On Site Reports @ Worlds 2016 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports @ Worlds 2016

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Propably Hanyu is stealing all the quad sal power at TCC right now from everyone :laugh:

Sounds more like Max is the one stealing the quad sal power. Reports on twitter that he landed pretty well everything, least struggles with his jumps.

Apparently he and Javi had the near miss, Javier fell, they hugged, got on with it.

Why Hanyu/Fernandez fans frustrate me: this was the literal report one of them put on twitter: "Javi and other skater almost collided". Come on! That "other skater" is a freaking US National Champion (should be twice!) and won Skate America this season. I know it might shock them to realise there are skaters other than Fernandez and Hanyu, but that's just disrespectful!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sounds more like Max is the one stealing the quad sal power. Reports on twitter that he landed pretty well everything, least struggles with his jumps.
Apparently he and Javi had the near miss, Javier fell, they hugged, got on with it.
Why Hanyu/Fernandez fans frustrate me: this was the literal report one of them put on twitter: "Javi and other skater almost collided". Come on! That "other skater" is a freaking US National Champion (should be twice!) and won Skate America this season. I know it might shock them to realise there are skaters other than Fernandez and Hanyu, but that's just disrespectful!
Dear, your logic is very flawed and very unfair.

So you're saying because some people don't know your favorite' names or they don't remember their names, they're disrespectful?

Dear, many people call Yuzuru "the Japanese kid" or "the boy who's so thin that he turns around he disappears". And it's not disrespectful at all. They don't remember his name, that's not their fault and not their responsibilities to remember.

There is nothing wrong with people don't know someone even if that someone happens to be someone or not.

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
geez, karne, take a chill pill. This world championship is barely a few hours old and you're already getting all bent out of shape. I doubt this is good for your blood pressure.

And I say this with all due respect. I thought I should mention this, in case I count as one of those frustrating Hanyu/Fernandez fans.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
@karne, there are over 100 skaters at Worlds. Let me know if you remember every name/face by heart. This isn't an exam, let people enjoy their time there. If this is how regular fans are going to be treated, I can see why people leave the sport. :noshake:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne, are you at the arena? How's Brendan doing?

No, I'm still in New York :) It is raining here so I am putting off leaving my hotel room just yet.

So you're saying because some people don't know your favorite' names or they don't remember their names, they're disrespectful?

Dear many people call Yuzuru "the Japanese kid" or "the boy who's so thin that he turns around he disappears". And it's not disrespectful at all. They don't remember his name, that's not their fault and not their responsibilities.

There is nothing wrong with people don't know someone even if that someone happens to be someone or not.

It is disrespectful. It's not like we're talking about the North Korean skaters that only appear at one or two competitions a year. We're talking about the top of the charts, Grand Prix winners, National Champions, previous Worlds/Four Continents contenders.

I bet the Hanyu/Fernandez fans would have had an absolute fit if I had said "Max nearly collided with some other skater". They should show the same courtesy in return. Max isn't a nobody. And it's not that hard to at least put a name to a face in a warmup group of six!

Meoima

Match Penalty
It is disrespectful. It's not like we're talking about the North Korean skaters that only appear at one or two competitions a year. We're talking about the top of the charts, Grand Prix winners, National Champions, previous Worlds/Four Continents contenders.
I bet the Hanyu/Fernandez fans would have had an absolute fit if I had said "Max nearly collided with some other skater". They should show the same courtesy in return. Max isn't a nobody. And it's not that hard to at least put a name to a face in a warmup group of six!
Sorry but what you're talking is nonsense. So you require that all the fans coming to the WC must know the name of every skater on ice? Even if they're top skaters there're chances even fans don't follow them and don't remember their faces.

I don't follow ice dance much so I only know 3-4 teams. So when I mention like "The Shibs almost collided with another team" it's disrespectful because I don't know the other team? And why must I know?

You're putting foot into people's mouth. Yuzuru's fans don't find it offensive when casual viewers call him the Japanese kid or the super thin guy, then why you expect us to get angry it some US fans don't even know who Yuzuru is? Why is it disrespectful? Sorry but you're requiring people something unfair.

Remember not all people coming to the competitions are fan of all skaters. Some come there just because they happen to get the invitation. That's it.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let's keep this thread for on-site reports as much as possible. If you have something personal to discuss, you can use the PM.

Thanks so much!

Shoma took a nap on the ice after his first fall. -Usual shoma.

Eclair

Medalist

Also, without the costume, hair-do, makeup, music sometimes I don't even recognize skaters I know until they come to an halt and I have a better look at them ...

There've been plenty of times, when I watched a practice on a fan cam and I was constantly thinking: WHO is that??

I second Pamigena to go easy on your blood pressure and just enjoy the whole event. It'll be so much better this way ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I second Pamigena to go easy on your blood pressure and just enjoy the whole event. It'll be so much better this way ;)

That would be easier if Brendan wasn't completely invisible because he has the misfortune to share the ice with Hanyu in practice.

andyjo24

Medalist
No, I'm still in New York :) It is raining here so I am putting off leaving my hotel room just yet.

I'm also in New York but in the office.

Why is it taking forever for Thursday to come! :sad21:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
you can share with us the minutiae of Brendan's practice and we'll be grateful. -you will see the practice right? :thumbsup:

Yes, I should arrive in time for the men's evening practice.