2016 World Synchro Championships SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 World Synchro Championships SP

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Team Germany's SP was amazing!!! We were watching the competition with one of my friends and we thought that they should have been higher than Team Sweden 2, though we don't understand anything about the technical aspects of synchronized skating.

Is this Team Russia 1 the one which won the GPF event? The winner was Russian team skating to Carmen and I remember falling in love with them back then :love: Looking forward to free skates!!

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I see, thank you - that explains a lot! Still surprised that MIU - their big rival - is also going through a rough patch. I suppose it's only natural to have some tougher seasons here and there :)

I always find that there's ebb and flow with top synchro teams, where they're on the world championship podium several years in a row, and then, like the poster above explained, the veterans retire after feeling they've accomplished their goals in synchro, thus leaving the team in a rebuilding phase with a mix of veterans and new skaters who have to learn the team's "style" of synchro, which can take a couple of seasons to gel. I'd say it's comparable to a new ice dance or pairs partnership.

Team Surprise from Sweden is a good example of this, as they used to be a dominant force on the podium; their last podium finish was in 2012, when they won the championship in their hometown of Gothenburg. They still haven't regained their top form, as I can't see them placing on the podium today.

The haydenettes from the US also experienced this ohenonon after winning four world bronze medals in a row, the last in 2013 in their hometown of Boston. They are looking good this year and I suspect they may make the podium today. :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Team Germany's SP was amazing!!! We were watching the competition with one of my friends and we thought that they should have been higher than Team Sweden 2, though we don't understand anything about the technical aspects of synchronized skating.

Is this Team Russia 1 the one which won the GPF event? The winner was Russian team skating to Carmen and I remember falling in love with them back then :love: Looking forward to free skates!!

Yes, that's Team Russia 1, Paradise, who won the GPF. They are doing amazingly well this year and I actually hope they take the gold today. :) They definitely deserve it; they'd been working so hard to get to the podium after many years of disappointing near misses, until finally wining bronze last year.

Like the majority of skating fans, I'm tired of seeing skaters skating to the overused warhorse that is Carmen, but I actually really like Paradise's Carmen free program. I guess my tolerance level of Carmen is higher when it's used in synchro. :laugh:

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How is it possible that they still hire camerapersons who think it's a great idea to zoom in on one skater's face during a synchronized skating programme? :disapp:

Oh goodness, this irks me to no end. For synchro, the video camera should NEVER EVER under any circumstance zoom in on one particular skater or one small group of skaters. You miss the shapes created on the ice and the choreographic intricacies of the program when that happens. :furious:

:eek:topic: The same goes for group numbers in dance recitals. When my daughter was still taking dance lessons, we would always buy the Dvd of the performance, and it drove me crazy to see that the cameraperson had focused on one particular kid every ten seconds, and then would move on to another kid for ten seconds and then another and another. I want to see MY kid and her classmates doing the whole routine TOGETHER, NOT a mashup of random peoples kids!!! Grrr. :gaah:

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Looking forward to see team Croatia SP tonight, Umbrella by The Baseballs is such a nice and funny song!

Les Suprèmes probably have the worst music choices of the competition. Put a Spell On You and Moulin Rouge... :palmf:

LOL, they are definitely the winner of the most overused program music award. :laugh: They're kind of notorious for that, last season they used a Cabaret/Fosse theme, and the year before they used Gatsby.:handw:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I finally found some time to watch a bunch of videos from yesterday's short. Nexxice completely overhauled their entire program since attending the Shanghi trophy in March: a different version of the music, different costumes, different choreography, different everything, wow. I wonder what's up with that?