Young You | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Young You

gotoschool

Medalist
I was really surprised in a very pleasant way by Young You's exhibition performance and how totally into such a different character she was. It was so fresh and charming with a really energetic change in tempo in the mid section, some fine dancing and steps, beautiful expression and grace with her arms and face, and a great ending pose. I know the exhibition music, I Can Hear Bells and You Can't Stop the Beat, came from the movie HairSpray which was set in a Baltimore school, but another thing that I thought was ingenious about this exhibition performance was how much it reminded me of the video for the Korean / Japanese and Taiwanese female group Twice in their video for their recent smash hit song, What Is Love? Young's beautiful costume reminds me of the famous Korean Twice member Nayeon, who in the video also wears black glasses, a blue school uniform and tie with a plaid skirt and underwent a cool transformation in school when she took off her glasses. What makes it so interesting is that like Young's exhibition does with HairSpray, the What is Love? video makes illusions to many different movies like Ghost, Leon the Professional, Pulp Fiction, Romeo and Juliet, Princes Dairies and LaLaLand with each member playing out their fantasy of what love is to them while turning the channels on the TV, though in each case in the movies they see, it is doomed, forbidden or star crossed, in Shakespeare's words from Romeo and Juliet.

To connect the video with Young You's performance even more, It is really interesting that Young's SP music is also from Romeo and Juliet. Also at first, the movie HairSpray seems to be about a love that is doomed. It is about a girl named Betty who longs for love with a young man named Link, which seems impossible, as she suffers discrimination for being heavy set and for supporting integration of African Americans and whites, since the movie is set near the time of the US Civil Rights Movement in Baltimore in 1962. Betty identifies with the discrimination African Americans face and with their love of dance and music and learns some cool moves from them when in detention at school. She also gets arrested for her support. Yet in the end, Tracy's father Wilbur bails Betty out of jail. Her dream guy Link dances with her and with the African American girl, Little Inez, to show he supports integration too and then Betty and Link kiss. So, it seems to have a happier ending, though I confess I have only seen short parts of it.

Now, this last connection may be reaching a bit but I find it interesting. I admit I was really surprised when I saw that Young You's coach is the Japanese coach Mie Hamada, since I know that she also coaches Rika Kihira and Satoko Miyahra. This reminds me in a lot of ways of how the topic of integration is dealt with in HairSpray in a positive way as shown by Betty and Link supporting it and since Young You makes an obvious illusion with her costume, it also reminds me of how Twice is a group that integrates Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese members to make beautiful music together, though in this case Mie Hamada coaches her students to make beautiful skating performances. Anyway, I just find this fascinating and I think somebody really did their homework in coming up with this exhibition both in terms of cool choreography, costume and concept, which I find to be really inspiring in its fun and optimistic message, and more positive than the touch of sadness in the What is Love? video, though I really like the video and song too because the touch of melancholy mixed with playful humor and longing adds an emotional depth to its beauty.

I was a little late in watching Young You's SP, but I thought it was great. I especially enjoyed the beauty and power of her triple axel and the wonderfully spontaneous smile that sprang across her face when she landed. It really added a lot to her expression in the performance. I am also happy for Young that she gets to skate again at the Cup of China. Her performances are joy to watch and her exhibition is one of the highlights. I hope she will land everything clean along with two triple axels.

gotoschool

Medalist
I thought I would give a link to this impressive practice video of Young You's Skate Canada LP run though I just found. The performance is excellent and she does a really impressive triple axel in her run through,while Ted Bartlett gives her a lot of praise. I just realized that at 165 cm., I think Young You is the tallest woman to every land a triple axel in competition. I hope Young You skates great at Cup of China and makes the Grand Prix Final by skating clean, and landing her triple axels as well as she did in the SP and in this LP practice session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnulgn3980

gotoschool

Medalist
I hope Young You can relax, get some rest and have a joyous freeskate performance tomorrow. I wish her the best of success and a big comeback.

xpi0i21

Spectator
I hope Young You can relax, get some rest and have a joyous freeskate performance tomorrow. I wish her the best of success and a big comeback.

maybe the nerves got to her? she seemed really nervous today... i hope she relaxes and focus on her free skate tomorrow

moonstruck

On the Ice
Young :( She probably was feeling a lot of pressure to make the final. Tomorrow is a new day, hopefully she can relax for the free skate.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Too bad about the falls. Lack of nerves, confidence and/or experience to compete under pressure??

Too late for this year's GP, but since she is still only 15, lots of opportunities and chances still lie in front of her. KOR fed needs to support her, not drop her though.

gotoschool

Medalist
I really enjoyed Young You's LP performance. It was actually my favorite LP performance overall by the women, despite the opening fall. She climbed all the way from 7th to 4th. While the triple axel ur call looked correct, I thought the total number of ur calls was too harsh, especially considering what looked to be a couple of borderline landings in slow motion replay, without much pre-rotation or any obvious hooks, which I think shouldn't have been called. This is especially true since I think certain jumps in other programs were given more leniency. I am really fond of the flow and air position in her jumps, but I hope she can work on rotation or maybe on how to add more pre-rotation as is often done to fit the system, which doesn't focus on take off and landing points to more accurately measure actual rotation.

I thought her overall performance was a lot better in the LP. She looked more relaxed and committed. I also thought her PCS scores should be higher. She had excellent speed, flow, expression and posture and integrated them wonderfully with elements like the spread eagle transitioning into the triple loop and a picturesque Biellmann with fabulous centering and speed and the arcing arabesque at the end, while the highlight for me over was the stunning Ina Bauer leaning way back with such smooth speed timed just right to coincide with a sublime emotional peak in the music. In addition, the turns, flow and musicality in her step sequence were crisp, impressive and expressive, with a few groovy shoulder shakes and the quick sideways bend and turn with the arms and legs outstretched as she turned to face the camera and audience. As a rookie senior, she received the third highest score in the step sequence next to veterans, Satoko and Marin, who have been widely praised for their skating skills, which should have corresponded to higher skating skills and PCS in general in my opinion. Finally, her facial expressions, for example at the beginning and end of the program and during the Ina Bauer, are dramatic but subtle and not overdone. I think a portion of the harsher scoring was probably due to skating in the early group, the vestige of 6.0 system which has been frequently used on some and her lack of status in the system, neither of which have anything to do with the high quality of her performance.

I hope Young You can get some rest now and come back refreshed for Nationals.

Here is a great HD video of Young You's LP performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SL31Car7to

gotoschool

Medalist
I am confused as to when Korean Nationals competition actually begins maybe Saturday? and ends, but here is a great SP run through from Young You, with powerful and stately jumps, compelling expression especially with her arms and the fluidity of movement in her neck, head and shoulders. In addition, she has excellent skating skills with expansive rink coverage often skating or jumping near the boards, some high speed pirouettes, picturesque spins particularly the flexible illusion spin transitioning into the Biellman and I spin with fine centering and speed, and the highlight: a beautiful corkscrew triple axel riding a long arcing edge on entrance. Fabulous. I really like her unusual combination of abandon with a nice touch of grace in giving performances and how well she changes speeds to match the music. I really hope she can relax, stay focused and deliver like this in the competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFDViPfrCRU

Here is another angle of what I think is the same performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8drH4mSLXg

breadstal

Record Breaker
Congrats to Young for great SP and 3A! Mie Hamada went with her. I know they work together, but does she train with her exclusively in Japan?

Azikin

Medalist
Congratulations to Young You on her 4th National title with a great SP with such speed and passionate expression and a beautiful triple axel. She also did a good job holding onto her triple axel landing with a step out and going clean for the rest of her LP. I wish her two fabulous performances at 4CC's and Worlds.

SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZuy0NeyAQ

LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0D-Ie5xSx8

Thanks for the videos and congratulations indeed! But what do you mean by "4th National title"?

gotoschool

Medalist
Beautiful skate from Young You in her SP at the Youth Olympics. Though she didn't include her triple axel, her double axel, triple lutz/ triple toe, triple loop were fabulous and her spins, pirouettes and skating skills were fast, crisp with passionate expression, one of her best of the season. I think she should be ahead by more points. In the free, I hope she skates clean with an inspirational performance and that she lands a beautiful triple axel.

gotoschool

Medalist
Congratulations to Young You on her victory in the Youth Olympics with a fabulous freeskate setting such a high standard in all around excellence in fine fluidity, power and beauty in her spins, expression and jumps including a beautiful triple axel and many other triples next to the boards and stunning rink coverage which is one of the best hallmarks for outstanding skating skills. Here is a video with some remarks she made after her victory which display her ability to speak English well. https://youtu.be/3xWrcfv94EA?t=78

maea14

On the Ice
can I just say that I want you young to stay with mie hamada and vice versa.. like girl, she really did improved a lot under her..