2016 Worlds Gala Exhibition - April 3 | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Gala Exhibition - April 3

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...When it came to the special introductions, I'm with Nicky. I too got the vibe that this was a goodbye performance when Meagan and Eric were introducing Patrick. And even more so when Adam was introducing Ashley. ...

Gotta nip this chatter in the bud.
In comments after Worlds, Patrick and Ashley both have been clear that they are not planning to retire.

Patrick Chan determined to get back on top after disappointing finish to comeback season

Ashley Wagner looks to 2018 after Worlds breakthrough

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Gotta nip this chatter in the bud.
In comments after Worlds, Patrick and Ashley both have been clear that they are not planning to retire.

Patrick Chan determined to get back on top after disappointing finish to comeback season

Ashley Wagner looks to 2018 after Worlds breakthrough

Thanks for the links. I hadn't heard anything. (I haven't been visiting the forum as much lately. Then I saw the story about Yu / Jin and Peng / Zhang yesterday, and I have been obsessively looking at that thread every time I have visited since!)

Well, at least they didn't drag it out, as I feared they might.

But, strictly speaking, I only said that I was getting the same vibe as Nicky in the part you quoted. ;) :biggrin:

I love it when we can be pedantic with each other. :)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Imagine if Ashley contemplates retiring after this great achievement, decides to skate in next year's worlds, does poorly and feels extra fire to compete again because of it, and then comes back and wins the gold at the Olympics a la Shizuka Arakawa :p

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Pairs 9th and men's 6th are the top Americans, which I have already covered in my previous post. Ladies 7th is Mao Asada, I'd invite her too if I were the organizers. The only "questionable" one on your list is Max Aaron, and I think he's done enough the earn an invite as the second American. Hubbell/Donohue are not the second Americans, they're not World Champions and Olympic medalists like Asada. Hopefully they can continue to improve and will earn their spot in future galas.

Well life isn't fair or logical. But if I was being fair and I think, big issue, logically the top american skater or team should be invited but Max Aaron - it is hard to justify him with Grant so close. And as much as there are a lot of Mao fans and fanatics out there it is hard to include her. Sorry, she is incongruent with everyone else - yes she is a legend and all but then V and T should have been invited to who placed one spot up and are Oly gold champions.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine if Ashley contemplates retiring after this great achievement, decides to skate in next year's worlds, does poorly and feels extra fire to compete again because of it, and then comes back and wins the gold at the Olympics a la Shizuka Arakawa :p

Where did this come from? I think it is hoped her medal will inspire her.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Where did this come from? I think it is hoped her medal will inspire her.

The retirement rumors reminded me of Arakawa, who was rumored to be/considering retiring after her 2004 World Championship win, which she and most people thought was the pinnacle of her career, so similar to Ashley right now :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watched the Gala on Monday and, on the whole, I have to say I found it disappointing compared to some of the galas we had earlier in the season.

But, I wasn’t fussed on the routine he did do. And I will now explain why.

Whenever there are threads asking what music you would like to see somebody skate to, I always end up suggesting the same pieces, because I really like them. And one of those pieces I always suggest is Joseph Haydn's “Österreich”. But, I nearly always add that it might seem odd for somebody to skate to a piece that is currently used as a National Anthem (in this case, by Germany).

Well, not many of you will realise this, but that is what Javi did.

“Danny Boy” is used as the National Anthem of Northern Ireland. The music it is set to, the “Londonderry Air”, is local in origin. Admittedly, the poem itself was written by an Englishman. But that is just a minor detail. ;)

It's not official (hey, even our flag isn't official any more! :rolleye: ), but “Danny Boy” is what gets played whenever any of our athletes win something at the Commonwealth Games (e.g. here). Just like “O Flower Of Scotland” is used for Scottish athletes; “Jerusalem” is used for English athletes; and “Land Of My Fathers” is used for Welsh athletes.

Now, I have to admit, I don't particularly like the song. It's just too dreary and depressing! National Anthems are supposed to be rousing (e.g. this one)*, and “Danny Boy” is anything but that! Nevertheless, it did feel strange to see somebody skating to what is my National Anthem.

CaroLiza fan, I did not know this, even though half my "ancestry" is northern Irish. The Henry's emigrated, what can I say?:biggrin: And I knew Cwm Rhonnda was the Welsh national anthem, and Scotland, but not Danny Boy. I've never seen anyone but half drunk Irish Americans sing that tune ...

And, as an Irish-American, I can't stand it!

Fascinating, thanks.....

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza fan, I did not know this, even though half my "ancestry" is northern Irish. The Henry's emigrated, what can I say?:biggrin: And I knew Cwm Rhonnda was the Welsh national anthem, and Scotland, but not Danny Boy. I've never seen anyone but half drunk Irish Americans sing that tune ...

And, as an Irish-American, I can't stand it!

Fascinating, thanks.....

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Hallelujah! Somebody else that understands that "Danny Boy" is a pub song, and not National Anthem material!

I have no idea why "Danny Boy" was selected to represent us. Like, I can think of loads of other songs that were written by people from here that are far better than it! But, I suppose this one was chosen because it does not have an association with a particular community. It is "neutral".

Still doesn't make it good! :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

P.S. Yes, "Cwm Rhonnda" (the tune for the hymn "Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer") is often used to represent Wales (e.g. at Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding). BUT, the official Welsh Anthem is "Land Of My Fathers". And it is far more rousing than Danny Boy! :agree:

(Re. the videos in the previous paragraph: OK, so I have made no secret that I don't like listening to opera singers. But, any excuse to watch Katherine Jenkins has to be taken! ;) :love: )

Last edited: