Help for a non-Pairs-Fan | Golden Skate

Help for a non-Pairs-Fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm trying to love the discipline again. I only rarely bother watching it any more. IJS has ruined it.

So, give me ONE program to give a look from Worlds. Short or long, it won't matter.

My all time favorites are the Protopopovs, Irina Rodnina & anyone in the world, G/G, Tai & Randy.

So, given that background, pick just one program to make me love pairs again.

It doesn't have to be the winners/medalists. Tell me why you love them so much!

Barb

Record Breaker
I'm trying to love the discipline again. I only rarely bother watching it any more. IJS has ruined it.

So, give me ONE program to give a look from Worlds. Short or long, it won't matter.

My all time favorites are the Protopopovs, Irina Rodnina & anyone in the world, G/G, Tai & Randy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgkiI1_jY7w Sui/Han Chin SP

sarama

Medalist
Yes!!!!! The best program of the competition for sure was Sui/Han's SP! I didn't watch figure skating pre IJS, but I have watched videos of course, and pairs back then were a totally different discipline. I think for many years the field was just struggling to adjust but now the quality level is really rising, there are a lot of excellent pairs and all with very different qualities, so I am sure you just have to find a few teams that draw you in again... Good luck

LRK

Record Breaker
My favourite pairs program of the season wasn't at Worlds'... (Astakhova/Rogonov's free - also Kavaguti/Smirnov's free, but that is a program that they re-used, so it wasn't new for this season). But I honestly think pairs is in a very good place right now - plenty of variety, so there should be something for everyone to enjoy.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, Pairs have changed a lot but as some have mentioned, I think it is nice now to have variety... Ice dance went through this evolution also after COP, and if some still miss the old style, I'd say that new styles (P/C) being developped is great for us... there is more variety...

And Pairs are going through that same path I would say.... teams now are focusing on how to improve their scores, correct... but I wouldn't be surprised that when we hit a new plateau in technical difficulty, that refinement will improve... just like in ID. Pairs was the most stagnant in terms of development so it is pretty normal that the evolution to the new system has triggered the need for higher technical difficulty in a quick time... I also think that it won't stop until 2018.... D/R and S/H will keep pushing the content...

as someone has mentioned, S/H are already getting more and more refined.

For D/R, they may not be your cup of tea but one has to admit that their unison was near flawless.... and while many people complain about their lack of romantic connection, I appreciate seeing their BFF connection. You can see Eric`s support for Meagan and her joy skating with him.

As you have requested one program that may please you : I would suggest I/M LP... `Luba is a gorgeous skater with nice lines and flexibility, like it was tradition in pairs and Dylan is a strong Partner. Their LP, skated to Rachmaninoff is just beautiful.

tzazu

Medalist

Sui/Han, they didn't nailed it in Worlds, but their FS in 4CC was great:
https://youtu.be/ahXWAJQIcOE

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
As you have requested one program that may please you : I would suggest I/M LP... `Luba is a gorgeous skater with nice lines and flexibility, like it was tradition in pairs and Dylan is a strong Partner. Their LP, skated to Rachmaninoff is just beautiful.

I was going to make the same suggestion, 4everchan, re Lobov and Dylan...their throw 3z got the highest point value of all pairs teams in the competition...just amazing that was!

If you want to see who has pushed the boundaries of the pairs, for power and technical ability, then watch Meagan & Eric Worlds' FP and as earlier been suggested, Stolbova/Klimov FP from the Grand Prix.

My favorite pairs performance of the year was Kayne and O'shea at U.S. Nationals. I hope it wasn't a one and done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnxBK5wVZTE

As for Worlds, it may not be your cup of tea if you are a Protopopov, Gordeeva and Grinkov fan, but Duhamel and Radford really nailed it in their World's free skate. If you are into the "thrill of victory" half of a sports fans mantra, it was just wonderful.