Julian Zhi Jie Yee | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Julian Zhi Jie Yee

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Some updates on Julian at the Asian Winter Games in Sapporo!

Julian is skating his SP today at 17.13 malaysia time. Live link
https://livestreaming.sapporo2017.org/index/live/sid/1982b64a01668f409d53c997d99fe192/lang/en

It's crazy but his team literally flew straight from 4CC in S. Korea to Sapporo - which would make it two weeks on the road with back to back competitions.

Great he is getting experience but hope he gets some serious R & R too. Look forward to seeing him again soon...

snd

On the Ice
his fs at worlds was very engaging. he moves across the ice like a cat - all smooth. every other guy skating after him and before misha looked like a newborn calf in comparison - though i understand these long limbs are hard to manage and all that... anyway, his pcs should start getting higher. the crowd loved him and he should receive better scores for bringing clean-ish, smooth, artistic performances to the table.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I agree, his free skate at Worlds was incredibly fun to watch. Top 5 in presentation for me, that's for sure :biggrin: The kid is a natural talent!

sam123

On the Ice
So apparently Julian announced in his Instagram that he'll be skating to "To Build A Home" next season for his SP. Preeetttyyy big change from his usual cool soul rock-ish song choices in the past ;)

OniBan

Final Flight
So apparently Julian announced in his Instagram that he'll be skating to "To Build A Home" next season for his SP. Preeetttyyy big change from his usual cool soul rock-ish song choices in the past ;)

I hope I'll get to see that in person at the SEA Games happening now in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia! That is a pretty different direction. And it also shows he is exploring more range as a performer.

OniBan

Final Flight
I should've posted this yoinks ago (thanks deadlines and work), but here's Julian's vlog on training n upcoming SEA Games, which will feature figure skating for the first time.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=343s&v=xjUuxI2wCwA

He's due to compete next weekend on the 26-27th August. Any fellow Malaysians attending? Let's all come and give him all our support!!

sam123

On the Ice
Congrats to Julian and Kai Xiang for winning gold and bronze respectively!
Also, any Malaysians here? You won't believe it, but there are some (read: Indonesians. Yes, i have to be specific here) who doubted that he can speak the Malay language. I'm cackling here :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... My name is Julian Yee, or some of you may heard of me as Julian Zhi-Jie YEE. ... Since the age of 4, I've dedicated my life to the ice. I am a home grown Figure Skater ... My ultimate goal is ... the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea. ...

I believe I can be the First ever Malaysian to qualify for the Winter Olympics .... Please do support and join me on the Road to be the First Malaysian Winter Olympian.

Many congratulations to Julian for earning the first OWG spot for Malaysia :bow:.
Thrilled for him :dance2:.

Chloe Ing has posted a lovely message and photo album in honor of her friend Julian achieving his dream and being an inspiration to her and others :ghug:.

(BTW, I see that one of the throwback photos is of Julian and Chloe together at an ISU Development Trophy event. I would say that Julian is a success story from this ISU initiative.)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Many congratulations to Julian for earning the first OWG spot for Malaysia :bow:.
Thrilled for him :dance2:.

Chloe Ing has posted a lovely message and photo album in honor of her friend Julian achieving his dream and being an inspiration to her and others :ghug:.

(BTW, I see that one of the throwback photos is of Julian and Chloe together at an ISU Development Trophy event. I would say that Julian is a success story from this ISU initiative.)

Thanks for sharing that Instagram post from Chloe Ing, and speaking about an ISU Development Trophy event. I agree that Julian should be used as a success story for the ISU.

I am also beyond thrilled that he is going to the Olympics. I was first exposed to him at last year's 4CC, and simply fell for his skating. I hope he continues to do great things, and I know he'll make a mark for Malaysia and SEA skating.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Congratulations for his winning the Olympic spot at Nebelhorn!

I'm so proud of Julian as a fan. :)

sam123

On the Ice
Sigh...
Fellow Malaysians (and everyone else), let's talk shall we?
Earlier, the PM of our country just congratulated Julian for the Olympics spot next year. And some smart jackass JUST NEEDED to insert in political sentiment in the reply, calling him *** Chinese (the name of a certain party). Whatever and however the political situation is in Malaysia, I feel that this achievement is something to be proud of. Can't people just be happy for him and for once not be such racists?
At this point I feel like forming a protection squad for Julian. #protectjujufromidiots or something, I don't know. We don't need this kind of hate to start brewing in FS. As if we need any example from the past SEA Games with people from neighbouring countries calling Julian's gold medal win a "cheat" and that he's "imported from China".

Eclair

Medalist
Sigh...
Fellow Malaysians (and everyone else), let's talk shall we?
Earlier, the PM of our country just congratulated Julian for the Olympics spot next year. And some smart jackass JUST NEEDED to insert in political sentiment in the reply, calling him *** Chinese (the name of a certain party). Whatever and however the political situation is in Malaysia, I feel that this achievement is something to be proud of. Can't people just be happy for him and for once not be such racists?
At this point I feel like forming a protection squad for Julian. #protectjujufromidiots or something, I don't know. We don't need this kind of hate to start brewing in FS. As if we need any example from the past SEA Games with people from neighbouring countries calling Julian's gold medal win a "cheat" and that he's "imported from China".

So sad some people can't see beyond heritage and aknowledge that if someone speaks the language, grows up in a country and has that countries nationality it means, that he's just as much Malaysian than any other Malaysian.

I haven't heard about anything concerning the political situation in Malaysia, would you care to elaborate? Are they becoming more nationalistic or is there just a dislike for china? I thought Malaysia only didn't like trump ...?

sam123

On the Ice
So sad some people can't see beyond heritage and aknowledge that if someone speaks the language, grows up in a country and has that countries nationality it means, that he's just as much Malaysian than any other Malaysian.

I haven't heard about anything concerning the political situation in Malaysia, would you care to elaborate? Are they becoming more nationalistic or is there just a dislike for china? I thought Malaysia only didn't like trump ...?

The whole situation is actually very complex, you see. The political parties in our country are formed by race, namely Malay, Chinese & Indian. The thing is its not that the people are becoming nationalistic, its not even to that point. Its more like "my race is better than your race" superiority. And also the political parties are attacking one another with name calling and what not. No, I doubt there's a general dislike for China. Its just that most of our athletes are Chinese origin (not born in China thank you very much). For me generally, I think most of our non Chinese Malaysians are more invested in other things (ie: entertainment and corporate businesses). Besides, it is a known fact that in terms of sports, the Chinese are very strong (feel free to correct me on this). All of this are fine on their own, UNTIL some political party member start saying stuff like "see how our athletes are making our country proud? If not for the Chinese, who else?" :palmf: And you know, hell breaks loose.

And yes, Trump is a nightmare to us all -sigh-

iorii

On the Ice
Congrats to Julian for securing his Olympic spot!!

I especially love the second part of his FS. I think he's the crowd pleaser sort of performer, he got the audience hyped up. Upbeat and fun programs suit him! I first watched him from his 4CC EX performance. One of most interesting EX I have ever seen.

It would be nice if he could get that side lunge sharpened and hold his cantilever a bit longer. His skating is interesting to watch, he's a skater with personality! :luv17: