2016 Europeans Men Free Skate | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Men Free Skate

viennaskater

Medalist
Russia, please, stop promoting Kovtun as the next big thing...he is not that!

My thoughts exactly - that was a rubbish FP by Kovtun and it is a TRAVESTY that Amodio did not medal!

"Oh we simply HAVE to give the Russians a medal!"

NOT happy about that!

viennaskater

Medalist
No offense but why is everyone in the arena so excited about the routine? The composition was horrid and he didn't start performing until the end, when he was out of sync with the music... Is this his last competition?

You must have been asleep or something. I was there and Amodio's performance was AMAZING - just about everyone stood up and cheered. And I watched a recording of it last night and STILL loved it.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
My thoughts exactly - that was a rubbish FP by Kovtun and it is a TRAVESTY that Amodio did not medal!

"Oh we simply HAVE to give the Russians a medal!"

NOT happy about that!

You have to consider the SP, too. Amodio tripled his quad and messed up his 3-3. Kovtun fell on his 3A, but still got 2 quads in there, one in combination with a 3T. Kovtun's BV was almost 10 points higher in the SP. That saved his bronze, given Amodio outscored him by about 8 points technically in the FS (I agree with their PCS scores being about the same... Amodio was the better interpretation/performance, but Kovtun's overall skating and program is superior IMO... and the judges did score that accordingly).

The judges were also very generous to Amodio's obviously 2-footed quad (with mostly +2's) and he scored about 3 points higher on that than he should have. Too bad about the edge call on the flip, otherwise he'd have the bronze.