Judge me if you can | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Judge me if you can

melmel

On the Ice
Wow, we were much harsher ! (well not me, I was giving those GOE and PCS like candies XDDDD) I think it could be explained like someone said already that we didn't saw the weaker skaters so we didn't necesserily saw what a very low score would be. Plus, well, we might not know all the bullets as well as the judges do.

Now I'm very very very excited to see how the GPF would turn out !

Can I suggest to edit the first post of the thread to add the protocols/results and judging links when we do a competition ? It would be easier to find them :D

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think it could be explained like someone said already that we didn't saw the weaker skaters so we didn't necesserily saw what a very low score would be.

Yes, that's a good point.

For those who are interested, scoring a larger field like all the skaters at Euros or 4Cs would give a better sense of the range of ability in senior skaters. If that's too big a task, maybe randomly choose in advance one or two skaters from each warmup group.

A full GP event would give a wider range than the GPF with only twice as many skaters, but even the lowest-ranked skaters at a GP were good enough to earn the invitation. Still, it's not uncommon to see component scores in the 5s and 6s, to provide some contrast to the medal contenders who generally deserve higher PCS even in the areas that aren't their personal strengths.

And then we could get into discussions like "X didn't have the jump/skating skills of the top guys, but he really interpreted the music and sold the program better than medal contender Y" and debate whether X deserved higher scores than Y for Interpretation or Performance/Execution even if the official judges didn't score it that way.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
If we were judging NHK, I'd have given Grant 9's on some of his components, but this was a really rough program from him, skating included. So I had to give him 7's and 8's.

Perdita

Final Flight
One of the reasons Grant got higher marks than the official score is because here people gave +GOEs for his two 3Lz, which in reality should be getting -GOEs for ! call.

GPF Round 2 and ladies event will come in time... Look forward to it ;)

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
One of the reasons Grant got higher marks than the official score is because here people gave +GOEs for his two 3Lz, which in reality should be getting -GOEs for ! call.

GPF Round 2 and ladies event will come in time... Look forward to it ;)

...I missed that when inputing my marks. Even though I kept confusing his flips and Lutzes (granted I was doing this at 4AM so maybe that had something to do with it Lol). I revised my Lz marks for him. Lol If they were e I would've kept mine in the positives...

samson

Medalist
Really illuminating! I agree with everyone else who mentioned how seeing a larger range of skaters/abilities would affect how we would score the event. I'm curious, when others were scoring did anyone have certain skaters/standards in their mind for rewarding certain bullets in GOE or figuring out how to scale the PCS?

For instance, when looking at footwork and determining GOE, the bullet point about deep edges was one I was really stingy on. I used Carolina as my standard for rewarding someone for deep edges and I think I may have only given Patrick that bullet :hopelessness:

Obviously that's a tiny detail but those things definitely made the difference for me if deciding a spin or a jump was +1 or+2

I also found there were times that a skater arguably hit enough bullets to get a +3 but I was reluctant because it might have checked off the boxes, but it didn't give me the "wow factor" I want to feel to reward a +3. On the other hand, I'll admit I gave Boyang a +3 on his first quad lutz, because even though I don't think it had enough bullets to justify, the sheer height and distance of that beauty of a jump was too good for me not to give it!

unico

Final Flight
Can I just say, Perdita, this is so cool. Really enjoyed the live judging. Thanks for the hard work in putting together such a user-friendly and well-presented program. :bow: Would love to help out in any way for future events if you'd like to expand to entire fields. :yes:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Are the formulas correct? I've made myself a protocol with each separate GOE and component but my sums aren't coming out to match yours? Even though the trimmed component values and GOE+BV values match yours. I get TES = 109.39 and PCS = 70.64? Checking is a lot of work, I know. Just curious if I'm missing something. Lol

melmel

On the Ice
Really illuminating! I agree with everyone else who mentioned how seeing a larger range of skaters/abilities would affect how we would score the event. I'm curious, when others were scoring did anyone have certain skaters/standards in their mind for rewarding certain bullets in GOE or figuring out how to scale the PCS?

For instance, when looking at footwork and determining GOE, the bullet point about deep edges was one I was really stingy on. I used Carolina as my standard for rewarding someone for deep edges and I think I may have only given Patrick that bullet :hopelessness:

Obviously that's a tiny detail but those things definitely made the difference for me if deciding a spin or a jump was +1 or+2

I also found there were times that a skater arguably hit enough bullets to get a +3 but I was reluctant because it might have checked off the boxes, but it didn't give me the "wow factor" I want to feel to reward a +3. On the other hand, I'll admit I gave Boyang a +3 on his first quad lutz, because even though I don't think it had enough bullets to justify, the sheer height and distance of that beauty of a jump was too good for me not to give it!

I admit that my "standard" was Yuzuru NHK/GPF performance :p but mostly for transition in and out of elements and spins. For the step sequences I rewarded GOE depending of if it was well executed and matching the music and if there wasn't little "stops/scratches" during it. I considered that the levels would take care of the level of difficulty and I would judge the quality of execution no matter the levels. Kinda same with spins. And I was pretty "harsh" (in my santa claus way XD) on spins with "slow" endings. I want as much "snap" when you finish your spin as when you started it :p.
Jumps was a ? to me on some occasions because I tended to not give +3 if there were no transition in and out of the jumps. But I did gave Boyang's 4Lz a +3 just because it's so big and there was no scratchy landings so just for the wow factor :p

melmel

On the Ice
Are the formulas correct? I've made myself a protocol with each separate GOE and component but my sums aren't coming out to match yours? Even though the trimmed component values and GOE+BV values match yours. I get TES = 109.39 and PCS = 70.64? Checking is a lot of work, I know. Just curious if I'm missing something. Lol

NOt answering your question but I was wondering if you would share it ? I suck at those stuff but I would love to see what results I would have if I was the only judge XD (or maybe is it possible to add that option to Perdita's sheets ? I have absolutely no idea how much work that would require :s)

Perdita

Final Flight

You're right! There was a mistake for Han, Mura, Boyang and Patrick's TESs. I fixed it!

unico, thank you for your offer! I'll ask for help when I need them ;)

melmel, unfortunately I don't think I can do that... you can always check ISU Communication 1944 for the GOE scale though.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
You're right! There was a mistake for Han, Mura, Boyang and Patrick's TESs. I fixed it!

unico, thank you for your offer! I'll ask for help when I need them ;)

melmel, unfortunately I don't think I can do that... you can always check ISU Communication 1944 for the GOE scale though.

With this change, the placements are exactly the same as the judges made them in the official scores. What do you know! The judges are doing their job. :points:

Alex D

Record Breaker
As I mentioned in my OP, I actually got inspired by your post on FSU... I hope you don't mind :slink: I'm looking forward to see your blog project, yours seems to incorporate a lot of insightful fans and that sounds very intriguing :)

I'm sorry about that, I did anticipate there might be people without Google account. But this is the only way I can allow one answer per person and also allow voters to edit their answers afterward so I hope you understand. If you don't mind me knowing your votes, you can DM me your score, I'll type them in for you.

---

I'm making the result page and the protocol right now but one thing I can say... you guys are pretty harsh! I wonder if even Yuzu could break 300 if you were the judges :laugh:

Oh I do understand don´t worry, I love the idea - I am just a very shy person ;) and my phone number or email are very sacred to me and only my best friends get these. Maybe I should get something like a fake phone number for these type of registrations, as also Instagramm where I wanted to post my pictures want´s my number... . Your offer is wonderful, thank you and if I have more time again and you keep that project going, I will absolutely take your offer and send you my results. :)

Best wishes :)

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
NOt answering your question but I was wondering if you would share it ? I suck at those stuff but I would love to see what results I would have if I was the only judge XD (or maybe is it possible to add that option to Perdita's sheets ? I have absolutely no idea how much work that would require :s)

I will after the deadline for submitting marks, if Perdita is okay with it.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
As I mentioned in my OP, I actually got inspired by your post on FSU... I hope you don't mind :slink: I'm looking forward to see your blog project, yours seems to incorporate a lot of insightful fans and that sounds very intriguing :):

Not at all, I totally love it!:agree: I was inspired by The Judges' Table's idea of having a group of people weigh in on a competition. I love playing with numbers so I thought I'd take it one step further and do an actual panel with scores. You were inspired by my idea and took it a step further by incorporating a wider sample of scores (the whole forum! :biggrin:). We're all building off of each other's ideas and coming up fun things for us to do as fans. That is awesome!:hap85:

I'm getting started with my scoring project. I've posted an explanation of what I'm going to do, a sample and a sign up form if anyone is interested in participating (you better sign up Perdita!:yes:). It's only for the ladies events though (sorry everyone else).:slink:

Perdita, will you be doing scoring for junior worlds?

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
Not at all, I totally love it!:agree: I was inspired by The Judges' Table's idea of having a group of people weigh in on a competition. I love playing with numbers so I thought I'd take it one step further and do an actual panel with scores. You were inspired by my idea and took it a step further by incorporating a wider sample of scores (the whole forum! :biggrin:). We're all building off of each other's ideas and coming up fun things for us to do as fans. That is awesome!:hap85:

I'm getting started with my scoring project. I've posted an explanation of what I'm going to do, a sample and a sign up form if anyone is interested in participating (you better sign up Perdita!:yes:). It's only for the ladies events though (sorry everyone else).:slink:

Perdita, will you be doing scoring for junior worlds?

:cool2: I'd love to participate your project too. I'm a bit busy around March unfortunately but the summer off season project sounds good for me :yay: Should I sign up now?

I've got my hands full with GPF Men project and the World at the moment, so I don't think I'll do junior world :noshake:

------

Reminder:
I feel I gave a bit too much time but I'm closing the scoring form in 2 days. Don't forget to submit your score if you haven't!

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
Now we have the final Result & Protocol!
Boyang still in the second with that disastrous PCS :eeking: and I wonder what's that 4 point difference between Takahito and Han the posters here see... they got almost identical PCS by the official judges :scratch2:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Now we have the final Result & Protocol!
Boyang still in the second with that disastrous PCS :eeking: and I wonder what's that 4 point difference between Takahito and Han the posters here see... they got almost identical PCS by the official judges :scratch2:

OH, do you have the breakdown of the votes (the pie graphs)??