On Site Reports:@ 4CC 2016 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports:@ 4CC 2016

OniBan

Final Flight
Thankyou for the report, OniBan!

Did you like Andrew? :)

What I remember most of him is his costume (the tassels/ ribbons) on the side and around his collar ha! I also recall his performance quality is nice and graceful but not quite having the 'it' factor yet.
(My brother said he reminds him of Billy Elliot XD)

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you! My exact writings in my notebook says: His (Grant Hochstein) movements are precise, clean and absolutely lovely to watch :love:

I feel the same about Grant, so polished, but still sincere.

How about Han? I don't think you mentioned him?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Squirtle?? Lolol what a cute nickname. Like the pokemon?
I am sitting at the rink now for the ladies LP. Unfortunately I came too late to have my tickets changed to a better seat (they say come an hour before event to have it changed but when I came an hour and half earlier no other tickets were available except those in yellow section level 3, the ones I originally had anyways), so I am at a different vantage point today. How I wish I have spiderman powers so I can climb down to the 2nd level.
The seats never look full, why won't they allow people to move closer?

StoneEye

Spectator
I heard fans of Yuzuru brought tickets earlier, but they don't come because Yuzuru isn't competing.

dasani

On the Ice
I've also read that a lot of the free tickets booked online are for seats on the 3rd floor/level, which we can't really see from the tv coverage as it is beyond the camera angle.

Seats on the 2nd floor (the level we can see on the tv/streaming) are either tickets available to claim for free in person on the day, or tickets that were reserved for sponsors but ended up not utilized.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
For the people who are lucky enough to watch in person....

I'd like to know how fast is So Youn across the ice, or something lacking in her performances, because I don't get why she always get dinged hard on PCS.

Also, while everyone knows Satoko's jumps don't get much vertical distance... I'd like to know what the horizontal distance of her jumps is like.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's EXACTLY what I've been asking! ! I need answers for this arghghh

This is a very good question and it comes up quite often at Concerts and Broadway Shows. All prepaid tickets are guaranteed to the payee and can not be filled even if the person never shows up. I've seen people sneak down to empty seats only to be removed by an usher. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with sporting events. However, if I were an event sponsor, I would most definitely want the "Home" or seats behind the judges filled.

Here's where the problem happens. The best camera shots will come from Ice Level and those behind the judges. This also happens to be where "Most" of the audience is seated so you don't get to see them on TV.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
For the people who are lucky enough to watch in person....

I'd like to know how fast is So Youn across the ice, or something lacking in her performances, because I don't get why she always get dinged hard on PCS.

Also, while everyone knows Satoko's jumps don't get much vertical distance... I'd like to know what the horizontal distance of her jumps is like.

I was @ both ladies SP and FS, (and have personally watched So Youn and Satoko in competitions live more than once):

So Youn -- to put her in G4 last night, she was 'relatively' slower comparing to other skaters in that group, perhaps more or less the same as Zijun ? I was very impressed by her SP skating, the dress, the movement, the jumps and everything project perfectly. But for the FS, her projection is not as effective. And I'm not sure if it has to do with that she just switched back to her old program?

Satoko -- I'd say the distance of her jumps is in average proportion to her height. For me, Satoko's FS stood out last night, because she was very precise with each element, she skates with great flexibility and the program went all the way through, without hesitation or slowing down. But if there's anything to be picked for this Un Sospiro program, personally I think the program has no 'highlight' as the music goes through. It's not just a memorable program from Satoko (other than that she could do a nearly perfect execution of everything) and I always prefer Dickson's choreography for Satoko.

andyjo24

Medalist
I was @ both ladies SP and FS, (and have personally watched So Youn and Satoko in competitions live more than once):

So Youn -- to put her in G4 last night, she was 'relatively' slower comparing to other skaters in that group, perhaps more or less the same as Zijun ? I was very impressed by her SP skating, the dress, the movement, the jumps and everything project perfectly. But for the FS, her projection is not as effective. And I'm not sure if it has to do with that she just switched back to her old program?

Satoko -- I'd say the distance of her jumps is in average proportion to her height. For me, Satoko's FS stood out last night, because she was very precise with each element, she skates with great flexibility and the program went all the way through, without hesitation or slowing down. But if there's anything to be picked for this Un Sospiro program, personally I think the program has no 'highlight' as the music goes through. It's not just a memorable program from Satoko (other than that she could do a nearly perfect execution of everything) and I always prefer Dickson's choreography for Satoko.

I've also seen So Youn live once before, and her speed is not the fastest but it's also not slow. She has decent speed (it doesn't take away from her performance but could be improved upon).

So Youn usually doesn't project as much in the FS because it's supposed to be serious and introverted (R&J), but the SP was a fun program. It's amazing to see the contrast.

OniBan

Final Flight
Just a quick one - met the Shibutanis exiting the arena!! Managed to take photo with Maia since Alex was busy with autographs. Also sighted were Weaver and Poje as I was lining up to get tickets changed.

Better seats today.. phew

OniBan

Final Flight
I feel the same about Grant, so polished, but still sincere.

How about Han? I don't think you mentioned him?

Han Yan was the first out the gate in the last group and skated clean if I remember right so it was exhilarating to see. I like his performance - he could stand to give a bit more face to match the feel of the music but maybe that's just his style XD I also feel like his performance comes across better live than thru screen - I actually like this program now a lot better than I did before when I watched it thru youtube.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Sorry this is kind of off-topic, but for all the people who were lucky enough to attend the event: does all the signage say "Chinese Taipei" instead of "Taipei, Taiwan" because the ISU is going to get in trouble with China for recognizing Taiwan as an actual country? I was just wondering what Chinese fans thought of that, when they were attending the event. It seems ridiculous to me, and sad that at all sporting events, Taiwan can't be recognized properly and must be referred to as "Chinese Taipei." :disapp:

Also, was wondering how many fans in the arena were actually Taiwan locals vs. international crowds. I wouldn't think figure skating would be that popular in Taiwan, but who knows?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Sorry this is kind of off-topic, but for all the people who were lucky enough to attend the event: does all the signage say "Chinese Taipei" instead of "Taipei, Taiwan" because the ISU is going to get in trouble with China for recognizing Taiwan as an actual country? I was just wondering what Chinese fans thought of that, when they were attending the event. It seems ridiculous to me, and sad that at all sporting events, Taiwan can't be recognized properly and must be referred to as "Chinese Taipei." :disapp:

Also, was wondering how many fans in the arena were actually Taiwan locals vs. international crowds. I wouldn't think figure skating would be that popular in Taiwan, but who knows?

What is the proper recognition? Taiwan has never been declared an independent nation, not by either government. For Decades, each government claims to be the legitimate government for the whole country of China. The US created the two China propaganda to maintain the naval presence in the region, ever ready to move in for war. Taiwan plays both sides for benefits, getting US aids as well as special status doing business with Mainland China, many of them traveling frequently and establishing families there. There have been advocacies off and on for independence by some original locals and natives but no significant movements or anything close to legal has been done relating to independence. Taiwan has too much to enjoy with the current status.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
"Republic of China" or "Taiwan."

Republic of China means the whole China, the name under Kuomingtang before the exile. Taiwan is a province of China.

There is no recognized nation of Taiwan or ROC. Chinese Taipei is simply a silly political compromise for Taiwan to participate in various international events, as agreed by all including the UN. Politics can be silly but better silly than deadly. Such silliness lets lives and businesses to go on, as well as some fun and game such as the 4CC Figure Skating Championships.

Last edited: