On Site Reports @ Worlds 2016 | Page 34 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports @ Worlds 2016

Victura

On the Ice
I was going through my photos from Worlds and thought I should do something with them instead of letting them sit and take up space on my hard drive. Since I didn't want to overwhelm myself (or anyone else) by dumping them all somewhere, decided to start an instagram account and post one or two each day.

If anyone is interested, they are at http://www.instagram.com/patinartphoto :)

I'll try to mix it up and post different skaters, disciplines, and hopefully will be able to attend future events to keep it going.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was going through my photos from Worlds and thought I should do something with them instead of letting them sit and take up space on my hard drive. Since I didn't want to overwhelm myself (or anyone else) by dumping them all somewhere, decided to start an instagram account and post one or two each day.

I'll try to mix it up and post different skaters, disciplines, and hopefully will be able to attend future events to keep it going.

Really nice photos, love the one of Adam!!! :love:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
This is a fantastic thread. I've enjoyed reading each post.
I volunteered for this event: did four six hour shifts noon to 6 pm, two at the official hotel Marriott Copley, two at the TD Garden for Information/Transportation. SO many sightings of my favorite skaters from all over the world - Rika, Sotoko, Yuzaru, Boyang (he's tiny!), Javier, Patrick, Grant, Alayne, many others I recognized but couldn't name - but no other contact - volunteers were not allowed to approach, speak to skaters (idea being that they should feel safe/comfortable and we were there to assure their ease). That said, there were one or two memorable moments for me...
1). Max Aaron is SO handsome! Much more in person than on TV... A real presence. Black hair, dark eyes and ruddy hi color complexion.. He caught my eye and nodded with a small smile as he passed my table in the hotel alcove.
2). Watched Ashley practice about noon the day of ladies free skate .. Emotional. Gracie was skating too in full costume and looked beautiful
3). Madison & Evan came thru the revolving door headed for the escalator at the hotel. He was looking in the opposite direction but she glanced over at me and I smiled at her like this:biggrin: she gave me an even bigger smile ... Gorgeous!!!
4). Finally a rather funny moment at the TD Garden... We were all handing out starting order sheets as fast as we could... A big burly guy size of a football player came up to me.. He had dark curly hair and was wearing a headband with Winnie-the-Pooh ears. As I handed him his sheet I said, "You wouldn't be a Yuzaru Hanyu fan by any chance?" Without skipping a beat he said: "Drat!!! And I thought I was incognito!!"
Last, but not least, I had the pleasure of meeting Coyote Chris of GS fame at the TD Garden... It was wonderful to see him!!
This was a fun and thoroughly memorable experience.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some impressions of my time in Boston:

Enjoyed spotting many skaters in the audience and walking around inside and out of the TD Garden. On my first day there, the first skaters I saw were Meagan & Eric leaving the arena with Michael and Kirsten. I also saw Paul Wylie behind me in my section in the balcony talking on his cell phone that evening during the men's short program. Fun to see Kurt Browning, Chase Belmontes, Hubbell and Donohue, Gilles and Poirier and Tarah Kayne during my wanderings around the loge hallways.

Also saw the Shibs at the IN desk along with Charlie and Tanith, Michael Buckley, Michael Weiss and John Coughlin at various points during the event.

I also got to meet Patrick of Patrick Commentates Skating and got my "Red Lipstick for Ashley" button from him, lol. And I posted this in the Misha Ge thread, but I wound up meeting Jackie Wong of Rockerskating when I got back to NYC and he was on the subway platform with me (turns out he lives a few blocks away). He told me he was exhausted and never wanted to hear "Feeling Good" again, lol.

I also enjoyed meeting GSers including Coyote Chris, Mrs. P, Karne, Princessroja, TheGrandSophy, babyskate and many more. Nice to put faces with the names I've seen on this forum for the past couple of years. It was fun to message the group on Slack during the competitions too.

Really glad I got to attend the last hour of the Ladies practice on Saturday - saw Mirai, Ashley and Gracie sign many autographs and take selfies with fans which was cute to see.

Enjoyed my seat in the balcony circle, even though I was high up, got to see all the skaters come out from backstage, had an excellent view of the KnC and even the top of the "green room" which looked really claustrophobic to me.

Most of all, enjoyed being there in person with the great audience in Boston who not only cheered for the US skaters but seemed to be there to cheer on everyone, especially if they had a great skate. The atmosphere in the TD Garden was amazing and most of all during the ladies free skate, when it was packed with people. Made me feel good to be a skating fan.

I am so glad I went and will be talking about it for a while. Wish I could go next year to Helsinki but I think the cost will be prohibitive. Still planning to attend Skate Canada in October (yay exchange rate) so I'm officially bitten by the live competition bug!

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Your photos are beautiful!

icekiwi

On the Ice
Recently did a blog about my experience attending Worlds on the final day of competition. This is about the ladies FS practice the morning of the long program and it includes video I shot of the some of the jumping passes. I almost have part 2 finished (pairs LP review) done so I will try to have that up tomorrow. Part 3 will be a review of ladies FS. Haven't blogged about skating in so long; it was so nice to write again!

https://gymntalk.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/my-worlds2016-part-i/

Hi LKR,

Please keep writing your reports about world's. I have really enjoyed reading your report on the pairs, I am a big fan of Sui/Han, so glad you said such wonderful things about them. I am one of those fans who are not fortunate enough to attend so have to rely on fans like yourself who took the time to write. I am so.......looking forward to your report on the men's. Thank you in advance.