29th Practice incident discussion | Page 3 | Golden Skate

29th Practice incident discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
ye, I agree. 6 guys especially in group like we had yesterday is too much. They all skate faster and big, and jump big quads

How would a solution look like? Reducing the warmup group to 4 and resurfacing the ice after every three instead of two groups would add another six minutes for every three groups. Should be doable, and the skaters get shorter delays between warmup and the programs. Don't know though if the competition would get more "jagged" for the audience ... :think:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there is too much unreliable media involved in this incident and the facts are being blurred.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How would a solution look like? Reducing the warmup group to 4 and resurfacing the ice after every three instead of two groups would add another six minutes for every three groups. Should be doable, and the skaters get shorter delays between warmup and the programs. Don't know though if the competition would get more "jagged" for the audience ... :think:
Warm up groups and practices are different events. Practices involve skaters doing full programs. Warm ups are just a few minutes before an actual event to warm up the skaters. During warm ups no one has a right of way and all skaters need to be mindful of each other.

I think maybe the practice times could be reduced and with it...the number of skaters allowed on the ice. Just my take.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of Yuzuru and I understand his feelings, certainly I don't think it's ideal to say something like that to the press because we now how the press likes to milk everything. I definitely think we shouldn't accuse Denis of such a thing if there are no evidences, he is a classy man. Let's not point the finger at neither of them.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Warm up groups and practices are different events. Practices involve skaters doing full programs. Warm ups are just a few minutes before an actual event to warm up the skaters. During warm ups no one has a right of way and all skaters need to be mindful of each other.

I think maybe the practice times could be reduced and with it...the number of skaters allowed on the ice. Just my take.

This is of course correct, but I had the COC incident in mind, which was the worst incident of that kind. It happened in warmup and had the most significant effect on the performances so far. Don't know how much the experience influenced Yuzuru's reaction to Denis. It does not really matter if someone has the right of way, collisions can always happen and the only solution I see to lower the risk is to reduce the number of skaters.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2016/03/31/169878518
"I honestly didn't notice it until someone was screaming at my back every time he was passing by," Ten said. "I don't think there was an issue; we didn't hit each other. I always train with a lot of people on the ice. Maybe he is not used to a lot of people. It's practice: There are six people on the ice, and sometimes we get too close to each other."
"Frank is a very conservative person. If it happens in El Segundo (where Carroll trains Ten and U.S. champion Gracie Gold at the Toyota Sports Center), he will not let a skater keep skating," Ten said. "Behavior is very important."

Ten just lost all my respect, his answer interview make me angry than what he did. He play innocent and blame Yuzu back, dont even apology. While Yuzu after that feel regret for his lost temper

Wow, that's a terrible answer from Denis. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH how many people you train with! It is BASIC ETIQUETTE. Person who has the music playing has RIGHT OF WAY. It is so down even to the smallest club rink. He should know that. I just lost a ton of respect for him.

Yes, there were other close shaves. Max and Javier had a near-collision (though neither was in music) on day one. What did they do? Javier fell, Max turned back and apologised, they hugged, and got on with their sessions. Done, dusted. Shoma and Yuzuru had a near miss on the Tuesday night session when Hanyu fell and slid across Shoma's path. They nodded to each other and moved on. Max had a near shave when Adam went flying by in program while he was winding up for a quad: Max flattened himself against the wall in a quite ungainly position, let Adam go by without a flinch, and circled around to start his quad setup again.

Brendan, the "least experienced" championship skater in Yuzuru and Denis' practice group, had pretty well no near misses, was able to stay well out of the way of everyone in music, and everyone kept out of his way when it was his turn. He still got a lot of work done including triple Axels and quad toes. Coincidence? Or just Brendan following the etiquette of the session?

begin

Medalist
(I feel pretty bad for Denis that this has been blown up so much in the media. He doesn't have a HUGE fanbase like Yuzu does which means he's going to be made out as a villain.)

It seems we're already here :rolleye:
I'm not surprised that Denis tried to downplay it but I am surprised Yuzuru would go out to the media and accuse Ten of doing it on purpose. Him and the JSF have really escalated the issue.

hamster428

Rinkside
I hear Ten and others who say "they didn't hit each other, no big deal" and I find that very problematic.

I work in transportation, and we don't just analyze collision data, we analyze the probability for conflicts. You don't look at an accident waiting to happen, say it's no big deal because it hasn't happened yet. Often it's someone's life, gone, poof, when you wait for a traffic accident to happen before doing something about the bad intersection sight distance. Do you want to wait until something happen to make it a big deal? Oh wait, something did happen. Yuzu got a concussion last time. That's why it's a big deal! If you get angry at the guy who cuts you off at an intersection although you've got the green, then why can't Yuzu get angry bcoz someone cut him off on ice?
Honestly, if everyone gets an individual run through of their program anyway, just cut down their total practice time. You should've done enough practice at home! This is just for you to get a feel of the ice.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of Yuzuru and I understand his feelings, certainly I don't think it's ideal to say something like that to the press because we now how the press likes to milk everything. I definitely think we shouldn't accuse Denis of such a thing if there are no evidences, he is a classy man. Let's not point the finger at neither of them.

But the same could be said about Denis and his comments. Both of them are surely highly stressed out and didn't have time to consider the best PC response. However, empathy and basic etiquette should never go by the wayside just because you are at a competition. Denis is not a "villain," but he comes off very tone-deaf based on his own words.

padme21

On the Ice
I agree! The number of men during practice should be cut in half. I don't care if it takes longer. The safety of the the skaters should take priority.
If Denis hasn't apologized then he should.

naz

On the Ice
This incident is really blown out of proportion.

Denis shouldn't have been practicing spins or other elements that require a skater's full attention right there when Yuzuru was doing his runthrough, and when Yuzuru's music was on. It's obvious.
However, Yuzuru saying such things after being in a pretty warm relationship, as far as competitive relationships go, about Denis deliberately doing this, is unacceptably rude. They both understand the pressure. They both know the rules. And they both wouldn't do such things to their competitors, just out of integrity.

I would like to hope that both sides see this incident as an inevitable part of competition and choose to stop it from becoming a large scandal.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
It's surprising that Yuzuru would go the the press like that, really feels out of character but 3 times is the limit for Yuzuru I guess. I feel all this could have been avoided if Denis had given a simple apology on the ice and been more aware of his surroundings. Hopefully everything will be settled without any external intervention and they can both move on.

dia

Rinkside
It seems it's not the first issue between Ten and Hanyu.
Look at this
http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?35500-Yuzuru-Hanyu/page1361

p. 1361
"Hi guys, I just want to check something. I know that many fans who visited WC in Shanghai posted there. Maybe they know what's been going on between skaters. Recently new interview with Denis Ten came out, MK published it (Moskovsky Komsomoletz). I live in Ukrain so don't know if it's reliable newspaper or not. But the interview is very detailed (some things are so precise you wouldn't know them without Den's help). In this interview Denis hinted on Yuzuru pretty clearly when he talked about intrigues of FS backstage. Let me translate the extract:
"I've just come back from China, some nasty things happened to me there. They messed with my Free program music (literally: they put different piece of music into play). I literaly couldn't get into the bus, there was one athlete who just didnt let anyone in, he is always with the retinue behind him, and doing such things they try to mess with their rivals somehow/hinder them." http://mk-kz.kz/articles/2015/04/17/...-kataniya.html
He then stops with hints and goes on about incidents in Sochi. Actually I found two mistakes in this one extract so I don't recommend anyone to believe it. I just want to ask fans who have been in Shanghai and watched skaters off ice, did you notice any incidents between skaters and Yuzu when they got into the bus all together? If Denis was really offended by something he might just have misunderstood the whole situation. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
It seems it's not the first issue between Ten and Hanyu.
Look at this
http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?35500-Yuzuru-Hanyu/page1361

p. 1361
"Hi guys, I just want to check something. I know that many fans who visited WC in Shanghai posted there. Maybe they know what's been going on between skaters. Recently new interview with Denis Ten came out, MK published it (Moskovsky Komsomoletz). I live in Ukrain so don't know if it's reliable newspaper or not. But the interview is very detailed (some things are so precise you wouldn't know them without Den's help). In this interview Denis hinted on Yuzuru pretty clearly when he talked about intrigues of FS backstage. Let me translate the extract:
"I've just come back from China, some nasty things happened to me there. They messed with my Free program music (literally: they put different piece of music into play). I literaly couldn't get into the bus, there was one athlete who just didnt let anyone in, he is always with the retinue behind him, and doing such things they try to mess with their rivals somehow/hinder them." http://mk-kz.kz/articles/2015/04/17/...-kataniya.html
He then stops with hints and goes on about incidents in Sochi. Actually I found two mistakes in this one extract so I don't recommend anyone to believe it. I just want to ask fans who have been in Shanghai and watched skaters off ice, did you notice any incidents between skaters and Yuzu when they got into the bus all together? If Denis was really offended by something he might just have misunderstood the whole situation. Thanks in advance.

Do you really have to quote or refer to the trashiest newspaper in the whole of Russia? Given our Russian xenophobia and paranoia of the moment, they will publish anything to prove all the world is in a conspiracy against us. And us includes many of the former Soviet republics.

dia

Rinkside
Do you really have to quote or refer to the trashiest newspaper in the whole of Russia? Given our Russian xenophobia and paranoia of the moment, they will publish anything to prove all the world is in a conspiracy against us. And us includes many of the former Soviet republics.

Sorry I don't understand Russian and I don't know about their trash. I just said that I found a discussion on this forum about these two skaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.