Sofia Samodurova | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sofia Samodurova

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
After finishing outside of the top 10 at Russian Nats, and the 6th place finish at JGPF, does anyone have any ideas on where the Russian Fed goes from here with Sonya? With all of the momentum she had after her success in her in JGP assignments, it seemed like the Fed was finally going to have to take notice of her, but what happens now seems a little bit fuzzy. Should she move up to seniors? Should she stay a junior for another year (which seems unlikely as she'll be 16 this coming year)? Though I personally think she's a great skater and a captivating performer, compared to the rest of the Russian junior field, her style doesn't seem like the majority's cup of tea, and I think she'll have a tough go of it no matter where she ends up next season. Bottom line, I think it'll be interesting to see how 2018-19 goes for her.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Is there any chance for her to skate for another country?

Chance is above zero but I don't no any single lady skater who changed Russia for other country and then performed strong skate with top results. Strong ones prefer to keep fighting.

charlotte14

Medalist
Chance is above zero but I don't no any single lady skater who changed Russia for other country and then performed strong skate with top results. Strong ones prefer to keep fighting.
Her chance of getting to JWC or WC is very slim... and if she wants to go to the Olympics... better skate for another country.

icetug

Medalist
After finishing outside of the top 10 at Russian Nats, and the 6th place finish at JGPF, does anyone have any ideas on where the Russian Fed goes from here with Sonya? With all of the momentum she had after her success in her in JGP assignments, it seemed like the Fed was finally going to have to take notice of her, but what happens now seems a little bit fuzzy. Should she move up to seniors? Should she stay a junior for another year (which seems unlikely as she'll be 16 this coming year)? Though I personally think she's a great skater and a captivating performer, compared to the rest of the Russian junior field, her style doesn't seem like the majority's cup of tea, and I think she'll have a tough go of it no matter where she ends up next season. Bottom line, I think it'll be interesting to see how 2018-19 goes for her.
Last year she was 11th (in Feb) and 7th (in Apr) in National Junior Championships and this allowed her to take part in JGP. The 6th place at JGPF is better than not qualify to the final at all - what happened to some other Russian girls. So, we must wait till junior championships and hope she gets at least a JGP spot (but I believe JWC is still available for her). Maria Sotskova's example proves that Eteri girls don't take all the spots :)

charlotte14

Medalist
Last year she was 11th (in Feb) and 7th (in Apr) in National Junior Championships and this allowed her to take part in JGP. The 6th place at JGPF is better than not qualify to the final at all - what happened to some other Russian girls. So, we must wait till junior championships and hope she gets at least a JGP spot (but I believe JWC is still available for her). Maria Sotskova's example proves that Eteri girls don't take all the spots :)
Sotskova got that spot because CSKA is crazily powerful inside Russian fed...

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Sotskova got that spot because CSKA is crazily powerful inside Russian fed...

You are amazing master of pure speculations, I'm very delighted. Someone even can think that to be CSKA athlete is enough to win. But why Radionova (being in CSKA since 2003) didn't get the spot? :scratch2:

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've heard the speculation about CSKA before, and I don't know enough about the politics of Russian figure skating to say how much truth there is to that, but (and this is a little off topic) I'd think that having Mishin as her coach isn't exactly hurting Sonya either. After Konstantinova and Gubanova performed as well as they did at senior nationals, I am a little bit worried for Sonya if those two and Eteri's girls all go clean. If she gets a JGP spot, I think she has just as much a chance of doing well there next year as she did this year, but it seems like if she makes it to the final she'll probably get outskated again. Sigh.

Maybe the Fed will pull a Mikhailova again and randomly send her to Rostelecom :laugh:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Hey Sonya fans! any updates on how her preparation for next season is going? how her arm is? if she's going senior or not?

Azikin

Medalist
I hope we will see her competing again, one way for the other. I also wonder about those rumours of her changing the country...

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Based on the most recent photos on her Instagram, it looks like her arm is healed, or that she's at least out of a cast if she was in one to begin with. I haven't seen anything skating related from her yet.

I really hope those rumors about the country switch are true. Israel is in need of a strong ladies skater, and representing them would likely give Sonya the opportunity to compete at Euros, Worlds, and the Olympics. It's a win-win.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I totally agree! It would be a great way to improve Israeli skating and for her to be able to have more experience :) Glad to see she's healed mostly :love:

samurai

Rinkside
Based on the most recent photos on her Instagram, it looks like her arm is healed, or that she's at least out of a cast if she was in one to begin with. I haven't seen anything skating related from her yet.

I really hope those rumors about the country switch are true. Israel is in need of a strong ladies skater, and representing them would likely give Sonya the opportunity to compete at Euros, Worlds, and the Olympics. It's a win-win.

Yessss! She could and very well may pull a Caro K if she switches country.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Thats why I don't like the system which is sometimes forcing athletes (skaters) to switch country and represent state that has no credit for their training and development. I wish it would be possible to gain more entries for one country instead (depending on the results of course).

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Sonya has a new and updated OP! Can't wait to see if she goes senior next season and what her programs will be :)