GS Meetup at Worlds 2016! | Golden Skate

GS Meetup at Worlds 2016!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Stay-in-touch

1.) Send Mrs. P your text email and/or phone number to receive text updates on meet-ups during Worlds.

2.) Join the Slack Channel. Email Mrs. P your email to get an invite to the group.

3.) Check out this original post for updates.

Get togethers, meet-ups, etc. UPDATED 3/28/16

PIZZA MEET AND GREET,
Wednesday, March 30
Boston Beer Works, 112 Canal St. (down the street from TD Garden), Our group as the front-dining room.
3:30 -5:30 p.m. (between Short Dance and Opening Creremony/Men's SP).

PIZZA INFO: Golden Skate is offering $200 in pizzas, first-come, first serve. Each pizza serves 3 people (3 small slices) as an appitizer. Plesae limit yourself to that serving. You will be able to order additional food/drinks on your own.
If you are able, we are also asking those who are able to donate $1 for the tip. This ensures we can spent the money from Golden Skate for pizza (and tax).

Nguyhm is also ordering dessert from Modern Pastry. Get something sweet before you head back to the arena! https://www.diningin.com/Menu/Boston/1100052/2540/full

Please PM on here or GS to @nguyhm by Tuesday, March 29 if you are interested in ordering dessert.

BRUNCH: 10 a.m., April 1 North Street Grille, 229 North St . Please RSVP by Wednesday, March 30 AM with Mrs. P.
RSVP: 20 (Mrs. P, babyskate, charmblade, karne, winky97, apgold, sweetsugar1613, princessroja, lyverbird (+1), nancela, Seruleane, CoyoteChris, Sjs5572 (+1), Itzme, nguyhm, oceanle, TheGrandSophy, Bag of Goldfish)
INTERESTED (waiting list): INTERESTED: 6( rain037, narcissa, solar, lilahozi, waxel, RD)

FULL; additional spots for waiting list folks only

DAILY NIGHT CAPS IN BACK BAY, after conclusion of evening sessions, TBD

DINNER, Saturday April 2: Sjs5572 is organizing a dinner at Filippo Restaurant on April 2nd at 4:30 PM (between the Pairs and Ladies FS). Filippo is at 283 Causeway Street, about a five minute walk to TD Garden. PM him if you're interested in joining.

ORIGINAL POST
Hi everyone! Thought it would be good to start a new thread to discuss meetups during Worlds 2016. There will be plenty of informal meet ups at practices and during ice resurfaces, but this would be for organized meet ups throughout the event.

So far possible meetups proposed include:

Would anyone of you like to meet in the food court after the short dance on Wednesday? Just to hang out - an informal introduction to let off some steam/frustration and/or celebrate.
I really need to go back to the hotel and check in but I'm so worried of missing the opening ceremony so it'd be best that I stay close by.

Okay, I'm going to take some initiative!

Would any of you be interested in a brunch before either the Ladies (Thursday) or Pairs SP (Friday)? I'm thinking maybe 9 or 10 a.m., so that give like three hours before the start of either SP -- and it isn't super early so you guys can get sleep after the evening sessions. I can aim for a place close to TD Garden -- or at least easily accessible via the T.

ETA: Before pairs might be the better choice since that doesn't start until 1:15 p.m. Friday. (Ladies starts about 30 minutes earlier).

Saturday has a huge gap between the Pairs and Ladies FS, but someone else would have to organize that meet up since I'm flying home that day. :(

And as noted above there is a huge 3 hour break between the free skates on Saturday, though I won't be able to be there.

I'll also suggest an open happy hour at the Westin (or somewhere closeby) after the evening sessions. :)

What do you guys think? I'll update this original post as we firm up details. :)

Last edited:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm arriving late Wednesday evening! It would be awesome to meet up before or after an event

winky97

Medalist
I get in Tues am and will be there until Monday am. I will be at the Westin. I am a lone wolf so I am pretty much flexible with everything.

sweetsugar1613

Rinkside
Hi! This is my first time going to a figure skating event and I'll be going alone so I would love to go to any GS meetups! I'm arriving Thursday afternoon so I would definitely be down for a brunch on Friday and any happy hours after the evening sessions!

nguyhm

On the Ice
@Mrs. P thank you for starting the thread, I would love to meet up whenever and wherever... All the suggestions sound great. I might go to all of the meet ups ;)

Last edited:

caelum

On the Ice
I’m going, despite my better financial judgment (poor student :sad4:). I’m there Wednesday through Sunday morning, though I’m not attending every event in there. I’d love to meet up with people!

Mostly I’m just chiming in to say that I did my undergrad in Boston, so I lived there for about 4 years (actually the part of Cambridge just across from Beacon Hill / West End so I know the area around TD Garden fairly well) and I could recommend some nice, not to expensive restaurants in the area for brunch or drinks. Just let me know if anyone wants some ideas for a meet up.

charmblade

Final Flight
I'm up for pretty much whatever. I live in Boston so I'll be around all the time lol. I have off from work Tuesday-Sunday so I can do everything.

This was briefly discussed on another thread, but I was wondering if anyone is interested in doing something to try and help identify each other as GoldenSkate members. I know previous suggestions involved hats or some sort of badge with a GoldenSkate logo, but I was thinking a much easier idea could just be to have something yellow pinned to your clothing (i.e. a yellow ribbon or brooch or a scrap of fabric or really anything). Or maybe wear a yellow scarf. That way if see someone else with some yellow you could just ask if they're a GS member. If not, no harm done, but it might be nice to just have a way to recognize each other.

rain037

Rinkside
I'm arriving on the Thursday evening. I would definitely like to join some of you for the brunch before pairs :)

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm up for pretty much whatever. I live in Boston so I'll be around all the time lol. I have off from work Tuesday-Sunday so I can do everything.

This was briefly discussed on another thread, but I was wondering if anyone is interested in doing something to try and help identify each other as GoldenSkate members. I know previous suggestions involved hats or some sort of badge with a GoldenSkate logo, but I was thinking a much easier idea could just be to have something yellow pinned to your clothing (i.e. a yellow ribbon or brooch or a scrap of fabric or really anything). Or maybe wear a yellow scarf. That way if see someone else with some yellow you could just ask if they're a GS member. If not, no harm done, but it might be nice to just have a way to recognize each other.

This is a good idea, even if it's just a yellow ribbon or something small. As long as it's identifiable!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is a good idea, even if it's just a yellow ribbon or something small. As long as it's identifiable!

I am working on my GS credential lanyard but a small piece of yellow ribbon is a great idea for something simple....I am suprised there isnt an app for our cell phones where we get within bluetooth range of a GS member and our phones beep and tell us who that member is!
(If we could just have Doris and Mrs. P dress up in banana suits, they would easy to spot and we could rally around them during breaks, ice resurfaces, etc. What could possibly go wrong?)

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're arriving on Sunday, March 27 (by train). Our seats are in Loge 10, Row 11, Seats 11,12. Hope to meet up with as many of you as possible, especially during practices!

We're staying @ the Marriott, Copley Place.

Last edited:

TelmoFe

Rinkside
I arrive at tuesday, so I have all week. I prefer a close place to TD Garden that we can go walking... Let me know when you decide! Exciting to know you all.

londongirl

Spectator
I'll be arriving on Monday and will be staying until Sunday - since I'm travelling alone I would actually love to meet up with some of you guys so I'm open to all suggestions :)

babyskate

On the Ice
I'm arriving on the Thursday evening. I would definitely like to join some of you for the brunch before pairs :)

I am coming Thursday night also.
Would love to meet up for a brunch prior to pairs.
I hope it could work out.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm arriving Thursday morning, and will also be seeing the pairs SP :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm arriving on Wednesday afternoon in time for the Opening Ceremonies and leaving Sunday so will miss the Gala. Plan to attend everything in between even if I don't see some of the earlier flight skaters. Hope to get in some practice times too, but not doing the early morning ones!

Hope to do the brunch. I'll be on my own but meeting some friends. Not staying in a hotel but a lovely AirBnB in the South End, so I'll be about 2 miles or so from TD Garden.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
My friend (who has little to no figure skating knowledge :) ) and I will be arriving Wednesday afternoon so we may be able to meet up whenever.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So are people cool with brunch on Friday, before Pairs? Or any preference toward doing it before Ladies on Thursday? Cause once I firm up a day, I can start hunting for brunch spots!

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
So are people cool with brunch on Friday, before Pairs? Or any preference toward doing it before Ladies on Thursday? Cause once I firm up a day, I can start hunting for brunch spots!

I'd love it! Are people of all ages welcome? :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Sounds perfect to me!