Tomoki Hiwatashi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tomoki Hiwatashi

deedee1

Record Breaker
Tomoki's SP at 2018 US Nationals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTr2WU2uWr0

Tomoki's FS at 2018 US Nationals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egb-BLRVrqw

Tomoki just blew me away at this year's US Nats! :yahoo: One of highlights for me for sure. Not only hitting a perfect 4T-3T out of nowhere and other jumps effortlessly, he's improved every aspects of his skating including presentation skills since I saw him last. Just WOW. Choreo sq, cantilever into Russian split in particular was to die for. :rock:

Many congrats to him for going to Junior Worlds again. Hope he'll get another medal there. :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^And how about that 3Lz 1/2Lo 3F?! Pretty amazing! His coaches looked pretty happy with his skate, as did he! The crowd seemed to really enjoy him.

Bookworm

Rinkside
I'm a little late to the love fest, but would like to add that I had the privilege of watching Tomoki's LP in San Jose and it was one of the highest highlights of the entire event. His jumps looked very solid, and he had great character and magnetism as a skater. I was sitting with a bunch of friends who have relatively moderate interest in figure skating (they came with me to San Jose as a favor to me), and everyone unanimously voted Tomoki and Starr Andrews as the breakthrough stars of the competition. I hope he continues on this upward trajectory and performs his best at Junior Worlds. I would love to see him really come into his own in the next quad.

deedee1

Record Breaker
^^^And how about that 3Lz 1/2Lo 3F?! Pretty amazing! His coaches looked pretty happy with his skate, as did he! The crowd seemed to really enjoy him.

YES! That was the first for me to see this combo, actually. :points: And with such crystal clear outside n inside edges, which probably is harder for ladies, I guess. AMAGING! :cool: Wanna see it by some ladies who can hit both jumps correctly, Maria Sotskova, Gabby Daleman or Yuna Shiraiwa maybe? :)

I hope he will be able to show more emotions during his performances. Tomoki reminds me of Nobunari Oda in junior days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLMYUpQ1vw While both have very good basics already, solid jumps and well-centred spins, are so good at hitting music with their whole body, but due to nervousness in competitions they'd tend to be slightly reserved in facial expressions and showing emotions. Yet to come but will in time as he matures, just like Nobu. :yes: He has a bright future ahead of him. Let's hope Tomoki will stay healthy, have a long competitive career and make us enjoy his performances. :):)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^His jumps looked really solid. He definitely needs to work on emoting, and sometimes with a tiny frame like his, you have to work a lot harder to skate big! But to me he definitely didn't look as junior-ish as last year. Hope he can avoid injuries. When I talked with him, he said he was battling a little bit of tendonitis. I also asked if he speaks Japanese fluently, and the answer was yes! :)

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
i really like him!! already liked him when he was with Alex but his program at nats was super cool! also i can't resist half loop triple flips :love:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tomoki is scheduled for next weekend's (Sept. 12-15) JGP event in Canada. Can't wait to see how he does! Good luck Tomoki!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Loved his programs last year.. cannot wait to see him skate this season !! Best of Luck!!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, I was there at JGP Richmond today... and Tomoki nailed his short program and now sits at number one! Congrats!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I already watched Tomoki's program several times! He looks great out there. He's improved quite a bit from last season, especially in the performance aspect.

Thanks for the live report Noxchild!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has a chance for the final :yahoo: Good luck to him in Ljubljana :agree:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally had time to watch Tomoki's SP. Didn't find any video for the FS, but hope it appears soon. That was quite a program! I couldn't believe my eyes -- spiral, Ina Bauer, mini hydroblade, biellman, good changes of speed, very solid jumps except for the little bobble on the axel. Wow! Congratulations on the silver medal. Hope he can make the final!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
While I badly wanted Tomoki to snatch that gold from a day of mostly lackluster performances, a silver medal isn't terrible either... and I hope that second place finish lights a fire under his and his team's seats and he makes it to the JGP Final... I'll be watching (... a stream)!

edit: nvm I got tickets

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched his FS. Very nice skate! Loved that cantilever/split jump/ 3S. He seems to be projecting so much more and skating bigger (even though he's a little guy!). A couple jumps didn't have much flow out, but I was still impressed! Nice 4T-3T. Please, please make it to the JGPF!