2016 Synchro Worlds Videos and Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Synchro Worlds Videos and Results

Précision

Rinkside
I always assumed it's because physics is a little against synchro teams when it comes to death spirals. Just think of the size difference in most pair teams ;)

I think it's because it's easier to do with little or none size difference. But there are also teams that do it more properly, like Hockettes junior : https://youtu.be/FMxTd6dXwj4. It' the first element in their program. There might be also a problem with teaching the proper technique that the synchro coaches just doesn't have the knowledge how to teach the death spiral. And also the mentioned way to do that is ok by the rules.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am still hoping someone will upload Team Russia 1 (Paradise) SP to dailymotion, but no luck so far.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes that's likely true regarding the difficulty of two women doing a death spiral, though Hockettes Junior do a great job with the pivot.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes that's likely true regarding the difficulty of two women doing a death spiral, though Hockettes Junior do a great job with the pivot.

Maybe, but I think that's the direction the sport is going to go in. There seems to be quite a few parallels with the history of ice dancing. For years, ice dancing wasn't considered a "real" sport. The more difficult and acrobatic routines became, the more respect it garnered as, yes, a "real" sport--to the point that, now, no one questions its inclusion in the Olympics.

I see Synchro heading in the same direction. It's not only that the Haydenettes are adding more difficult elements from pairs and singles, it's that the judges are rewarding them for it.

Give it another decade and I will bet the difficulty will increase, well, ten-fold.

Synchro, It ain't just Busby Berkeley on ice. Not anymore.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you for all your hard work with posting all the video links, Doris!

I really wish synchro was more appreciated around here. :( Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself.

Pah I like synchro too. It's early days for the sport in terms of the wider skating audience. It's not really that they don't appreciate it--it's more that they've never been exposed to it as a competitive sport. It's like a variation of "ignorance is not stupidity." ;)

Thank you so much Doris for posting the links. Now I can spend the offseason watching them!

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pah I like synchro too. It's early days for the sport in terms of the wider skating audience. It's not really that they don't appreciate it--it's more that they've never been exposed to it as a competitive sport. It's like a variation of "ignorance is not stupidity." ;)

Ahh, bless your heart. ;) All good points. It could also be a spin on the concept of "fearing the unknown".

I didn't know much about synchro until I was 20 years old. There were no feelings of positivity or negativity about it, just neutral ignorance. There were no teams in the town I grew up in, so exposure was next to none. Twelve years after originally joining my first synchro team, it's amazing to think back at how synchro impacted my life for the better, both as a skater and as a fan of figure skating in general.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well you know, I am not at all a techie, whether it be of dance or of skating. I know a little bit, from having known a few dancers over the years, and Doris posted some wonderful articles here about the technical aspects of skating, though I still don't know what a choctaw is. I do know a three turn though! I feel so smart! :)

But I have always loved dance and went to plenty of performances of dance companies (Twyla Tharp, Mere Cunningham, Pilobolus, etc) and I watched. And watched and watched. One of the reasons I so enjoy syncho is precisely because it is so Busby Berkeley-esque, and I spent a chunk of time working as a researcher for a film historian who specialized in early Hollywood musical and LGBT issues in pre-Stonewall movies. It really does remind me of ice dancing. Right now it is early days--like ice dance pre-Torvill and Dean. Or film choreography prior to the advent of Busby (you want a good laugh, watch some early Hollywood musicals from the advent of sound to 42nd Street, which is really the first "Golden Age" musical). And now that all the teams have seen the Haydenettes being so rewarded for introducing more complex jumps, spins and the like, you betcha the other teams will be doing so post-haste. Which means that the next decade should shape up to be the most exciting in Synchro's history so far. At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Don't worry, I have a hard time explaining what a Choctaw is, and I can actually DO one on ice. :laugh: I think I had a coach explain once that it's similar to a Mohawk, except there is a change of edge happening as well as a change of foot, whereas a Mohawk starts and ends on the same edge but involves a change of foot.

By pre-stonewall, I assume you mean the Stonewall Riots? Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant on the topic, however I do love reading and learning about anything and everything - no joke, I can get lost for hours on Wikipedia. And yes, I know Wikipedia isn't necessarily reputable nor is it the most reliable source, but I can't tell you how much I've learned from that site since it's inception, other than it's been a lot. ;) I like reading academic research too, do you have web links to any of your projects?

Imagine if senior synchro teams started doing throw double jumps? I can see it coming in the next ten years.