North Korea Figure Skating Festival 2016 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

North Korea Figure Skating Festival 2016

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Look like she was there with Gachinski.

I am not happy about either of them being there, though I normally enjoy any time they are seen together.

I personally don't mind that she's there. Like everyone else pretty much in the world I don't agree with NK's policies, but I think that complete isolation of the country doesn't help anything and hurts both citizens of North Korea (as it enables their government to deceive them even more easily) and to a smaller degree those outside it.

Well, that's fine to think that, but really, do you really honestly believe that the people in that ice rink were ordinary, everyday, average North Koreans? Come on. That rink would have been full of government and army officials. The poor souls working to death in the fields far from the capital probably never even heard about it, and if they did, probably could not afford it.

Yes, this event was held to honour the memory of a politician.

No. Not a politician. A dictator.

I wonder how many of you would have been okay if Liza had been invited to skate at some memorial gala for Hitler? After all, by all your estimates, he was only a politician.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Not gonna participate in that b/c I have a lot to say about dictators & the west, & 'freedom' from these dictators but its not the place for that:roll5::laugh: :slink:

so I'll stick to Liza & worrying about her performance at WTT
She's not at Worlds but I hope she can show a performance worthy of a champ!

Lipea

Final Flight
I'm a little shocked. But that could be me, I mean, Denis Rodman didn't shock be when he visited NK (I guess he just cannot shock me), but he regretted the visit afterwards.
Beyonce, Mariah Carey and Usher visited Qaddafi in Libya before his downfall as far as I know and I didn't like that either. So I guess her visit is nothing really unusal, dictators want to be seen with international stars and it looks like Jong-un is a figure skating fan so it seems only natural that he would want her to visit NK. But it's not her smartest move.

CEOs in the West are really nothing better the dictators in North Korea or elsewhere. It is just the matter how to name and present things, and from which point of view to see it. In America everyone thought (and some still think) that the life in the USSR was terrible, when it actually was, almost at any given time, better than the life in the USA of the same time period, and 60-90 in the USSR were definitely better than any of the ex-USSR countries' level of life now. In the "free" West there are as much of propaganda of the media, and we are aware only the worst things about North Korea, because no Western media will ever speak well of communism. And totalitarian regimes always brought the great results in terms of cultural and other achievements: more discipline, more unity, harsh selection, strict training, etc. I would love to visit North Korea in like 20 years...

Anyway, I watched some parts of the show, it looked great! I wonder when they will start sending off their skaters to compete on international competitions... it looks like they definitely could. Who made the videos and how?

Lipea

Final Flight
I am not happy about either of them being there, though I normally enjoy any time they are seen together.

Well, that's fine to think that, but really, do you really honestly believe that the people in that ice rink were ordinary, everyday, average North Koreans? Come on. That rink would have been full of government and army officials. The poor souls working to death in the fields far from the capital probably never even heard about it, and if they did, probably could not afford it.

No. Not a politician. A dictator.

I wonder how many of you would have been okay if Liza had been invited to skate at some memorial gala for Hitler? After all, by all your estimates, he was only a politician.

Your opinion is very one-side-Western, karne. You present the common point of view though.
It is not a secret from anyone that as Westerners even poorest of us live way above the world-estimated middle-class, and it is because the "poor souls" of certain developing countries (like in China, Vietnam, Phillipines) are working on us almost for free so we can buy goods for cheap, which also makes our companies richer. So, how are we better then, basically benefiting from slavery? And talking about Hitler and dictatorship, it is rather GW Bush who could be considered "Hitler" of nowadays, because under his leadership of "War on terror" more than 250000 of innocent civilians (Columbia University research) were killed by U.S. army in Afganistan, Pakistan and Iraq.

I am really sorry for off-topic, Doris. I just wanted to show that not everyone here shares the same, stardard social/political views, since it is straightly connected to this particular discussion. And, in any case, neither the sport, nor the art, should be restricted by political views. I am done.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I wonder when they will start sending off their skaters to compete on international competitions... it looks like they definitely could. ...

Tae Ok Ryom and Ju Sik Kim of DPRK just competed in Pairs at Four Continents. Their skating was very likeable.
Today the ISU Instagram account posted a photo of Ryom/Kim's death spiral:

Here is the DPRK pair with skaters from other countries at the banquet in Taipei:

ETA (on Feb 24):

One more off-ice photo of them from Four Continents:

They placed seventh at Four Continents, and had placed fifth at 2015 Ice Challenge in Graz, which was a Challenger comp.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
CEOs in the West are really nothing better the dictators in North Korea or elsewhere.
And what has that to do with anything? I expect better from western politicians than from CEO's. And there's still the law and because of that CEO's and politicians aren't free to do anything they want. Makes a difference.
We have yet to find the perfect political system. But human rights are important.

ICESKATEKOREA

Spectator
FEB 2017 North Korea Comp Funding 4 PRO FS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

North Korea Welcomes International Figure Skaters and Media to participate in International Competition this February
PRESS RELEASE (2017-01-13):

PYONGYANG, North Korea (DPRK) – The 25th annual Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival will take place at the Pyongyang Ice Rink this February 15-17 2017. This event is one of the festivities which is held to celebrate the “Day of the Shining Star” and to globally promote independence, and international peace and friendship.

PCE Figure skatingVarious levels of funding are available to support qualified international figure skaters who are interested in competing in this special event. The organizing committee will also offer sightseeing tours of the capital and athletes will be invited to attend official government commemorative events held during this nationwide festival involving relevant government officials, North Korean and international athletes.

Interested figure skaters can contact the Canadian-based Paektu Cultural Exchange (PCE) for more information on competing and attending this unique event. PCE is an official partner of the DPRK Ministry of Sport and collaborates to promote and organize international sports exchanges, competitions, training and educational programs.

To date, 8 professional international figure skaters have already been confirmed for this year’s competition which will include a former Olympic gold medalist, who has also won the World, European, and Grand Prix Final figure skating champions.

“This event aims to challenge negative stereotypes, allow people to gain knowledge and understanding, share in a unique experience, and hopefully foster friendships through friendly competition while taking part in this exciting event,” said Michael Spavor, Paektu Cultural Exchange’s director.

Spavor organized several delegations for the NBA hall of Famer Dennis Rodman, culminating in an internationally renowned basketball game in January 2014 between the DPRK National Basketball Team and former NBA players. He also organized the 2016 Pyongyang International Friendship Hockey Exhibition (PIFIHE), as well as participated in the 2014 Inoki North Korea Wrestling Extravaganza.

Spectators are welcome to attend the event, with proceeds from group and private tour packages being used to support projects for intellectually disabled athletes in the DPRK. Please contact as soon as possible as the sign-up time is limited.

Last year’s international figure skaters included Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, from Russia, Alina Fjodorova from Latvia, Janina Makeenka from Belarus and Elladj Balde from Canada. Also attending this three-day event are foreign diplomats, students, athletes, representatives from international organizations, government officials, other foreign guests and overseas Koreans.

Professional media wishing to televise or cover this event can contact Paektu Cultural Exchange directly for more information.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Event Name: 25th Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival

Event Name in DPR Korean: 제25차 광명성절경축 백두산상국제휘거축전

More information and content will be released shortly through our website and social media feeds:

About Paektu Cultural Exchange

Paektu Cultural Exchange is a non-profit organization facilitating sustainable cooperation, cross-cultural exchanges involving sport, tourism, business and trade with the DPRK.

Links:

email: [email protected]

Webpage: www.paektuculturalexchange.org

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PaektuCulturalExchange

Twitter: www.twitter.com/mpspavor

Instagram: https://instagram.com/paektuexchanges

Google+ https://plus.google.com/+PaektuculturalexchangeOrgAgency

MEDIA

If you are a member of a news or media organization and you would like to request an interview, to attend the event or would like more information, please contact us here.

SPONSORSHIP & DONATIONS

If you are interested in sponsoring, donating or contributing to the 25th Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival please contact us here.

ON SAFETY AND SECURITY

Despite these recent issues in the media, the DPRK remains to a safe place to travel. As with all of our projects and delegations, will make sure our guests are properly briefed before traveling to North Korea.