6.4M earthquake hits Taiwan | Golden Skate

6.4M earthquake hits Taiwan

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35508475
Thoughts and prayers are with the people affected. :(

-Will this make any change in 4CC?

Edit: the worst hit city is in the south of the island so I guess the effects in the north are minimal?

Yes, the effect from the earthquake to Taipei city is minimal. I've lived in Taipei for over 30 yrs, and the earthquake from last night just felt like any other earthquake that normally takes place during the year. It's not even comparable to the earthquake in 1999. My family members didn't even feel the quake and they didn't know there was one. But we're in shock when we saw the morning news that the quake has affected much in the south. The centre of the quake is in Kaohsiung county, and I have friends who live in Kaohsiung said the shaking was quite scary and worse than 1999 (921) earthquake. But so far the most casualties involved were from their neighbouring city, Tainan, where there were multiple buildings collapses. I also pray that the ppl in those collapsed buildings could be rescued soon. Another thing is that we've just started with the week-long Chinese New Year vacation here. So the quake is causing problems for ppl traveling around the island to get home for family reunions. And it's going to be a difficult CNY time for the families affected by the quake.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thankyou for the info, cohkaix. I hope your friends and their families are okay and safe and that all the people will be rescued soon.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you. May you and your friends and family stay safe, and may you have a good New Year holiday

randomfan

Record Breaker
We had an earthquake recently as well. It wasn't a big one as it was 4.9 and lasted only 6 seconds. But it's not common for our area to have earthquakes so many of us were terrified. Earthquakes are scary, whether they are big or small. I hope that everyone in the area is safe! I'll be praying.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info. Prayers and good thoughts to all the people hurt by this earthquake.