Sept 14-18: Saransk RUS (PAIRS)

Sept 21-25: Ljubljana SLO

Sept 28-Oct 2: Tallinn EST (PAIRS)

Oct 5-9: Dresden GER (PAIRS)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so happy that Japan got one! But really bummed there's not one single one in North America.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pardon my ignorance, but how come some of the listed events say PAIRS? Do pairs get their own event? :scratch2:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Pardon my ignorance, but how come some of the listed events say PAIRS? Do pairs get their own event? :scratch2:

There aren't enough junior pairs to have a pairs competition at every JGP so the only JGP events with pairs are the ones that have pairs listed. All of the other disciplines will be at every JGP.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh, I see. That makes sense. Thanks for answering.

Sometimes I worry that pairs is a dying discipline. :sad21:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh, I see. That makes sense. Thanks for answering.

Sometimes I worry that pairs is a dying discipline. :sad21:

Please, never say that. There are still fans like me who likes pairs the best! I like how this year the pairs events aren't all one after another like last year :agree:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Please, never say that. There are still fans like me who likes pairs the best! I like how this year the pairs events aren't all one after another like last year :agree:

You should check out "A Divine Sport": https://adivinesport.com
It's a pairs-centric skating blog that I enjoy following. I think you will like it, too, if pairs is your thing! :yes:

On the topic of juniors in general, who does everyone think the breakout stars of this season's JGP will be?

My answer is fairly predictable: I think Liza Nugumanova is going to be THE junior this year. I'm guessing that Liza, Polina and Marin will be battling it out for all the titles and that is a matchup I am very excited to see. :popcorn:

I know nothing about junior men, so I can't answer that.

Are the Greens moving up this year? I think they would do very well on the JGP if they did. #IncomingWISADomination :cool:
In addition, Shipelvaya/Smirnov were kind of the breakout stars of this season and I only expect them to get better.

In pairs, I heard about a Chinese pair, Sui/Yang, who are going to be eligible next year and have a 4Tw, so naturally I have high hopes for them. :laugh:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's a pairs-centric skating blog that I enjoy following. I think you will like it, too, if pairs is your thing! :yes:

Thanks! :thank: I will surely follow it! Pairs needs more love :cheer:

I'm curious if we will see any pairs skaters who wil do as much progress as Dsukova/Bidar did. And I hope we will some good ones other than Russian & Ukrainians we already know. I want to see an exciting fight for podiums like last season!

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker

On the topic of juniors in general, who does everyone think the breakout stars of this season's JGP will be?

My answer is fairly predictable: I think Liza Nugumanova is going to be THE junior this year. I'm guessing that Liza, Polina and Marin will be battling it out for all the titles and that is a matchup I am very excited to see. :popcorn:

I know nothing about junior men, so I can't answer that.

Are the Greens moving up this year? I think they would do very well on the JGP if they did. #IncomingWISADomination :cool:
In addition, Shipelvaya/Smirnov were kind of the breakout stars of this season and I only expect them to get better.

In pairs, I heard about a Chinese pair, Sui/Yang, who are going to be eligible next year and have a 4Tw, so naturally I have high hopes for them. :laugh:

Sui/Yang broke up.
I think that Mishina/Mirzoev could be a force, if she doesn't grow. Can't think of another junior pair with two SBS triples. I hope Sokur/Pleshkov get a JGP spot because I like them.

I like Nugumanova. Gubanova could be a real star if she's over her growth spurt and sorts out her SP issues (which I think she will). Samodurova could also surprise. I think Eun-Soo Kim is the young Korean eligible but I admit I don't know much about her.

I hope Petr Gummenik can add a 3A to his programs - he is wonderful.

Fairly certain that Caroline Green is too young.

Also, The US seems to host a JGP only every other year.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Sui/Yang broke up.
I think that Mishina/Mirzoev could be a force, if she doesn't grow. Can't think of another junior pair with two SBS triples. I hope Sokur/Pleshkov get a JGP spot because I like them.

I like Nugumanova. Gubanova could be a real star if she's over her growth spurt and sorts out her SP issues (which I think she will). Samodurova could also surprise. I think Eun-Soo Kim is the young Korean eligible but I admit I don't know much about her.

Oh, that's right. Caroline turns 13 in October, so she is too young.

Sui/Yang split up? Seriously! Gaaaah! These people need to stop getting my hopes up! :gaah:

I've never seen Samodurova. Will have to watch her. Eun-Soon Kim, too.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Oh, I love pairs as well, don't get me wrong. It just seems like the category is shrinking at all the levels. It makes me sad. :(

For example, Canadian nationals had only nine novice pair teams competing, nine junior pairs and eight senior pairs. Compare that to the singles and ice dance categories, and pairs is quite small in comparison to the number of entries the other events receive.

It probably has a lot to do with how we raise our kids these days: we are terrified to let them cross the street or talk to strangers, let alone be hoisted up into the air one-handed and rapidly spun around by another person while both wearing skates. :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i cannot wait for duhamel and marcotte making children ;) and they better start right after 2018 ;) i am sure those kids will be allowed to jump around... but yeah... pairs is losing momentum worldwide while dance is gaining some... i am happy for dance, a lot!!! but pairs is so dear to my heart as well that i hope it regains popularity...

honestly, i wish that there would at least be ONE even in america every year... this is not good for skating in general.... glad to see that japan has an event so it's not all in europe... B seniors are also mostly in europe... it's not good for the popularity of the sport in america if fans do not get to see live events....
Oh, I love pairs as well, don't get me wrong. It just seems like the category is shrinking at all the levels. It makes me sad. :(

For example, Canadian nationals had only nine novice pair teams competing, nine junior pairs and eight senior pairs. Compare that to the singles and ice dance categories, and pairs is quite small in comparison to the number of entries the other events receive.

It probably has a lot to do with how we raise our kids these days: we are terrified to let them cross the street or talk to strangers, let alone be hoisted up into the air one-handed and rapidly spun around by another person while both wearing skates. :laugh:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Sui/Yang broke up.

Atakhanova/Spiridonov land triples(3T and 3S) as well and 3T+2T+2L. Tried also 3L but fell...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

They could still try to have one in Canada, or Mexico, or anywhere in central or South America, or Australia, or New Zealand, or anywhere that could be called Oceania, or South Africa, or anywhere in Africa...The locations are a bit centralized.

oleada

Record Breaker
They could still try to have one in Canada, or Mexico, or anywhere in central or South America, or Australia, or New Zealand, or anywhere that could be called Oceania, or South Africa, or anywhere in Africa...The locations are a bit centralized.

I can't imagine that many federations are willing to host one. It's not exactly an event that brings in much revenue.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I can't imagine that many federations are willing to host one. It's not exactly an event that brings in much revenue.

Agree :agree:.

I think it is safe to assume that the revenues for a JGP would be lower than for a GP.
And adding insult to injury (so to speak), the number of entries at a JGP is higher (as is the number of federations they represent) -- meaning that the expenses and logistical responsibilities for the hosting federation would be higher.

Not necessarily an attractive proposition.

That said, Mexico has hosted at least two JGPs: 2013 and 2006. Australia hosted one in 2011. South Africa had one in 2008.

So never say never ...

MalAssada

Medalist
I wish Brazilian Federation would consider doing one in Rio or São Paulo. Figure Skating is one of the only disciplines of winter sports that people watch during the Olympics, and the majority of the population cannot tell good from bad unless someone falls, so I think the audience would be large and enthusiast towards everyone... Does anyone have an idea how much it costs to host a JGP?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Oh, I love pairs as well, don't get me wrong. It just seems like the category is shrinking at all the levels.

I don't think it's shrinking, so much as that it's always a smaller discipline because of the many requirements for getting and keeping a team together.

Of course the numbers do fluxuate from year to year. Ice dance, which has some but not all of the same limitations, might be smaller in some contexts in some years. But usually it's easier to field dance teams than pair teams, although some countries (China) may have developed more of a tradition for pairs than for dance.

There will almost always be more singles competitors than pair and dance competitors, for reasons that should be obvious.