2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat

kelleigh

On the Ice
I think what really annoyed me is that they would get up at oh-so-early, "reserve" a seat, and then leave again... only to return during the practice with the Japanese skaters, while the rest of the time the seats were just empty.

I have no real experience with other skating events to compare. The only other one I ever visited was a Challenge Cup event in The Hague, and while it had a few good skaters, it was just a very small event, with an even smaller audience, and the most I remember about it was how utterly COLD it was.

The Barcelona GPFs were brilliant, though. Loads of fun, well organized, and, well, I love Barcelona. If Marseille and Helsinki are half as good as Barcelona, it should be great!

I did ask some of them if I could take the seat and they meekly said yes. :laugh: I hope it's not going to happen in Boston again.

Most of the rinks are deadly freezing. Hague's shouldn't be out of them. :biggrin: TBH I have higher expectation to Helsinki rather than Marseille, for God's sake the spots for Olympics! I will certainly go to Marseille for their food though...

By the way, has anyone booked their hotels yet?

I book one near the central market.

Caustica

Final Flight
I did ask some of them if I could take the seat and they meekly said yes. :laugh: I hope it's not going to happen in Boston again.

I read that for Skate Canada Autumn Classic last year (Hanyu went), some Japanese spectators tried to leave their handkerchiefs etc. during the practice sessions, but when they returned just as the Hanyu was about to skate they discovered that security had removed all of those belongings! It's a bit harsh, because it doesn't differentiate between someone who might have just left their stuff there to go to the loo, but it certainly solves the problem...

I book one near the central market.

Is the central market also where the Helsinki Central Station is? My mum and I were thinking of booking one near the rink, but apparently that area is really empty, so perhaps it would be a better idea to book one near the centre of town :/ But figure skating events tend to end really late :/

dasani

On the Ice
Is the central market also where the Helsinki Central Station is? My mum and I were thinking of booking one near the rink, but apparently that area is really empty, so perhaps it would be a better idea to book one near the centre of town :/ But figure skating events tend to end really late :/

http://www.thetrainline-europe.com/station/helsinki-pasila~1000095

If I'm reading the above schedule properly, it seems that the train from Hartwall Arena (Pasila station) to Helsinki city centre runs until pretty late. The train ride is about 5 mins so it's definitely not a bad option to stay closer to the city centre.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
http://www.thetrainline-europe.com/station/helsinki-pasila~1000095

If I'm reading the above schedule properly, it seems that the train from Hartwall Arena (Pasila station) to Helsinki city centre runs until pretty late. The train ride is about 5 mins so it's definitely not a bad option to stay closer to the city centre.
Looks like the trams run close by too, going from/to the city centre every 8-10 minutes until well after 11pm.
There will be buses too.

None of the competitions I've been to, has ever finished so late that people had problems using public transport... so I wouldn't worry.

PS. Nobody should leave Helsinki without going to the dockside, and eating the Salmon cooked at the stalls there...

Last edited:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

here's a crazy Spaniard who wants to buy 2 tickets (I think Ice level 2) for Worlds 2017. I already have a hotel reservation for GPF Marseille 2016, however I've never had the chance to see Worlds live, so after seeing the Worlds tickets prices I'm more inclined to head to Helsinki instead of Marseille.

Forgive me for going off topic but do you know the venue for the GPF in Marseille? I've been holding off booking a hotel without knowing the venue. Btw, if I may ask, which hotel did you book?

kelleigh

On the Ice
It's a bit harsh, because it doesn't differentiate between someone who might have just left their stuff there to go to the loo, but it certainly solves the problem...

Yes, the cleaners cleared them up. I heard the things were put somewhere like lost and found but I didn't see anyone picking up their belongings so...:popcorn:

No worries, Helsinki is very convenient in transportation, tram, bus, train... whatever, we will find something. :ghug:

Forgive me for going off topic but do you know the venue for the GPF in Marseille? I've been holding off booking a hotel without knowing the venue. Btw, if I may ask, which hotel did you book?

I guess the venue will be Marseille Chanot? I remember the city has an ice rink but not sure if it is big enough for enormous amount of GPF audiences or not.

I book Marriott AC nearby. However, has the sale of tix started yet?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Forgive me for going off topic but do you know the venue for the GPF in Marseille? ...

Seems that the GPF venue in Marseille will be le Palais de la Glisse et de la Glace, according to p. 4 of this FFSG pdf:

J’ai proposé à la Fédération internationale, qui l’a agréée, que la finale du Grand Prix 2015 à Barcelone accorde cette visibilité. Cette proposition a été acceptée et nous en sommes extrêmement fiers car tout cela ira dans le bon sens de l’acceptation par le CIO de cette discipline au JO. Je profite de l’opportunité pour vous annoncer que la finale 2016 se déroule- ra bien à Marseille, dans le Palais de la Glisse et de la Glace.

Caustica

Final Flight
Does anyone know which hotel is the official hotel for skaters? :)

EDIT: It seems it is 'Scandic Park Helsinki', as there are no rooms available for that period already :O I'm a bit confused as to why they picked that hotel, since it's neither in the centre nor particularly close to the rink.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Maybe they are hoping that by avoiding the city center, the hotel can avoid thousands of stalkerish fans hanging out at the entrance. ;-)
I assume they will provide separate transport by bus for all skaters and company, or something similar. There seems to be no good reason to stay near the Hartwall arena for anybody, if there just isn't much there.

agataquiroga

Rinkside

HAHA, Marseille has an ice rink called Palais Omnisport, but if you see the rink it's impossible that it holds a GPF 'cause it doesn't have space for the audience, so there are rumours that it will be held in the Velodromo stadium, or at least in that area. My hotel bookin is Ibis Budget Marseille Prado ;)

agataquiroga

Rinkside
Here you go the official agency: www.bjork-bostrom.fi/figure-skating/

They do really have some very good seats but you have to buy that together with the hotel room of coz. You can do the booking and select the tix pack in one go on the agency's website.

I went to GPF 2014 & 2015 also and those were just fabulous! I enjoy the atmosphere so much, it's completely different to any other figure skating competition/show experiences that I've ever had. :cool2:

Thank you so much. I went to GPF 2014 & 2015 'cause they were in my country and they were my first time seeing figure skating live!! I cannot compare it with other places outside of Spain. Is it so different?:laugh: I hope for the good!

Violetti

On the Ice

Right now there goes 10 local trains between 11pm and 12 pm from Pasila to Helsinki Central Station. And 7 trains between 0am and 1am. It should be quite similar next year, too. All trains go via Pasila to Central Station. So if you book one near the Central Station it will be easy to travel by train. If central market means Kauppatori, it is not quite near the central station. You can find Kauppatori here:
http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/see-and-experience/shopping/market-square

kelleigh

On the Ice
Right now there goes 10 local trains between 11pm and 12 pm from Pasila to Helsinki Central Station. And 7 trains between 0am and 1am. It should be quite similar next year, too. All trains go via Pasila to Central Station. So if you book one near the Central Station it will be easy to travel by train. If central market means Kauppatori, it is not quite near the central station. You can find Kauppatori here:
http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/see-and-experience/shopping/market-square

Yep, that's the market, it's not quite near the central station but I just can't let go of any markets......

kelleigh

On the Ice
Thank you so much. I went to GPF 2014 & 2015 'cause they were in my country and they were my first time seeing figure skating live!! I cannot compare it with other places outside of Spain. Is it so different?:laugh: I hope for the good!

Absolutely in a great way. :agree:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
HAHA, Marseille has an ice rink called Palais Omnisport, but if you see the rink it's impossible that it holds a GPF 'cause it doesn't have space for the audience, so there are rumours that it will be held in the Velodromo stadium, or at least in that area. My hotel bookin is Ibis Budget Marseille Prado ;)

Someone I know is also wondering if it will be Salle Vallier. I made a reservation at the B&B Marseille Prado Velodrome, so Velodrome could work for me. The AC is also at Velodrome. Maybe we should start a GPF thread :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Maybe we should start a GPF thread :)

FWIW, from late Feb 2016:

https://twitter.com/ffsportsdeglace/status/702854057371803652
https://www.facebook.com/sportsdeglace/posts/1295647397118412

CO2 Evénement
February 24
Repérage des finales de Grand Prix de patinage
#co2evenement #co2sportevent #ffsg — at Palais Omnisports Marseille Grand Est.
https://www.facebook.com/co2evenement/videos/1208586652499858/?permPage=1

In any case, I agree with your idea to start a GPF thread ... instead of continuing the discussion in the 2017 Worlds thread.

grace75

Rinkside
Helsinki 2017

Hi!
I'm Grace and this is my first post on the GS forum. I'm not sure this is the right place to open this new topic, but it's worth a try.
I have never been to an official competition (well, except a Swiss national championship, which was a good excuse to go and see Stéphane Lambiel win his last national title :laugh:) and I am determined to go to Helsinki in 2017.
I know it seems really early, but I'd like a word of advice regarding tickets, because the official website is already selling them and it looks like the all-event tickets for a lot of the good seats are already gone.
Is there anyone who has already seen a competition at the Hartwall Arena? Any suggestion about sectors and rows?
Thank you so much in advance!

(And BTW, I'm thinking a hostel or an apartment as my accomodation of choice. If someone's interested in sharing, we can talk about that at a later date!)

abfab

Rinkside
Helsinki 2017

Hi!
I'm Grace and this is my first post on the GS forum. I'm not sure this is the right place to open this new topic, but it's worth a try.
I have never been to an official competition (well, except a Swiss national championship, which was a good excuse to go and see Stéphane Lambiel win his last national title :laugh:) and I am determined to go to Helsinki in 2017.
I know it seems really early, but I'd like a word of advice regarding tickets, because the official website is already selling them and it looks like the all-event tickets for a lot of the good seats are already gone.
Is there anyone who has already seen a competition at the Hartwall Arena? Any suggestion about sectors and rows?
Thank you so much in advance!

(And BTW, I'm thinking a hostel or an apartment as my accomodation of choice. If someone's interested in sharing, we can talk about that at a later date!)

Hello ,
i was in helsinki for the worlds'99 ............ so long time !
i was sector 117 near the ice.price was around 400 eu with the exhibition.....
choose icelevel 1 or 2 because after , balcony are quickly high !
too far , you won't recognize jumps.
i was in a hostel in the center or helsinki , all the trains from the main trainstation stop to pasibolé , the first stop for them ,so no problem whit that in 1999 . might changed .

Fabien from france

grace75

Rinkside
Hello ,
i was in helsinki for the worlds'99 ............ so long time !
i was sector 117 near the ice.price was around 400 eu with the exhibition.....
choose icelevel 1 or 2 because after , balcony are quickly high !
too far , you won't recognize jumps.
i was in a hostel in the center or helsinki , all the trains from the main trainstation stop to pasibolé , the first stop for them ,so no problem whit that in 1999 . might changed .

Fabien from france

Thank you, Fabien! Would you recommend a more central sector (such as 119), but with only row 15 available or something like sector 120 (basically a twin for sector 117) but with row 12 still available?
I'm so uncertain! :scratch2:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Thank you, Fabien! Would you recommend a more central sector (such as 119), but with only row 15 available or something like sector 120 (basically a twin for sector 117) but with row 12 still available?
I'm so uncertain! :scratch2:

There already is a topic about Worlds 2017 in The Edge.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?58776-Info-2017-Worlds-in-Helsinki

Concerning tickets, you might also consider waiting to buy tickets and see what happens the next couple of weeks. I would think they will release more all-event ticket packages at some point, because they only released a small amount when they first went on sale. I am 99.9 % sure they never released any seats at all yet of, for instance, blocks 108, 109 and 119. I'm guessing they will hold some of those seats for VIPs and tour groups, but surely there'll be some for the 'normal' ticket buyers, too?

Also, some people placed an e-mail order for "premium" tickets, and because the confirmation about those seats only came the day *after* the normal ticket sales started, people bought those Ice Level 1 seats, too. So either people upgrade to premium tickets later this month (April 22 or so, IIRC) and their Ice Level tickets should become available again, or vice versa, they keep their Ice Level 1 seats, and the premium tickets should become available (maybe a waiting list?).