2016 Europeans Men SP | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Men SP

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Fell asleep nearly the second after the last scores, but what a competition! Even my friend, who is not that into figure skating, watched it all the way through with me (and not just because I hid the TV remote). Great job by all the men, they really know how to perform! :clapper:

Esopian

Final Flight
Through the SP of the men at this event, I'm really glad Javi is skating so well and joined the "100 points club". :biggrin: His SP is probably my favourite of every program he has done so far (love the costume too!) and he's definitely secured for gold tomorrow.

I know this is quite early, but I'm very excited for how the competition between Javi and Yuzu will turn out at Worlds since they both scored over 100 points in the short and also achieved 200+ points for the free. :yay:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Well done, Javi! :dance2:
Tell me more about how the crazy technical stuff destroys figure skating ;) There were quads and there was incredible artistry there. This program is a masterpiece :luv17:

I'm just a little bit sad for Kolyada :(

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Tell me more about how the crazy technical stuff destroys figure skating ;) There were quads and there was incredible artistry there. This program is a masterpiece :luv17:

But it has to be said he can work on aproach to this quads, because he has done two simple circle around the same way, it lacks a lot transitions if we compare to Hanyu

Anyway Chan is not chasing Hanyu now, but Fernandez, and I have feeling Denis Ten will have strong showing at 4CC too :cool:

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
I completeley overestimated Russian men, I'm sad for Kolyada. Now, I'm getting my hopes up for Voronov for Worlds. Probably too soon :). I think Kolyada and Petrov will do better in FS. Still keeping fingers crossed for Amodio. Part of my wishful thinking: I put him on 2nd place in my predictions :dance2:

I was impressed by Bychenko's and Samohin's performance, the Latvian guy, too. Particularly glad for Righini. We saw more than a couple of good programmes :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Still keeping fingers crossed for Amodio. Part of my wishful thinking: I put him on 2nd place in my predictions
Im rooting for him soo much!
It would be epic for him to get a medal at this competition.
He needs to go with a BANG!:agree:

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Personally I don't agree with this at all, in my opinion quads are by far the most interesting elements in men's figure skating. I see no sense in following it at all if quads were removed.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Way behind here, but Ivan Righini's performance was magical even with no quads.

sowcow

On the Ice
I always figured Kovtun was 6'2 based on how lanky he skates but he's only 5'9! His posture is atrocious!

I find Kovtun's posture so bad, he is always hunched over he looks so awkward going into this jumps.

I realized some people are talking about Kovtun's posture, is it because he is tall so he has to hunch a bit more in order to put his CG at a suitable position so he can maintain his balance?

As I posted before, he's 5'9 according to google... Most of these skaters are 5'7-5'10 and don't have posture issues. Lysacek didn't have posture issues. None of the 5'11-6'3 men's pairs skaters (besides Chris Knierim) have posture issues... It's a personal issue that should have been corrected long ago but is now too far ingrained.

Kovtun's reported height differs depending on your source:

• 69" .. ..5'9" .. .. 1.75 m .. | .. according to the profile info displayed on a "Maxim Kovtun" Google search;
  • 69½" ..5'9½" ..1.76 m .. | .. according to his Wikipedia.org page;
  • 70" .. ..5'10" ... 1.78 m .. | .. according to his ISU bio page.

But, I agree he looks much taller; I would have guessed 6'0"+ feet!

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
deciphering protocols really isn't one of my strong suits. FUSp4? Really? A level 4 FU spin? Shouldn't that get like a decency deduction or something :roll9::biggrin:

Speaking of which, this flying upright spin needs to go; the initial position is awful. Could make the difference in GOEs on that element. I hate to say it, but the same is probably true of his cannonball sit. Fix the positions anyway. He's too good a skater to have such sloppy looking positions in his programs. I know he has some other positioning/stylistic issues, but check out Samohin's cannonball; that's how that element should look. :thumbsup:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Personally I don't agree with this at all, in my opinion quads are by far the most interesting elements in men's figure skating. I see no sense in following it at all if quads were removed.

I think you may have misunderstood what Silvia451 meant, perhaps?

LadyB

Record Breaker
Who cares? I have a major inappropriate-for-my-age crush on him! I'll dance with him anytime:luv17:

Hope you'll get the chance some day. I know what you mean, I feel the same about Fedor Klimov (don't know whether I could handle the throws...):eek::

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Talked with my boss about the LP & she's of the same opinion regarding Flo & undeserving Kovtun:agree: She was moved by him just as all of us & angry afterwards!:bow:

Good to have someone irl to talk FS with!

Last edited: