Tomoki Hiwatashi | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Tomoki Hiwatashi

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Updated prior to Nationals. The only video from Alpen Trophy is the victory ceremony.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Definitely agree on the split jump! That got an ooh out of the crowd.

livetoskate

On the Ice
Tomoki was so energetic and fun to watch. He reminds me of Nobunari Oda in his body-type and movement. He did very well today and I can't wait to see his free (and hopefully a quad or two?).

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a nice belated birthday gift!!! Pewter!!!! :hap93:

This is the best I have seen him skate all season and what a redemption from JGPF :rock: Congrats Tomoki :hap10:

Cool that he did a split jump before he took his bows (awards ceremony) :laugh:

US Nats FS https://youtu.be/XGFDapIMxUA
Commentary Weiss and White.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yay Tomoki! I'm so excited for you! That FS has been a journey and I'm glad you got it!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tomoki got 4CC!!! JW team to be named after camp but seriously he should get one of those spots as well!
Sources: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1089696436189577217
https://usfsa.org/story?id=92108&type=media

Congrats to Tomoki and good luck at 4CC :yahoo:

ETA: He is first alternate for Senior Worlds too!!!

Here's an article with some quotes from Tomoki:

“(The top three) have always been there, ever since I was juvenile,” Tomoki Hiwatashi, the 2016 U.S. junior champion who sat fourth after the short program in Detroit, said. “When I got first (place) in juvenile, Vincent got first in intermediate. Jason was already junior or senior, Nathan was novice first place.”

“They have always been ahead of me – more than a step or two, like 100 steps,” the 19-year-old added. “I’m just taking longer. I don’t think I should try too hard to catch up. Right now, I should let it go with the flow and catch up whenever I can.”

For Hiwatashi, who trains in Colorado Springs under Christy Krall and Damon Allen, consistency is the challenge. He won bronze at the 2016 World Junior Figure Skating Championships and qualified for the Junior Grand Prix Final in December, but placed sixth after popping his triple Axel in the short program.

“When I was young I got every jump every time, easy,” he said. “When I came up to junior, it became harder for me to skate consistent. I feel like it’s mental. I’ve grown up, I’ve gotten more mature but I’ve also gotten more sensitive about what others say, how others look at me.”

The skater thinks he may have overthought things at the Junior Grand Prix Final. So in Detroit, he played it close to the vest, holing up in his hotel room and listening to anime music.

“Before the Junior Grand Prix Final, I was trying to get my mind ready and get everything in the right place,” Hiwatashi said. “I feel like that kind of made it worse for me. Now I’m just going in, skating and sleeping.”

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...are-there-any-other-u-s-figure-skating-stars/

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awesome skate from Tomoki, complete with standing ovation! Congratulations on the pewter. So excited to hear he's going to 4CC!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Great skate and Congratulations Tomoki! Love his abandon, fight ad spirit..

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congrats to Tomoki for TWO fabulous skates and getting the Pewter medal at the US Nats! :yahoo::yahoo:
Two years in a row his performances at the Nats are one of the hilights for my hubby and me. :rock:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^Thanks for posting RR!! I watched it last night too. Gawd he really sells it!! My favorite performance of the night!! I even like the song .. alot... mostly because of Tomoki's skate!!