2016 Four Continents Pairs SP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Pairs SP

withwings

On the Ice
I feel like Mervissa have been scored a bit low in most SPs this season due to always going first or second,
Their Program and Skating skills are better than K\O and equal to I\M IMO and they should be leading

I completely agree. Marissa and Mervin certainly have that IT factor, which eventually makes a team to stand out... I am not a fan of their programs/choreography, especially SP. That music....brrr.... Hopefully they will come with better programs next season. They have to find their style.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just watched Sui and Han - I mean they were heads above the rest today and this was probably a skate of the season (so far) for them and one of their best in career.

This is a complex program backed by solid, fearless execution - there were no hesitation moments there, just amazing flow and expression. The chemistry was sizzling - she was a Diva flamenco, he was just equally great. My favourite moment - just before tano twist when they accented music by stomping/kicking their legs (I really don't know how to expain it more clearly...), it gave me chills.

It is truly amazing to watch them grown so much into mature performers, my only wish for them is to stay healthy and allow us watch them develop further

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
just watched Sui and Han - I mean they were heads above the rest today and this was probably a skate of the season (so far) for them and one of tier best in career.

This is a complex program backed by solid, fearless execution - there were no hesitation moments there, just amazing flow and expression. The chemistry was sizzling - she was a Diva flamenco, he was just equally great. My favourite moment - just before tano twist when they accented music by stomping/kicking their legs (I really don'thow to expain it more clearly...), it gave me chills.

It is truly amazing to watch them grown so much into mature performers, my only wish for them is to stay healthy and allow us watch them develop further

S/H are my faaaaaves. I just watched their performance, and it was super sharp and well-done today. If they're clean at Worlds, I wonder if judges will put them in the range to beat S/K and V/T. S/H's skating skills are not as impressive, but I think they're fairly close to the Russians otherwise. Very high quality elements, programs, and commitment to the performance.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sui/Han are true talents of pair skating. Earlier in their career I was afraid Sui will never get her jumps reliable and he would handle her when she grows. But they overcome so much.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Today something was really bad about D/R's performance. It was obvious that she didn't feel ok. :sad21:
Thinking about the worlds, they have a lot of work to do and probably not enough time.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I never liked this team until today - I found them sloppy and somewhat unmatched; kinda circus tricks with no finesse. But I love, loved this program today. Beautiful integration of technical difficulty with the music. She's obviously worked very hard to get into shape, and has improved immensely in her jumps, edging, positions. Wow - a deserved SB. Worlds will be very exciting.

bobbob

Medalist
I am so happy that Sui and Han FINALLY have earned the recognition they deserve for their brilliantly execution and passionate program. I think the judges have finally realized that pairs skating is about, above all skating skills, chemistry, grace, and execution, traits that Sui and Han have in spades. Best short program of the season for me, and I hope they carry the momentum into the free and into worlds. They have come so far and with their injuries and all, I'll be rooting for them!

I have nothing against Duhamel and Radford, I actually think they are great athletes who work extremely hard. However, they simply do not have the grace or skating skill to compete with the world's best. They are a team that try to run before they can walk in my opinion, and they should focus on refining their skating skills and execution of basic elements before moving on with harder ones. As a pair, they are no more than the sum of their parts and they need to focus more on pair skating. They have been overscored for reasons unknown to me and much of the skating community for years now, and finally the judges are getting it right. I still think their PCS should still be around 2 points lower, but Meagan summed it up the best: "That's a bad score." For them, that is, after being overscored for years and years. But kudos to her for fighting through her illness.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I am so happy that Sui and Han FINALLY have earned the recognition they deserve for their brilliantly execution and passionate program. I think the judges have finally realized that pairs skating is about, above all skating skills, chemistry, grace, and execution, traits that Sui and Han have in spades. Best short program of the season for me, and I hope they carry the momentum into the free and into worlds. They have come so far and with their injuries and all, I'll be rooting for them!

I have nothing against Duhamel and Radford, I actually think they are great athletes who work extremely hard. However, they simply do not have the grace or skating skill to compete with the world's best. They are a team that try to run before they can walk in my opinion, and they should focus on refining their skating skills and execution of basic elements before moving on with harder ones. As a pair, they are no more than the sum of their parts and they need to focus more on pair skating. They have been overscored for reasons unknown to me and much of the skating community for years now, and finally the judges are getting it right. I still think their PCS should still be around 2 points lower, but Meagan summed it up the best: "That's a bad score." For them, that is, after being overscored for years and years. But kudos to her for fighting through her illness.

Nothing against D/H? Really? Come on - D/R have absolutely been scored fairly; you make it sound like some kind of conspiracy, LOL! they were by far the best technically last season and the other teams had to do catch up. Moreover, D/R have worked incredibly hard on their artistry and the improvement is noticeable at every competition, this one being no exception. Not only are they incredible athletes with lovely programs but they ave have great connection with one another and such a gutsy attitude.

bobbob

Medalist
Nothing against D/H? Really? Come on - D/R have absolutely been scored fairly; you make it sound like some kind of conspiracy, LOL! they were by far the best technically last season and the other teams had to do catch up. Moreover, D/R have worked incredibly hard on their artistry and the improvement is noticeable at every competition, this one being no exception. Not only are they incredible athletes with lovely programs but they ave have great connection with one another and such a gutsy attitude.

I am trying to say that I have nothing personal against D/H, it's simply that their overall skating is not on the same level of S/H or the Russian pairs. I didn't mean to imply there was any sort of conspiracy, I just think the judges do evolve on their judging standards and in this case, they are beginning to realize that maybe it's important to have the skating skills, grace, and elegance that are important to pairs skating. You are right, D/R are very athletic, strong technically, and have made improvements, but they still have a long ways to go in terms of skating skills, execution, and (yes) technically. (e.g. lift and throw positions in particular) And I still can't comprehend how they won Worlds last year with a very boring and unartistic program when Pang and Tong skated a program that brought me to tears, but I won't get into that. And yes I love Meagan's strong never-give up attitude and personality, but thats not related to her skating skills.

Plisskin

Medalist
Sad to see Mervin and Marissa get lowballed again. I really think they should be ahead of the Canadians. Oh well...
I really loved Sui and Han though. They are in a class of their own.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
masterful performance from Sui Han...As for D/R, they need to work on their throws! They look horrible and unsettling! I am not relaxed watching their tricks! Maybe Radford should be the one thrown? Lol...his skating is stunning...

bobbob

Medalist
masterful performance from Sui Han...As for D/R, they need to work on their throws! They look horrible and unsettling! I am not relaxed watching their tricks! Maybe Radford should be the one thrown? Lol...his skating is stunning...

Agreed. Radford has great skating skills individually but Meagan's skating skills need work. I noticed in the k and cry they often have a dynamic where she almost seems to apologize for her mistakes and the scores they get. Rather odd, I know she puts a lot of pressure on herself.

icekiwi

On the Ice
OMG why this lame version of Your song?

Exactly!! This music is so 'meh'.

D/R 's component scores should have been a couple of extra points lower than Sui/Han. Honestly, D/R's SP has no choreography to the music, the whole choreo is set up for them to do their difficult elements which usually takes a 'lot' of set up time and the 'whole' ice. Their skating is almost like there was 'no' music playing and they are just going through the motion, there is absolutely zero connection to music.

With Sui/Han, there was 'Paso Doble' dance choreographed in there, their elements seemlessly fit into the music. Sui/Han's costumes also nicely fitted to the music (love Sui's fuchsia dress!). Also a lot of little nuances choreographed in - Sui swinging her head, a few flick kicking of the feet to the music, so enjoyable!!

Bravo Sui/Han and all the best for the LP!!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
:scard8:

I know, but when I saw 78 I wanted to watch to enjoy a spectacular routine. Do you think this short program deserved 78 mark?
It's my favourite SP this season. And the quality of all elements was beyond doubt. So yes, I believe it deserved above 78 points.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
:scard8:

I know, but when I saw 78 I wanted to watch to enjoy a spectacular routine. Do you think this short program deserved 78 mark?

that program deserves every point it got and more! :yes: