Figure Skating Anime | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Anime

Shandy

On the Ice
I'm late to the party, but I was re-watching the men's LP from Brisbane and I noticed that James Min's costume bears a striking similarity to Yuri's 'Eros' costume. Not only is the arrangement of the sparkly bits familiar, but take a look at the mesh right arm and side, the crisscrossing solid stripes through the mesh just above the waist, and that angular mesh notch right under the collar. I think he might be a fan! :luv17:

Tulipstar

Medalist
I'm late to the party, but I was re-watching the men's LP from Brisbane and I noticed that James Min's costume bears a striking similarity to Yuri's 'Eros' costume. Not only is the arrangement of the sparkly bits familiar, but take a look at the mesh right arm and side, the crisscrossing solid stripes through the mesh just above the waist, and that angular mesh notch right under the collar. I think he might be a fan! :luv17:

It does look very similar! Very cool looking too. Will not add it to the list though, as we're not sure it is Yuri on Ice inspired:)

And as we talked about in the Cup of Austria thread, Moa Iwano has a Makkachin of her own.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I didn't think it bore that close a resemblance, but I was too busy getting irritated by all the "look! it's Yuuri!" in the live chat. HE'S NOT AN ANIME CHARACTER HE'S REAL AND HAS PUT REAL WORK INTO HIS SPORT STOP CALLING HIM THAT.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I didn't think it bore that close a resemblance, but I was too busy getting irritated by all the "look! it's Yuuri!" in the live chat. HE'S NOT AN ANIME CHARACTER HE'S REAL AND HAS PUT REAL WORK INTO HIS SPORT STOP CALLING HIM THAT.

Well, that's the live chat for you. I turned it off yesterday, because people said much nastier things than that about the young skaters participating in the JGP and each other's countries. Some were even being hateful about 'Yuna Kim vs Mao Asada', even though they had nothing to do with that competition.

However, nobody in this thread said that James Min 'is' Yuuri, so no need for the ALL CAPS here.

iorii

On the Ice
I lurked around the forum and read 60+ pages of this thread until 2016-2017 season finished and decided to sign up because of this thread--while completely forgetting to post here (I first posted at Shoma's thread to express my admiration for his Buenos Aires Hora Cero program).

Late but--hello!! Before YOI I only knew Yuna and Yuzuru. After YOI I kinda researched everything and consume FS news daily now. Japanese fanartists I follow on Twitter have been attending some ice shows. The anime has definitely livened up the sport. I don't watch a lot of anime but I watched YOI at first place because 'oh, about figure skating? That's really interesting!'

Back then after the show ended airing, I was curious of what figure skating fans think of the anime. I was scared that FS fans would be--dismissive. Because I started from YOI, I would be 'lesser of a fan.' YOI fans who compare the characters to real life skaters and make unrelated YOI comments at many FS videos don't help either. I was relieved to know that GS members are kind!

Short video Kubo took when Lambiel was recording his lines for episode 12:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPXcbKHQHNw

Sayo is very proud of this video, I forgot what she said exactly, but she wants to show how adorable Lambiel is to as many people as possible. She has a personal folder consisting Lambiel's photos only which she gave to the animators. 'When drawing Victor, use this if any of you needs more references.'

Lambiel is very cute indeed--I don't know how many times I have watched ep 12 and I always, always, couldn't help but giggle at Lambiel's lines. Sayo succeeded at parading Lambiel around.

anyanka

Record Breaker
You guys! I only got into Yuri on Ice recently and OMG I'M OBSESSED WITH IT. They got just about all the details right, it's clearly about people who love the sport, and for people like us who love it.

Please, please let there be a movie or a sequel. It needs to be about Yuri K. and Viktor and their time in Russia. If the IOC grants the rights to have their image used, then it should be Yuri K. vs. Yuri. P. at the Olympics, Viktor coaches both, possibly competes himself, and is emotionally torn. IMAGINE THE DRAMA [passes out from excitement]

:clap:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You guys! I only got into Yuri on Ice recently and OMG I'M OBSESSED WITH IT. They got just about all the details right, it's clearly about people who love the sport, and for people like us who love it.

Please, please let there be a movie or a sequel. It needs to be about Yuri K. and Viktor and their time in Russia. If the IOC grants the rights to have their image used, then it should be Yuri K. vs. Yuri. P. at the Olympics, Viktor coaches both, possibly competes himself, and is emotionally torn. IMAGINE THE DRAMA [passes out from excitement]

:clap:

They should totally cash in and do Yuri going to the Olympics. I wouldn't mind to have Yuri meet Yuna, Yulia (hope she comments), a la Lambiel moment. May be even a Pooh bear or Seimei costume appearance? We must also have those spring onion mascots moment? They were the best vegetable appearance since Mishin holds his power of broccoli!!

I was a fan of anime before a fan of Yuri, but has not followed a series in a long time, glad I did it. How funny today's men made those crazy phantasy quad jump combinations seems like it was nothing. Life is stranger than fiction.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I missed it, too. I love Yuri on Ice SO MUCH, but I got into skating first somehow? unlike a lot of YOI fans...
Vikturri for the win!!

andromache

Record Breaker
On Black Friday I went to Hot Topic and bought a Yuri on Ice t-shirt without ever having watched an episode of it. (They also had a Yuri on Ice Body pillow that I kind of want :drama:.)

Even though I don't really watch the show, there are just so few things out there that have anything to do with figure skating, so when I see stuff I feel like I have to have it.

But I have now watched the first episode! Since there's so few episodes and they're all so short, I'll take my time with it. Even though I keep nitpicking at stuff that is unrealistic :laugh:.

notunprepared

On the Ice
On Black Friday I went to Hot Topic and bought a Yuri on Ice t-shirt without ever having watched an episode of it. (They also had a Yuri on Ice Body pillow that I kind of want :drama:.)

Even though I don't really watch the show, there are just so few things out there that have anything to do with figure skating, so when I see stuff I feel like I have to have it.

But I have now watched the first episode! Since there's so few episodes and they're all so short, I'll take my time with it. Even though I keep nitpicking at stuff that is unrealistic :laugh:.

Please share all your nitpicks! I got into skating through yoi so I'm low key still seeing the real life competitions through rose coloured glasses.

What's unrealistic in the first episode? Other than Victor up and leaving Russia with no notice to go live in Japan.

andromache

Record Breaker
Please share all your nitpicks! I got into skating through yoi so I'm low key still seeing the real life competitions through rose coloured glasses.

What's unrealistic in the first episode? Other than Victor up and leaving Russia with no notice to go live in Japan.

My biggest nitpick with episode 1 was OMG YURI YOU MADE IT TO GPF FOR FIRST TIME IN YOUR CAREER, THAT IS AWESOME, EVEN THOUGH YOU CAME IN LAST YOU STILL HAD TO WIN BIG THINGS TO EVEN GET THERE, LIFE ISN'T THAT BAD.

Also I was confused about who won the GPF in episode 1? Viktor or Russian Yuri? But Russian Yuri just moved up to seniors, right? I know Viktor went on to win Worlds, so it would make sense if he won GPF, too. I just couldn't tell what was going on. (If you can enlighten me, awesome.)

Also, Russian Yuri being SO GOOD at 15 years old is laughable (in a fun way). The youngest man at the real-life JGPF happening right now is 16, and if he moves up to seniors next year, he will NOT be a favorite for anything. 15 year old male skaters are awkward, usually with fairly lackluster skating skills and bad spins.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
My biggest nitpick with episode 1 was OMG YURI YOU MADE IT TO GPF FOR FIRST TIME IN YOUR CAREER, THAT IS AWESOME, EVEN THOUGH YOU CAME IN LAST YOU STILL HAD TO WIN BIG THINGS TO EVEN GET THERE, LIFE ISN'T THAT BAD.

Also I was confused about who won the GPF in episode 1? Viktor or Russian Yuri? But Russian Yuri just moved up to seniors, right? I know Viktor went on to win Worlds, so it would make sense if he won GPF, too. I just couldn't tell what was going on. (If you can enlighten me, awesome.)

Also, Russian Yuri being SO GOOD at 15 years old is laughable (in a fun way). The youngest man at the real-life JGPF happening right now is 16, and if he moves up to seniors next year, he will NOT be a favorite for anything. 15 year old male skaters are awkward, usually with fairly lackluster skating skills and bad spins.

Victor won GPF, Yuri P won JGPF. It was a little confusing since things move fast in the anime, there's a lot to pack in. (Yuri P moves up in the next season, after Worlds.)
Also, it might be better to step back and let them fudge the details... if you look too closely there are quite a few things that shouldn't be possible ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
Victor won GPF, Yuri P won JGPF. It was a little confusing since things move fast in the anime, there's a lot to pack in. (Yuri P moves up in the next season, after Worlds.)
Also, it might be better to step back and let them fudge the details... if you look too closely there are quite a few things that shouldn't be possible ;)

Oh I know. I hate being "that person" who questions and nitpicks everything...but when it comes to figure skating I can't really help it!

And thank you for explaining. I haven't watched anime in years so the pacing is definitely throwing me off!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Oh goodness I LOVE YURI ON ICE. I'm so glad that figure skating fans have taken to it as well. In uncertain times, it's nice to have some comfort viewing. :clap:

notunprepared

On the Ice

the poor guy has some pretty bad anxiety problems. If I were in his shoes I'd probably have a similar reaction - I once had a depressive episode last a year because I had bad internship experience (though in hindsight it wasn't that terrible and I was overreacting. Anxiety disorders will do that to you). Yuuri's anxiety is portrayed really well.

Maybe Yuri is so good partly because he hasn't hit puberty properly yet? So he hasn't hit that awkward stages.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Russian Yuri won the Junior Grand Prix Final, and Viktor the Senior one :)

As for Yuri K, well he's got terrible anxiety and is a perfectionist, I think we're meant to look at him and shake our heads at how hard he is on himself!

Also, I suppose it's not really comparable since the jump content is harder but as a die-hard Plushy fan I have to say he won Junior Worlds at 14 and came third at Senior Worlds at 15, so Russian Yuri didn't seem that unbelievable to me ;)