have to be such a rush. in the past I've thought "Why doesn't Koshiro just go for the 3A in his SP?" But after his SP in Gervais it occurred to me why he really can't, he can't afford to fall on a URed 3A when he's always making other silly mistakes in the SP. It's pretty disappointing to see the silly mistakes in the SP carry on to this season, if it continues like this throughout the season him and his coach need to seriously consider some things...

I mean I really don't want to be too negative but I don't want to see him missing podiums because he can't skate a clean SP 😔 I don't think his placement here is bad at all, especially with the missed jump. I just hope he skates clean tomorrow!

mikaboo

Medalist
^^Thanks for reminding me malo42. I was going to repost the interview here but forgot to do it.
Utako Nagamitsu's interview with Koshiro's coach Kotoe Nagasawa. She used to be Hiroshi Nagakubo's (Akiko, Rika, Sota's coach) partner in Pairs.

---------
I’ve translated most of Koshiro’s interview (Part 1) from Kenji’s Room from the J SPORTS website. I’ve skipped some of the (unnecessary) remarks Kenji makes and summarized some parts.
http://www.jsports.co.jp/press/article/N2016090512441706.html
M - Kenji Miyamoto
S - Koshiro Shimada

M: Here is Koshiro Shimada. He’s the youngest guest on this show. How old are you now?
S: 14 years old. 9th grade.
M: 9th grade, so you’re studying for the entrance exam?
S: No, I already did it when I entered junior high school.
M: That’s right, you’re good in school studies.
S: No, I’m not.
M: No, I know. I’ve heard about it.
S: I tried hard only at the beginning. I did my best for the exams.
M: What’s your favorite subject?
S: It used to be Japanese but I’ve become completely lost recently. I like the vice(?) subjects (music, art, physical education, home arts) now.

M: So we’re inviting skaters who have connections with Okayama but you’re not from Okayama are you?
S: I’m from Ehime.
M: How did you come to Okayama?
S: I found out that Coach Nagasawa teaches in Okayama and I wanted to be coached by her so I moved.
M: You used to train at Ehime?
S: From the time I started in kindergarten to 4th grade.
M: And you had so much fun the first time that you started skating?
S: Yes, it was really fun.
M: Were you with your mother?
S: Yes, and my older brother.
M: Were you able to skate straight away?
S: Not at all. I didn’t let go of the boards.
M: Did you play soccer and baseball too?
S: Soccer. Also gymnastics, swimming and tennis. I only did sports.
M: Tennis would suit you a lot. How did you choose skating amongst those other sports?
S: Simply put, it was the most fun. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like if I really improved on it so the unpredictability of it was fun.

M: Are there any skaters you admire?
S: I have a lot but Daisuke Takahashi, Machida, Hanyu, I like all of them.
M: If you had to choose one?
S: Daisuke Takahashi. I liked him from the beginning.
M: What do you like about him?
S: His expressions. I got hooked at Vancouver (Olympics).
M: Hooked (laughs)? But your expressions are really something too.
S: Thank you.
M: Sorry for always bursting out laughing when I’m choreographing you. Your expressions are really something from practice. Your eyes are constantly closed. And you skate like you’re feeling really good. I laugh in a good way when I see that.
M: You look up to Daisuke Takahashi for expressions. How about skating?
S: My ideal is too high, but Patrick Chan for skating.
M: Wow. How about jumps?
S: Yuzuru Hanyu for jumps.
M: Hanyu! How about spins?
S: Lambiel for spins.
M: They’re unbeatable!
S: I’m greedy (laughs).
M: Greedy? You have high ideals. That’s a good thing.
S: Thanks you.

M: You were 2nd at National Novice Championships in 2012. When was that?
S: 2nd year of Novice B and before you choreographed Don Quixote.
M: I remember the Don Quixote though. I was impressed.
M: Were you nervous then?
S: In the 1st year of Novice B, I was injured so I just did single jumps. I was just mostly skating and entered it for the experience but I got really nervous nonetheless.
M: Then after that was?
S: Asian Open Trophy.
M: And you won at an international competition.
S: Yes, I was surprised.
M: That’s great. It was your first int’l competition?
S: Yes, it was the first.
M: You must have been nervous.
S: I had cold sweat dripping.
M: Cold sweat dripping (laughs). How did Coach Nagasawa react?
S: She gave me many towels (laughs).
M: That many?
S: After the 6 minute warm-up, I was so sweaty. It was held in Bangkok so the temperature at the rink was high. I was sweating 2 types of sweat, cold sweat and normal sweat (laughs).
M: But the result was good.
S: Yes

M: You’re tall now but you were small then.
S: Really tiny.
M: Then the following year, you got the Novice title?
S: Yes.
M: That’s great. You hadn’t been in many competitions yet and yet you were winning gold and silver medals.
S: I was really nervous in my 1st novice year and couldn’t do any jumps during the 6 minute warm-up. I was aiming for the podium then so it was a good experience.
M: You grew so much. How many cm did you grow?
S: 12cm this year.
M: 12cm? But your torso stayed the same. Only your limbs grew.
S: I don’t know (laughs).
M: Do you do anything particular before your sweaty competitions?
S: I’m afraid that the sweat is taking away my stamina so I drink a lot. And when I go out, Coach Nagasawa says things to me to help me relax.
M: What does she say?
S: Something positive. Like, “It’s okay, you can do it.”
M: You’re really serious about practice.
S: I do as much as I can or else I’d get anxious and I think how practice leads to results.

M: When you were chosen for the top athletes’ list in 2015, did you feel anything?
S: I thought, “I’m on JSF’s website!” I became sentimental.
M: Like, “Oh that’s me”? What did you write under “Hobbies”?
S: Listening to music, watching manzai (standup comedy by 2 people), etc.
<Continued talks about manzai and music>

M: And after you made it on the list, you came in 4th at Junior Nationals. That’s great. Well, you already looked good during practice.
S: I was feeling good about it so I thought I’d do well.
M: And you got in 11th place at your first Nationals. How did you feel when you received the newcomers’s award?
S: I didn’t think there was such an award. I felt honored.
M: Which competition has left the most impression on you?
S: Hmmm. The last Junior Nationals. I felt really good skating to the FS.
M: Were you in the zone? Not feeling tired and all?
S: Yes, especially during Chaplin’s “Smile” part, the music felt good and I was able to skate feeling really good. I was thinking “jumps, jumps” but I was feeling more thrilled than nervous.
M: Chaplin was hard wasn’t it. It was like, “How do you move your feet around like that?” I was moved to tears when I was choreographing that Chaplin. It was that good.
M: Has there been any competitions that you really disliked or feel frustrated over?
S: The 2nd year of National Novice A when one of the jumps got zero points. The new rule then was that you couldn’t do the 2T 3 times but my combo became a 2T so the 3S2T received nothing and my score was so low.
M: Did you realize as you were jumping?
S: No, my coach didn’t realize either. Later, I went to see the scores and was told that it counted for nothing and I was so disappointed to see my low score.

M: How many programs have we done?
S: Just three. La Mancha, Chaplin and R+J.
M: You forgot one.
S: Happy Feet? The most impressionistic one for me is Chaplin because I experienced a lot throughout the season. I really like Romeo + Juliet too.
M: Thanks. When you practice, I always wonder, “What is that boy thinking?” when I see your expressions. Why is that?
S: I feel happy that I’m being choreographed and my feelings get really into it.
M: I tell you this all the time, but if I ever have a kid, I want him to be like you. You’re loved by everyone.
S: I hope that’s true.

Last edited:

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Now he is 15?! :eeking:
Boys are growing really fast!!

Anyway I`m looking forward to his next competition.:yahoo: