What's your top 5 of Worlds 2016? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's your top 5 of Worlds 2016?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just choosing from the sessions I was there in person to compare apples-to-apples:
1.) Javi's FS
2.) Anna Pogorilaya's SP
3.) Yuzuru SP
4.) Sui and Han SP
5.) Shibs FD

Honorable mentions: Savchenko/Massot's SP, Tarasova/Morozov's SP, Duhamel/Radford SP, Shoma Uno's SP, Boyang Jin's SP, Ashley Wagner's SP, Mikhail Kolyada FS

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
In no particular order (yes, it's more than five, sorry)
1. Mikhail Kolyada SP
2. Rika Hongo FS
3. Ashley Wagner - both
4. Duhamel/Radford - both
5. Stolbova/Klimov - just generally uber glad to see them again!
6. Javi FS
7. Yuzu SP
8. Gilles/Poirier - both

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
1. Ashley's long
2. Javi's long
3. Evgenia's long
4. Papadakis and Cizeron free dance
5. Shibutani / Shibutani free dance

This year is really the first year I've paid close attention to dance, and I've really enjoyed it. So many dance teams had absolutely wonderful programs this year and it's really drawn me in. How nice to see them all on display in fine form at worlds :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Deniss's SP - I'm just so proud of him :luv17:
Anna's SP
Javier's FS
Evgenia's FS
Mikhail's SP

Also I really enjoyed St/Kl, esp. the FS, and thought they deserved a higher score.

Kinga

Medalist
Dennis Vasiljev SP
Polish ice dance team SD
Satoko LP - it was so neatly interpreted
Ashley both programs
S/H SP

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
1. Papadakis/Cizeron FS
2. Duhamel/Radford FS (mostly because of their happiness :laugh:)
3. Anna's SP
4. Yuzu's SP
5. Gracie's SP

skateluver

Rinkside
1. Papadakis/Cizeron SP (Most would go with the FS, but I really love their SP)
2. Anna Pogorilaya SP (World class Anna. Gracie had a better jump content, but Anna had fire in her SP)
4. Evgenie Medvedeva FS (She deserves her title without any disputes)
3. Javier Fernandez FS (Although I love his SP more, this was delivered perfectly. So happy for him)
5. Mao Asada FS (Vintage Mao, not perfect, but always perfect in my eyes)

Bonus Viveca Lindfors (I think Finland may have a rising star here, she has the jumps and flexibility)

Aklaus

Rinkside
1. Papadakis/ Cizeron (skating in their own class, I consder all the other couples fighting for their levels but the french are dancing and you forget about the technical stuff)
2. Javier Fernandez FS (last year he was winning du to having less errors than Yuzuru but this time he was perfect)
3. Duhamel/ Radford FS (flawless, nearly the same as before - but they were not to be expected on the top regarding their competitions before)
3. Anna Pogorilaya SP & FS (think about all the doubts the federations choice before; she stayed calm and she made it!)
4. Ashley Wagner (she really deserved the medal, she made the podium at 4C and GPF before, which Gracie couldn_t afford so far)
5. Aljona Savchenko (you can always get what you want and she doesn_t give up)

tureis

On the Ice
Among the many memorable performances, there are actually four that stand out for me:

Javier Fernandez FS
Hands down the greatest moment of this competition. It was out of this world, exquisite on every level. All those comments about this being the greatest free skate of all time speak volumes. I'm so happy for this underdog of a skater, coming from a country where most haven't even heard of the sport, and reaching the very top.

Mao Asada FS
Finally, the Mao we have come to know, and the program I had always hoped Madama Butterfly to be. I cried. Enough said, or I'll cry again.

Sui/Han SP
It has never been as obvious as in this performance that they are by far the most exciting team in the pairs discipline in a long time. This program had so much passion, sharpness and energy, it may actually be responsible for the wet spot on the ice for the rest of the competition.

Anna Pogorilaya FS
Because she has proven wrong in a massive way all those naysayers writing her off, with a performance as clean and confident as it gets. It was a joy to see her ecstatic reaction, all the emotions bursting out of this very reserved girl.

gnom

On the Ice
Sui & Han SP
Ashley Wagner SP
Savchenko & Massot - Twist
Papadakis & Cizeron FD
Mao Asada FS

screw

Rinkside
Papadakis/Cizeron Free Dance
Anna Pogorilaya Short Program
Mao Asada Free Program
Deniss Vasiljevs Short Program
Mikhail Kolyada Free Program

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
So many great ones, tough to decide!

1. Evgenia Medvedeva FS
2. Yuzuru Hanyu SP
3. Anna Pogorilaya SP
4. Javier Fernandez FS
5. Chock/Bates FD

(Honorable mentions: Papadakis/Cizeron FD & Ashley Wagner FS)

viscacha

Spectator
Best performances are:

Sui/Han SP Amazingly musical!
Ashley Wagner SP She knows who she is and what she is good at...
Anna Pogorilaya SP I wanted to see such a captivating performance at NHK cup at which I attended
Gilles / Poirier FD Intrigued by abstract choreo and minimalistic music / Love their attire
Shibs SD&FD SD is cute! FD is transcendent attire suits the music

Alex D

Record Breaker
My top five moments were,

1. Anna winning a medal, as she is such a gorgeous lady and a real woman with emotions and beautiful programs. She would still shine, with a potato bag as costume.

2. Mirai, Ashley ripping apart the venue. Mirai´s short and Ashley´s Free, were touching and absolutely necessary to kick the "Americans" out of their seats. Wonderful to see Mao back on ice as well.

3. Ice Dance, showing once again, that it is a top class competition, with good story lines, difficult elements and lovely personalities. The Americans and Canadians who did not end up on the podium, really made my day and I am happy for Maddison and Evan, it would have been kind of sad, if they wouldn´t have won a medal, but same can be said about Kaitlyn and Andrew, who hopefully keep going, their style is different but not less good.

4. The Ladies competition overall, it was the best since I don´t know how many years, so many great performances, they all wanted to prove how good they are and if a skater who makes two smaller mistakes, doesn´t win a medal, then I believe this shows what a great depth we have these days.

5. Pairs Skating finally touching me again, especially Lubov and Dylan, that was fantastic to see.