29th Practice incident discussion | Page 5 | Golden Skate

29th Practice incident discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

apple123

On the Ice
People here keep saying Ten is carefree about safety. Is it really the case? I doubt Ten wanna get into any accident to get hurt or hurt others. He merely tries to downplay the whole thing. Hanyu seems quite aggressive in his reaction. That could rub Ten the wrong way and hence the response. I thought the no biggie comment sounds more annoyed than carefree.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Guys let's stop this discussion because we base only on media and we don't know everything. Let's leave this between them.

Taan

On the Ice
Livid Hanyu says Kazakhstan's Ten maybe after him
http://kyodonews.net/news/2016/03/31/55288
Yuzuru Hanyu believes Denis Ten was out to get him during practice ahead of the men's short program at the world figure skating championships on Wednesday.

"I saw the replay but I think it was intentional," Hanyu said, referring to the Kazakhstani who cut him off as he was training to music. "But I shouldn't have let him get to me. I should know better."

"I was an absolute mess, mentally. But because I had lost it completely, it allowed me to wipe the slate clean and focus on what I had to do."

"I thought to myself, 'Yes. I showed him.'"

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

ficelle

On the Ice
To make it short :

(Two) men under pressure + frightening situation + media loving gossip = a little incident became a big deal out of proportion...

That said, it certainly is important to think about the best way to hold practice session, to make it safe and efficient for every skater :)

Last edited:

unpoko

Rinkside
thank you for your insightful contribution to the conversation...

Seeing is believing, that's what they say.:)

His trauma about 14coc made him move like these,maybe? But he is entitled to bark at others because of his trauma. Sometimes Universe is like that. I know. I know.

yuki

Final Flight

His trauma about 14coc made him move like these,maybe? But he is entitled to bark at others because of his trauma. Sometimes Universe is like that. I know. I know.

No, but he is entitled to when it's his music playing, he has right of way and he's already been cut of a couple of times before by the same skater.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

It's clear to me that you have your image of Yuzuru and I have mine so I'll leave it at that.

sowcow

On the Ice
I agree! The number of men during practice should be cut in half. I don't care if it takes longer. The safety of the the skaters should take priority.

I frankly think we may be reaching a point where we need to reduce the number of guys on practice ice as I am not sure I think 6 guys all practicing multiple quads is really practical anymore. It think there will be more issues like this in the coming years unless changes are made ... Keep issuing warnings and looking at the situation. Warnings serve to document incidences. Maybe with warnings we can find what we need to change to make thing safer.

ye, I agree. 6 guys especially in group like we had yesterday is too much. They all skate faster and big, and jump big quads

My thoughts on [unnecessarily] reducing the number of single skaters (men only?) on practice sessions:
  • The top men and women in the world are more than capable to 'safely' practice with 5 others on the ice with them (i.e. 6 skaters total).
  • If the top men and women did not have this ability, they would have long ago been knocked out of the sport (literally) with multiple injuries from collisions.
  • Keep in mind, most Senior level skaters share regular practice ice with 15-20+ other skaters; and many of those sessions include a mix of Novice, Junior & Senior level skaters .

How would a solution look like? Reducing the warmup group to 4 and resurfacing the ice after every three instead of two groups would add another six minutes for every three groups. Should be doable, and the skaters get shorter delays between warmup and the programs. Don't know though if the competition would get more "jagged" for the audience ... :think:

@EdgeCall - I know you were looking at the actual competition warm-up groups in the case above. But, if you also set the maximum number of (singles) skaters on each practice session at 4 skaters, then you would need to shorten the length of each practice session considerably in order to fit within the overall competition schedule...

CURRENT PRACTICE SESSIONS (40 min. sessions)
(2 groups x 6 skaters = 12 skaters)
  • 40 min - 6 skaters
  • 40 min - 6 skaters
  • 10 min - ice resurfacing
    minutes

If we try to squeeze 3 groups (of 4 skaters) within the same 90 minute time allotment:

ADDING 1 GROUP (26½ min. session)
(3 groups x 4 skaters = 12 skaters)
  • 26½ min - 4 skaters
  • 26½ min - 4 skaters
  • 26½ min - 4 skaters
    89½ minutes
    ∆ = -½ minute

As 26½ minutes is an impractical length of time to work with, you can either round the time down (to 25 min) or up (to 30 min):

ADDING 1 GROUP (25 min. sessions)
  • 25 min - 4 skaters
  • 25 min - 4 skaters
  • 25 min - 4 skaters
    85 minutes
    ∆ = -5 minutes

ADDING 1 GROUP (30 min. sessions)
  • 30 min - 4 skaters
  • 30 min - 4 skaters
  • 30 min - 4 skaters
    100 minutes
    ∆ = +10 minutes

I have NO idea what sort of impact this would have on the overall competition schedule. But, as it concerns the skaters, here are some things to consider...
  • How much earlier in the morning (or later at night) would practice sessions need to start/finish to fit everything in?
  • What is the effect of shortening (from 40 to 25 minutes) perhaps the ONLY practice session a skater might have for that day?
  • For single practice days, is 25 minutes sufficient?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm actually the most concerned about the safety of top Pairs group practice, with double the number of skaters and all those big throws.

unpoko

Rinkside
No, but he is entitled to when it's his music playing, he has right of way and he's already been cut of a couple of times before by the same skater.

Normally, if you feel entitled to bark at others when your music is playing, you will be out of their way when their music is playing.
But seemingly somebody doesn't think so...

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h...16/12318706_1651894428401939_2025661806_n.mp4

Oops. He changed so radically between 15GPF and 16WC. Soooorry for forgetting about that:agree:

Meoima

Match Penalty

yuki

Final Flight

unpoko

Rinkside
That is Patrick's music and he clearly avoided Patrick.

You think he properly avoided Patrick in the situation? I don't want you to drive any car.

This time no sarcasm. Driving needs aptitude. Don't run over me.

- - - Updated - - -

He gets out of Patrick's way in that clip. What are you even talking about?

And you too. Don't drive any car.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'm actually the most concerned about the safety of top Pairs group practice, with double the number of skaters and all those big throws.

Isn't it the same number of skaters because they train in session of 3 teams? I skipped through the schedule a few days ago and i think I remember seeing a group of only Russian Teams, meaning the 3 teams.

cl2

Final Flight
I agree with those that take a broader view of the incident. It is not about a cat fight between top skaters. It is about a safety and a right-of-way issue between two skaters. It takes 2 hands to clap. Both parties must be on the look out to avoid accidents, and occasionally if one fails to look out it is still OK. BUT, when a skate has a runthrough he/she cannot be expected to be on the lookout for other skaters, therefore it is the onus of the other skaters to look out for the skater whose music is on. Hence the "courtesy" rule that they have right of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.