2016 World Championships Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies SP

amc987

On the Ice
So is this the order of the morning practice session, the afternoon short program, or both? Am I reading right that Wagner will be in the practice group that goes at 9:50, and Gold in the group that goes at 10:30? They're the two that my kids really want to watch.

That's the short program start order. I don't know whether it has any bearing on morning practice groups.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Park needs a clean SP if she wants to be in top 10. Being in group 5, she's probably gonna get a lowballed PCS as always...... Meanwhile, Evgenia is in such a good position, but I have a feeling Pogo is going to bomb her SP due to her being last. It's sad to see Mao in group 6, and I hope her placement doesn't bring her PCS down since she probably has the best PCS in ladies right now.

amc987

On the Ice
Park needs a clean SP if she wants to be in top 10. Being in group 5, she's probably gonna get a lowballed PCS as always...... Meanwhile, Evgenia is in such a good position, but I have a feeling Pogo is going to bomb her SP due to her being last. It's sad to see Mao in group 6, and I hope her placement doesn't bring her PCS down since she probably has the best PCS in ladies right now.

I thought the last 2 groups were the seeded groups such that any of the top skaters could end up there. Doesn't that usually account for PCS differences? Like, if Medvedeva had been in group 6 (as she could've based on my understanding), it's not like the judges would lowball her.

ETA: Or am I wrong and the last group is just the skaters with the highest ISU rankings?

Crazy27

Rinkside
I hope Medvedeva will fight records mao and yuna, for a place in history.
And also i hope that Miyahara will not be on the podium. She has a terrible jumps and presentation.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I hope Medvedeva will fight records mao and yuna, for a place in history.
And also i hope that Miyahara will not be on the podium. She has a terrible jumps and presentation.

That's an awfully direct statement. Also, how does Miyahara have terrible presentation? :confused:

Last edited:

eyeshrift

Rinkside
The scores are terribly inflated now that I actually fear medvedeva will be on par with records mao and yuna. Yes, she's in her best shape this season and has the top performances among ladies, but that still can't beat mao and yuna in their prime IMO probably lacking the maturity and personality, maybe even the artistry for yuna's sake.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I hope Gracie puts the blinders on and only focuses on herself and her program. I could see her getting spooked by the Russians + Miyahara in the last group.

We'll know as soon as we see her eyebrows. Bad eyebrows=bad skate for Gracie.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I don't have a dream podium yet but I have a dream top 2, which are Mao and Ashley! Ma~o bist du schoen~ and hip hip chin chin ftw!!!!

andyjo24

Medalist
Ahhh. I'm on way to Boston right now from NYC, and I am so dann nervous. So many butterflies in my stomach...

I hope the ladies just do what they are capable of to the best of their ability. I hope they do better than the men yesterday. Ugh.

ioanna

Record Breaker

:laugh: you can criticize her jumps all you want but she has the best "presentation" in the field, after Mao. That includes skating skills, music comprehension and interpretation, smooth multidirectional step sequences, fast, centered spins with beautiful positions and the only skater to spin both ways. The complete package as far as "presentation" goes.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Good luck Lenok, Zhenia, Ash, Mirai, Zijun, Anjelina, Mao, Rika, Alaine, Anastasia etc etc :hap10::hap10:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Thoughts, mini preview

I was thinking and I wanted to let you be a part of my thoughts. :laugh: No hating please, you know I love them all. ;)

For me, there is a big favorite and she is coming from Russia, Evgenia Medvedeva. In my opinion, her package is amazing and she brings the technical elements, but also selling potential and choreography perfectly together and if she goes clean, then I don´t see who could beat her in short and free. This lady creates something very special while on the ice, a figure skating fan has to love it, it´s just art if you ask me.

That being said, there is always something magical about Americans on home soil, do you remember Sarah Hughes? Nobody thought she could win, it was all about Slutskaya and Kwan, maybe Sasha but then out of nowhere she did. While the pressure will be super high, I do believe in Gracie and Ashley, they are great women on the ice, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is on the podium after the short and if Evgenia might struggle with her nerves like at Rostelecom or the growth impacts her easy and flawless skating then who knows, Gracie might take her chance, just like Sarah once and win that thing after two days. I would be so happy for her, after all the trash that people throw at her.

Of course, there are two more Russian ladies competing for the medals and we all know that Elena has beaten her fellow country woman before and the Titanic program is perfect for such an occasion if she can stay close in the short.

She doesn´t invent the wheel like Evgenia does with her extraordinary arrangements, but that Free to Titanic and the romance in the short will give her a lot of sympathy. The American crowd will love it and while the ship never came to Boston, there was a victim on the Titanic, with the name "Boston", so plenty of sympathy for her Drama and love story should be there.
If she can stay within the top three, she might be able to take advantage of minor mistakes by the other two skaters, while the people in the stands lift her to gold. The young Russian is a very emotional person, it can help her if the crowd is up for it and supports her.

That being said, I hope that everyone will go clean and that the scores will be fair and tight, as with Anna Pogorilaya. She could play the role of Sotnikova, nobody seems to count on her, she is a bit a drama queen people might think, hard to control her nerves, but the same, people thought about Adelina until the Olympics and then she nailed two super programs. Don´t write her off, she is a competitor and will not pass if offered a chance.

Last but not least, I know our Japanese fans are already preparing the fire to "burn the witch --> me"... But no, of course I did not forget Mao and the other two. Mao is a legend, she has won almost everything, is a multi millionaire and has the most experience and nothing to lose.

The triple Axel is a big element, but she really needs to go clean, her reputation and amazing maturity will give her some extra points, but for me the podium will be really hard, the Free is not as solid as of other skaters I think, but she could very well be within the top three after the short or even lead, going into the Free.

Who has a superb Free is Rika and her Riverdance. It is a phenomenal program, but for some reason she lost with it at China and this was a perfect program, so how is she supposed to win worlds if perfect wasn't enough back then? Just like Pogo, she isn´t loved by the judges, sadly. To qualify for the final group, would be very important to keep her chance for a medal, but it will be very hard.

As for Satoko, there is a lot of hate going on about her jumps and rotations, which I find really sad. Yes, she does not have the huge attack of Tyler Pierce or the strong signature of Gracie or the maturity of the others here, but her skating quality is huge. Very good edge work and knee´s, she is very confident and If you allow me that expression "kisses the ice with her blades" and has that "spin in opposite directions", that no other skater has.
For me, she really sells her programs well, she has a very light and effortless style and without knowing it, I believe that a little bit of Mao is with her on the ice.
She won the 4 Continents and is the strongest Japanese for me, but also very young and Worlds are the biggest event you can skate at, after the Olympics. She will present her programs different than others, but not less good if you ask me.

Personally, I hope that Alaine can skate clean, I still feel that her Pia short is amazing and of course I wish all my kids, a healthy and stable blade tonight. Niki, Lani and Nathalie, but if I could I would have adopted them all. :laugh: Dasa will surely blow me away too, she is such an amazing woman, no kid can achieve her maturity - what a lady!

Anyways before I fall on my knees and ask Dasa if she wants to marry me back to the actual skating today.

So yes, as for the short, if we see clean programs then I expect the top three skaters to be within 2-3 points of each other and the 6th to be no further away than 5 or six. The quality is huge this year, for me bigger than last.

I would love to see peace and harmony after the short, but I am sure the pitchforks are already prepared aren't they? :drama:

After the short, I will be back and you can hunt me down for what I just said. :devil:

Last edited: