29th Practice incident discussion | Golden Skate

29th Practice incident discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Some excitement at men's SP practice this morning:

Per Jackie Wong, "Tense SP runthru for Yuzuru Hanyu, barked at Ten for blocking his path to 3A, fell & punched the boards."

Didn't Ten get in Hanyu's way yesterday during a runthru? Or was that someone else?

I guess Yuzu wasn't kidding when he said he wants "revenge" for losing last year's Worlds.

andyjo24

Medalist

Per Jackie Wong, "Tense SP runthru for Yuzuru Hanyu, barked at Ten for blocking his path to 3A, fell & punched the boards."

Didn't Ten get in Hanyu's way yesterday during a runthru? Or was that someone else?

I guess Yuzu wasn't kidding when he said he wants "revenge" for losing last year's Worlds.

Regardless of whether Yuzu wants "revenge" or not, it was disrespectful of him to bark at Denis like that. I'm pretty sure Denis wasn't blocking on purpose...

burntBREAD

Medalist
Regardless of whether Yuzu wants "revenge" or not, it was disrespectful of him to bark at Denis like that. I'm pretty sure Denis wasn't blocking on purpose...

But the person who's music is playing (which was Hanyu's) gets right of way. You should not be in the way of someone running through a program. I'd bark at someone in my way, just as a way to alert them to get out of the way..
And I doubt this is anything to do with revenge lol -- "bark" can also mean shouting "HEY" or something loudly to get someone's attention.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yes, Ten got in Hanyu's way twice yesterday evening during Hanyu's SP runthru.

No, it absolutely wasn't, he had every right to bark at him. This is the third time Ten has cut him off in two days. Ten's not a little kid, he knows the rules of a practice session, he knows that the skater in the music has absolute right of way. Ten was the disrespectful one for not following established etiquettes and cutting Hanyu off.

And when it's happened three times in two sessions, I'm less inclined to believe it was an accident.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
And when it's happened three times in two sessions, I'm less inclined to believe it was an accident.

I don't want to believe Denis could have done that deliberately, but three times.... in two days ? Hmm

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't want to believe Denis could have done that deliberately, but three times.... in two days ? Hmm

It could simply be a lack of concentration. Though I did see in the video from yesterday that he got in Yuzu's way, I don't think it was deliberate.

And on Yuzu's side, if Denis kept getting in his way, the stress of being about to jump but having to re-rout finally got to him. -We won't know exactly what happened until we see the video.

-Hopefully they were able to talk it out afterwards. They are both good people.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

With how injured Denis has been this season, I doubt he would risk another one on purpose. It's been repetitive, so I suppose that's where Yuzuru's frustration came from. But I think it has honestly been by accident.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jackie did not get the video of the incident because he was startled by Hanyu's "bark".

I don't believe revenge was in anybody's mind at that moment. Hanyu was probably so startled himself, going backward to do a 3A and finding himself in an imminent accident. It was more likely a panic yell for Denis to get out of the way. Still, Hanyu ended up falling into the board.

It was completely Denis' responsibility to get out of Yuzuru's way but I don't believe Denis, a mature thoughtful young man, blocked Yuzuru deliberately. If nothing else, an accident would cost him dearly too. It was more likely that D10 has been quite tense himself and not attentive enough to the surrounding.

Let's hope there is no more dangerous drama and everybody gets to skate the competition in good health.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
There's immense pressure on the skaters. Hope Hanyu doesn't let it get to him tonight, and may he have a great skate.

Ten, as well!

Scovies

Final Flight
Three times in two days is ridiculous and dangerous -- Yuzu knows better than anyone after that awful crash at COC last season. I don't blame him for being sensitive. They may have all been accidental, but it's really unprofessional of Denis to not pay more attention, especially after the first near-miss.

chloepoco

Medalist

After that serious crash Yuzuru had last year, who can blame him for "barking" at someone in his path?! No one wants to see another accident like that happen!

begin

Medalist
According to Jackie:

During Hanyu's SP runthru, he yelled out because Ten was unintentionally doing a spin on Hanyu's setup to the triple axel. Hanyu went around him but fell on the triple axel, probably lost his concentration. No one crashed into anyone.

Denis was mid-spin so it's not like he could've seen him coming and gotten out of the way. I don't think Yuzu actually barked at Ten.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Just a linguistic point, but 'revenge' as Japanese use it in sports (Yuzu was speaking in English for this interview) is revenge against one's own failings rather than directed at a person or thing.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Just a linguistic point, but 'revenge' as Japanese use it in sports (Yuzu was speaking in English for this interview) is revenge against one's own failings rather than directed at a person or thing.

interesting, thank you... i love nuance like this. I wonder if vindication would be a better translation from Japanese? I suddenly wish English had a better word for what you describe.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
interesting, thank you... i love nuance like this. I wonder if vindication would be a better translation from Japanese? I suddenly wish English had a better word for what you describe.

Yes, it would be better, but Japanese actually use the English word 'Revenge' to describe it instead, which comes across as very outwardly aggressive when the real meaning is vindication, as you said.

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Yes, it would be better, but Japanese actually use the English word 'Revenge' to describe it instead, which comes across as very outwardly aggressive when the real meaning is vindication, as you said.
loads of opportunities for cross-cultural misunderstanding. :(

dia

Rinkside
I didn't mean Denis - I meant Yuzuru - for apparently punching the boards (per practice reports).

After the accident with Han last season he was right to get mad. During one's run-through that skater has priority, while the others have to watch out. It's a very easy "rule", don't you think so?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yes, Ten got in Hanyu's way twice yesterday evening during Hanyu's SP runthru.

No, it absolutely wasn't, he had every right to bark at him. This is the third time Ten has cut him off in two days. Ten's not a little kid, he knows the rules of a practice session, he knows that the skater in the music has absolute right of way. Ten was the disrespectful one for not following established etiquettes and cutting Hanyu off.

Looks like Japan Federation thinks alike, they are considering asking for a warning for Ten.
http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2016/3/31/2016-worlds-practice-notes-day-4-a-note-on-hanyu-ten

Status
Not open for further replies.