2016 Bavarian Open Feb. 17-21 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Bavarian Open Feb. 17-21

Alex D

Record Breaker
Advanced Novice Boys

Well, I have to admit that I only saw the final group, as food was required to keep that machine here running ... but oh boy, that Russian guy is amazing and not only the girls were cheering for him. ;)

With huge expression and amazing jumps, he put a mountain between him and the rest of the field. Just like Sofia, a constant acting machine, there was always something happening with this guy, the facial expression was ace, great hands and super speed. I loved his step sequence, so much attack in his steps, determination in his face, he was on a mission today for sure and said mission was accomplished.

Seven triple jumps, including the triple Axel which was huge, for such a tiny skater.

As I was told, he does practice six hours a day, doesn't go to school anymore, except for a private teacher and is taking ballet lessons, clearly visible during his spins and turns, great flexibility there!

The Russian got more points in his Free, than most of the other skaters in Free and Short.

Pl.NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
SSTRPEINDeduction
-
StN.
1Evgenii SEMENENKO
RUS106.5359.82 46.716.506.256.656.550.00#14
2Daniel SAPOZHNIKOV
GER72.4938.20 34.294.954.554.704.850.00#12
3Niclas Joshua RUST
GER65.8535.34 30.514.554.054.204.150.00#10

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Junior Ladies I FS

StN.
Name
Nation
Current Rank
Lina-Charlot KLENNER
GER
Sophie HANKE
GER
Laura MORATH
GER
Chantal Lisa PFISTER
GER
Polina SALANEKA
BLR
Sophie Estelle MUTH
GER
Greta LUPATELLI
ITA
Lena KREITMEIER
GER
Anastsiya ZAITSAVA
BLR
Katarina KITAROVIC
CRO
Sara CONTI
ITA
Valentina INDELICATO
ITA
Julie FROETSCHER
FRA
Kyarha VAN TIEL
NED
Camille CHERVET
SUI
Kalina LEWICKA
GER
Paula MIKOLAJCZYK
GER
Emma IGNATIUS
FIN
Yuna AOKI
JPN
Alizee CROZET
FRA
Alisa LOZKO
RUS
Anastasiia GOZHVA
UKR
Mariia PEREDOROVA
RUS
Pauline WANNER
FRA

Alex D

Record Breaker
I sadly missed the whole second group of the Ladies I, as we had a VC, but I absolutely loved the first girl that I saw Greta Lupatelli, that was a touching skate! A very emotional program, I loved every second of it.

Group three is now starting, again I would say watch out for Kalina and Paula... but ;) I tell ya later how they did.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Tyler

There is one word to describe Tyler Pierce

Attack! :shocked:

those jumps! Love that American already, more in about an hour, sorry VC soon and our final skater Danielle!

NaVi

Medalist
What was Tyler's score? For some reason the website only updated with the 1st groups scores.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Day three recap (focus on Juniors)

If you want to know what happened at the advanced, please look above. As a short summary, it was a Russian swipe, with Varvara, Sofia and Evgenii winning gold and many hearts on the way.

If you see how proud Evgenii was on the podium, it meant the world for him and our girls, oh yes - they were twice on the podium now at our events in Germany and they still impress me every time they skate, not only because of their dominance, no - there is a lot more to discover with Russian athletes, it´s an amazing artistry, with beautiful choreographies and the jumps, like Evgenii´s triple Axel!
If you want to know more about these athletes, please check above, as I will now focus on our Junior Ladies and it was an absolute thrill to meet them off ice and see them skate.

Let´s start with the Junior Ladies I

Well, what a Drama on the ice, nasty falls and strong hearts, pretty dresses and outstanding choreographies, I was greatly entertained and i was very happy that we got a bit of everything. Our Party girl Paula, coming 7th, made everyone move again, with an even better program than at NRW, fighting for every element, such a lion this girl is, never giving up and always cracking a smile while fighting with these nasty landings.

Then we had Pauline Wanner, who came 5th in total. Oh boy, what a fabolous skater she is, the varius phrases of the music, perfectly aligned with her elements, like the huge layback at the end.
I remember this girl from NRW a few years back and I instantly loved her style, she just does it every time, a beautiful stepsequence, the whole audience was completely silenced, you could hear a needle drop, she grabbed everyone there, the mix of loud and quiet, perfectly used in her choreographie and choice of elements.
There is definately something about this girl, she is just super sympathetic and is giving it all, every time, while using the whole ice to show her elements, like the five triples ( Flip, Loop, Toe and two triple Sal´s one in combination with a double toe).
I love how confident she is and in general, the french ladies were really rocking today. It is such a joy to see, how they sell their programs, they are very proud to be on the ice and they have a strong heart like Alizee Crozet who came 6th and she absolutely got me on both days, with her music choice.
In the Free, she was performing to "the immortal instrument" and I do not remember a skater, using it before, it´s just not something that you hear all day, which is always good - to bring something new to the table. The look in her face, so painful - great in character skating and nice attack on her elements, especially after the issues at the start with Flip and Lutz.
Third lady from France, is Julie Froetscher, I did love her short, sadly the Free had several mistakes, but twice, a very solid double Axel.
Anastasiia Gozhva
had a huge error in her program as well, the Ukrainien fell very awkwardly on the second loop, which was supposed to be a combination, but guess what? She just attacked her next elements like it was nothing, nailing triple Sal double toe and triple toe - double toe on the ice. She is such a fighter, who can sell programs amazingly well and that layback, is a beast!

Not exactly a "beast" but a beauty, is our winner Alisa, who is once again coming from Russia, skating in her own league. amazing hands and full attack at all times and she has a great flexibility in her hips too, naughty and sexy, to please the crowds and very friendly off ice too!
She isnt just a jumper or a spinner, nah she is a great actor too! The way how she can go all out at the last thirty seconds of her program is something that I want to see from more skaters these days, as quite often the legs are a bit tired in the last minute, but not with this young lady here, a huge stepsequence and a gorgeous layback to finish a program, in which she attempted six triples, only losing the Flip, while nailing triple - double Loop combo and triple Flip - Loop - triple Sal.

That I had to learn some Japanese before the VC was because of Yuna Aoki, the smiling sunrise from Japan. I so loved her positive and kind attitude, also off ice while in the "ballet room" where we hold our victory ceremonies.
Yuna had quite a few ups and downs, performing to Piano Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninov. Her first Lutz and the second Sal, didnt work, however, she was still able to land a very solid triple Lutz - double toe combination and she never gave a jump away, no matter how messed up her position in the air, was. She is a very modest person and glides softly over the ice, very charming young lady she is.

Charming is of course also Kalina who came 8th and again, that entry into her stepsequence, absolutely nailed and the choreography is really awesome, whoever made it, chapou! That said, she was super at the start, confident, clean landings, but she lost a bit of her punsh towards the end, when the former triples, now became doubles or singles.
Still, this girl, our Gracie Gold of Germany, has great potential and if I heard it right, then she said that this was her best performance of that program, so ya, this is something to build on and honestly, I would love to see her do this program again next season, as its one of the best free skates I saw this year, it just needs to be polished a bit more, but the potential is huge!

I also have some good news about the Fins, Emma did a phenomenal layback - Bielman, that speed, she did not lose any at all! She is such a lion on the ice, the way she attacks her jumps is crazy, at times you think she wants to jump into the stands!

Full results,

http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2016/CAT006RS.HTM

Now let´s have a quick look at our Junior Ladies II FS, where I want to start with a Fin, who goes by the name of Jade Rautiainen. Honestly, from the first moment on, that I saw her, I was having a little crush, you know the stuff that happens when you see someone and just feel that this person has something pretty charming, either about the way they talk, dress, or in our case, skate!

When she gets on the ice, a smile joins her and that smile, does not go away, before she leaves the ice and then, if you meet her off ice, like for our quick photo session, you see that smile again. You all know that I have a thing for the Fins, especially the ladies and it always makes me incredible happy if I see them at the entry list´s. She has a very beautiful way to skate and a super cute look as well.

Her performance today, was pretty solid, I did not see any major issues, except the Lutz, where she got an edge call. It almost seemed, like she wanted to show someone, what she is cappable off - let´s just assume "me" for a second *laughs*. But seriously, it´s not all about the medals for an athlete, you know what you do in training all day, so you want to do the same in competition and this is what the Fins usually struggle with, which is very sad, as I know they can do it and I still believe in these girls!

A strong believe, our winner must have, Tyler Pierce! That girl is like dynamite, she has absolutely no fear going into her jumps, resulting in a huge height, I have honestly seldom seen a skater jumping that high on pretty much all of her jumps!

That triple Lutz at the start, wow... my jaw dropped down, I was speechless how this is even possible, as so many skaters, medalist´s for that matter, only do these tiny hops all the time and then came Tyler with that rocket! I said it before, her program is all about attacking the elements, also the stepsequence, she puts so much into her elements, I honestly have no other US girl on my radar, with that attitude right now - seriously, where have you guys been hiding this talent, and don´t tell me now, that you were at a football match while she did skate nationals, cmon! Or was it just me, being sloppy and not reading your reports?

Honestly, this is just ace - her speed, hight, attitude, glamour it´s all there, but at times I believe that US just like Canadian girls, perform maybe just better in Germany (Europe), than NA?!

I also want to quickly mention our two German girls, Alissa and Jennifer. Alissa had an amazing short at Dortmund, but bombed in the free and i am so happy that this didnt happen again, she is really lovely on ice and so deserved to be on the podium, coming third - and when she did that single Sal, I was like - noo, not again and gladly, it did not happen again, as she continued with the double Axel - double toe, bringing that medal home. For me, she is very elegant and mature, I love her arms and the speed, soft gliding - effortless skating. As for Jennifer, I think she has immense power in her legs, nailing those three triples and she put´s a lot into her performances, a skater that is absolutely worth the money and very lovely in her spins.

Talking about lovely, there is one more I want to tell you about, our Brit who came second, Danielle Harrison. Her smile got bigger with every element she did, huge facial expression and that stepsequence was a beast, so was her triple toe - double toe - double loop combination.

Full results,

http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2016/CAT007RS.HTM

You know, I am so happy that I can see those skaters live at the rink, it is something that I am hugely greateful for, as you always find new skaters amongst your favorites and my list is growing with every competition and I honestly already wonder, how I am supposed to be able, to mention all these beautiful skaters in my column, without leaving someone behind. The 25 pages at NRW, were huge - but who really is supposed to read all of that... Oh well, I just have a damn awesome job, dont I?

Thanks to all the skaters, sorry to those I could not fit in yet, figure skating is just a cool sport!

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I saw the advanced, report will come in about 30 minutes.

Just wanted to drop in and let you know about the Ukrainian pair Renata and Mark, that was just absolutely fantastic! Best SP I saw this season in pairs. ;)

Double Axel side by side, super height on their tW, great speed, wonderful triple Sal (couldn't see the edge tho)and I loved their racing outfit too! They are leading with 60.70.

Edit:

Confirmation, they got credit for all their elements! Took several minutes for the judges, but all was fine, so congratulations to that huge program to "the race". Tomorrow they will do the Interview with a Vampire program, I am thrilled!

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Advanced Novice Ice Dance Pattern Dance

Advanced Novice Ice Dance

Good morning everyone, today we are starting with the Ice Dancers, the advanced novice to be precise. We are looking for a strong and close hold, one, however, that doesn't break the ladies back if you know what I mean ;). Also important is the relation to each other on the ice, skate together, be balanced as a couple, with deep, long edges and make use of the whole ice and stay in time with the music.

All this and a bit more needs to be featured in two pattern dances, the Rocker Foxtrot and Starlight Waltz. interesting to see was how different the skaters approaches this. While in theory, every dance will look the same, it didn´t.

The American couples did it with a lot of joy and huge smiles, they have a wonderful balance on the ice, both skaters are equally present and I was very impressed with the boys and their attitude, no stiff skating at all. Emma and Caleb currently on three with 27.44, just gave you the feeling that all of this is like a walk in the park for them, effortless skating and he was so proud to skate with such a beautiful lady!

The Greens
currently on two with 32.22 had lovely ice coverage, using every inch of the ice, while skating with good speed and wonderful facial expression. I noticed a little issue at the first change of hold in their Waltz, their hands just missed each other, but it didnt reflect in the scores me thinks, maybe I just saw ghosts again...
However, said change is a required element for all pairs and you need to do it blind, with the men holding his arm behind his back and the lady has to lay her hand in his, without looking and some ladies gave you a super smile while doing this, again make it look effortless - its easy, no problem, just wonderful to watch!
The very strong pairs, could do it in high speed like the Russian leaders Maria and Egor (34.71), who offered incredble deep edges and speed, while Lou Terreaux and Noe Perron did it with a huge smile and a bit slower.
I also want to say how I love the way of skating by the Italians, the men is always presenting the lady with a proud facial expression and Katherine Grosul and Cameron Colucci are real crowd pleasers, the smallest today but with huge confidence.

Looking forward to the Free Dance tomorrow morning around 7.30 AM CET

Full results,

http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2016/CAT014RS.HTM

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Junior Pairs SP

Junior Pairs

Well, I am so excited to tell you about the Ukrainien pair Renata Oganesian and Mark Bardei, what a shocker that was, but a positive one. Seriously, I still have goosebumps now!

They opened up with a huge triple Twist, that height! Afterwards they brought in their double Axel, super clean, ging into a brilliant hand to hand lift, smooth as butter and afterwards a greatly landed triple Sal, she really put that element on the ice, such a strong young lady!

Their program "the race", was exactly this throughout the whole skate. Huge speed, super quick turns, very good skating skills in general, while skating into all directions and I loved their race driver outfits, it was just to 100% perfectly choreographed and tomorrow we will have an interview with a vampire and I bet this will be no less awesome, I am super excited about that, their interpretation skills are huge, great arms and perfectly in character skating, like directly from the race track.

But they were not the only pair with great interpretation and a fantastic no touch sequence , as also Anastasia Mishina and Vladislav Mirzoev currently on two with their Bolero (57.82), had something to offer - great interpretation of their music and they have great selling qualities, a very positive couple, also with a triple Sal th and double Axel side by side. A pretty outgoing personality for Russians, they really wanted to make us move our feet, it was a very original choreography too and not so dated like some Bolero performances can be.
I also want to mention our Korean couple, Kyueun and Alexander - I love how they releate to each other on the ice, they scored 41.06 and sit on 4.

Third with huge applause by my Italian colleague and a very charming program are Bianca and Nicolo.

http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2016/CAT008RS.HTM

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
Mishina/Mirzoev are the junior pair that receive the most love from internal Russian judges... and they're good but I've always thought that international judges would disagree at least for the SP.

Alex D

Record Breaker
junior Men SP

We are about to start with G3 in a few minutes,

StN.NameNation
1Radek JAKUBKA
CZE
2Anton KARPUK
BLR
3Irakli MAYSURADZE
GEO
4Alberto VANZ
ITA
5Robert KUNKEL
GER
6Maxence COLLET
FRA
7Nik FOLINI
ITA
8Remi BELMONTE
FRA
9Egor MURASHOV
RUS
10Dave KÖTTING
GER
11Xavier VAUCLIN
FRA
12Marco BOZZUTO
ITA
14Thomas JUNSKI
GER
15Jonathan HEß
GER
17Michel TSIBA
NED
18Kurt Maximilian GROHMANN
GER
19Joshua BROWN
GBR
20Catalin DIMITRESCU
GER
21Lukas BRITSCHGI
SUI

[TD="class: grid"][/TD]
[TD="class: grid"] Warm-Up Group 1[/TD]

[TD="class: grid"] Warm-Up Group 2[/TD]

[TD="class: grid"] Warm-Up Group 3[/TD]

[TD="class: grid"] Warm-Up Group 4[/TD]

Alex D

Record Breaker
Senior Ladies

Competition will start at 15.20 CET,

StN.NameNation
1Tanja ODERMATT
SUI
2Yuka NAGAI
JPN
3Emmi PELTONEN
FIN
4Liubov EFIMENKO
FIN
5Fleur MAXWELL
LUX
6Lea Johanna DASTICH
GER
7Nathalie WEINZIERL
GER
8Julia SAUTER
ROU
9Yasmine YAMADA
SUI
10Olivia TUUVA
FIN
11Lutricia BOCK
GER
12Katarina KULGEYKO
ISR
14Elizaveta UKOLOVA
CZE
15Michaela HANZLIKOVA
CZE
16Netta SCHREIBER
ISR
17Alina MAYER
GER
18Aimee BUCHANAN
ISR
19Karly ROBERTSON
GBR
20Mariia GAVRYLOVA
UKR

- - - Updated - - -

Competition will start at 15.20 CET,

StN.NameNation
1Tanja ODERMATT
SUI
2Yuka NAGAI
JPN
3Emmi PELTONEN
FIN
4Liubov EFIMENKO
FIN
5Fleur MAXWELL
LUX
6Lea Johanna DASTICH
GER
7Nathalie WEINZIERL
GER
8Julia SAUTER
ROU
9Yasmine YAMADA
SUI
10Olivia TUUVA
FIN
11Lutricia BOCK
GER
12Katarina KULGEYKO
ISR
14Elizaveta UKOLOVA
CZE
15Michaela HANZLIKOVA
CZE
16Netta SCHREIBER
ISR
17Alina MAYER
GER
18Aimee BUCHANAN
ISR
19Karly ROBERTSON
GBR
20Mariia GAVRYLOVA
UKR

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
typical Irakli, nails 3A and fails rest of his elements :drama: please stay focused during the entire program, not just for your 3A :sad21:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Mishina/Mirzoev are the junior pair that receive the most love from internal Russian judges... and they're good but I've always thought that international judges would disagree at least for the SP.

I think they got a good international type of skating, its something that you will like, it just makes click, you can build a connection to them and their program.

But in general I agree with what you say, as a Russian skater without a big reputation, it can be hard to score that well. Like Bobrova Soloviev, who in my opinion should go much higher, but maybe their skating is too Russian?

Alex D

Record Breaker
Quick notes

Yuka is leading after two groups with 65.42 - I did not see anything wrong with her program to be honest, I really liked the way she stayed in character, jumps were fine. Tanja scored a new PB me thinks, loved her fighting spirit, she just didn't want to let go.

Emmi was wonderful, but she is such a cool fellow and Olivia made me cry, more later.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Senior Ladies SP

Senior Ladies

Just a small review, writing this while the men skate.

We have a current leader, who came all the way down from Japan, Yuka Nagai. Her technical skills were excellent, so was her selling potential to Madame Butterfly in which she told us the sad story of "her" life, with a wonderful presence in her steps and confident jumps, The sad story of Cio Cio San, was portrait in all its extremes throughout the program. I really enjoyed the structure and balance of her program, in which she nailed a triple Lutz - triple toe with ease, like it was nothing.
All the pain was there, in her facial expression, the spins and turns always on full attack, with all her heart and the reward were 65.32.

Second came the German Lutricia Bock, who is hardly the same young girl from the JGP a while ago, when I saw her last. The national champion achieved 60.14 in a flawless program, also opening with triple Lutz - triple Toe,while gaining level 4s for all her spins. Lets hope she can keep her cool in the Free, no bombing tomorrow young Lady!

And now, take this!

We have a Fin on the podium, at least overnight and it´s Emmi Peltonen, who was skating to woman, cool as an iceberg. While she lost her Axel, she did absolutely destroy the ice with her first triple toe, the distance that she travelled there, meters I tell ya and then she adds another triple toe! Like all the Fins at Oberstdorf, they go all in they just want it so much, I love that attitude! Skating to woman she gave me the creeps, such a cold expression in her face, but it made her performance special and stood out of all others!
So maybe, maybe we will have our first Fin since Jenni at the Bavarian podium, as also Liubov did wonderful and is currently on 4th!

The complete opposite of Emmi was Aimee Buchanan, she rocked the ice with huge smiles, incredible flexibility and super speed. She was skating to " one moment in time" and it was like she wanted to send us all a message, to go for our goals and never give up, her smile absolutely goegous, so much fire - just amazing that girl.

Her first spin, when she pointed with her finger towards the sky, absolutely gorgeous. I remember her from Nebelhorn a while ago, already back then she got my attention and I remember how I was attacked for liking that girl by a hardcore fan of Lipnitskaya.

A hardcore fan, I might become of Michaela Hanzlikova, damn that girl was so on fire today! Her dress, a million dollars, glad nobody told her that the Oscars are that way ;)
What impressed most, was how easily she could adjust to the phrasing of the music, taking her foot off the gas when it got all quiet, nailing one of her landings right on the drop, while attacking her elements in the faster and louder sections and giving a little kiss to one of the judges. She did skate to Ice Symphony and combined power and sexiness in such a way, that you couldnt take your eyes off her.

That I can not take my eyes from the Fins is well known, I just love their programs, but Olivia made me really sad, her performance was so emotional for me, I don´t know why it got so into my heart, guess she did remember me of someone who no longer is...

Anyways, before we get sentimental, let´s talk about "my" Tanja!

She has done really well today, all her elements were landed, she really didnt want to lose a single jump, really nice fighting spirit and one of the reasons why i adopted her. Another is that cute look on her face and these great spins, of which one gained a level 4 today.
The Swizz champion is currently on 8th and tomorrow with her wonderful Muse performance and a solid skate, more is possible and I wish her all the best for that.

http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2016/SEG003.HTM

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
There were some really cool performances at the men, mostly because of these awesome characteristics that some of them have. Great and very sympathetic and they showed some real emotions or funny moments, nice!

Ivan is leading with 84.47 infront of Franz with 75.08 and Ryuju Hino 72.18. My favorites were Romain Ponsart and Tomy Pulkkinen, so fun to watch and very emotional. More a bit later, pairs soon, here is the starting order

StN.NameNation
1Aljona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT
GER
2Lana PETRANOVIC / Michael LUECK
CRO
3Ioulia CHTCHTETININA / Noah SCHERER
SUI
4Camille MENDOZA / Pavel KOVALEV
FRA
5Lola ESBRAT / Andrei NOVOSELOV
FRA
6Alexandra HERBRIKOVA / Nicolas ROULET
SUI
7Minerva-Fabienne HASE / Nolan SEEGERT
GER
8Erika SMITH / AJ REISS
USA

Alex D

Record Breaker
So,

the pairs are also through and the beauty about pair skating is always, that you just have to love them all! The combination of man and woman is just brilliant, call me sentimental, but I like that stuff. I was also happy to see that Minerva and Nolan improved again, I saw Aljona and Bruno, it was the first time for me and they look really good together, Erika and Aj did not skate sadly and Lola and Andrei had a transition how you want them in pairs skating, really wonderful.

More soon!