2016-17 JGP dates & locations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016-17 JGP dates & locations

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Usually, locations like JPN, AUS, RSA don't draw quite as many JGP participants as the European JGPs do. In 2008, RSA drew only 12 men, 27 ladies and 9 dance teams, far less than the 24/32/16 European averages. USA and JPN draw more participants than RSA did, but not as many as the Euro averages.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I would like 2 JGPs outside Europe.
Maybe 5 in Europe, 1 in North America, and one in Asia/Oceania/Africa etc.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm curious, how much JGPs being mainly in Europe is due to ISU decisions and how much due to countries outside Europe lack of willingness to host A JGP events. I'd like it too, if 4 of the events were North America/Asia/Africa/Australia (or any combination of at least two continents) and only 3 in europe. It would make things more interesting and easier on some federations financially. But if countries don't want to host an event, there's nothing ISU can do about it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most of the federations---and therefore, the skaters---are in Europe. That pretty much explains why most of the B competitions, the Challenges, and the JGPs are at European venues. The GP, with two in NA, two in Asia and two in Europe, is the one exception to the rule.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sure, there are many, but excluding Russian & French they are all small and rather poor. You could fit whole Europe in US if you exclude Russia. And outisde you have 3 big federations: US, Canada & Japan, and China not being the smallest either. So I still don't get why there is such disproportion. Many countries in Europe are happy, if they have decent skater/couple in at least one discipline, I don't see "most skaters" being in Europe. There is more allowed to compete in ISU Championships, true, due to many fenderations, bu how many of them gets minimums anyway? And federation can send how many skaters they like to international competitions, so I guess NA skaters would actualy make a profit, if more competitions were held there. Same with Asia.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Frankly, I think the JGPs should be:

JGP USA - anywhere on the west coast (okay, this is only because I want to go, but still! Every big 4 country should host)

JGP Russia - anywhere but Moscow, maybe St. Petersburg or Volgograd?

JGP Canada - Vancouver (because it would be cool to have a JGP on Olympic ice :cool:)

JGP Japan - Osaka (because a lot of skaters train there but I've never seen a competition there)

JGP Australia - anywhere that has facilities (I would say Sydney, but I have no idea where the ice rinks are in Australia)

JGP China - Shanghai (because they did a good job with Worlds)

JGP Brazil - okay, so this is wishful thinking, but if there are any rinks in Brazil it would be awesome! South America is my favorite continent :laugh: and I think that hosting an elite event would do a world of good for Brazil's nearly-nonexistent skating program.

Unrealistic, but I can dream! :laugh:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

JGP USA - anywhere on the west coast (okay, this is only because I want to go, but still! Every big 4 country should host)

JGP Canada - Vancouver (because it would be cool to have a JGP on Olympic ice :cool:)

JGP Japan - Osaka (because a lot of skaters train there but I've never seen a competition there)

JGP Australia - anywhere that has facilities (I would say Sydney, but I have no idea where the ice rinks are in Australia)

JGP Brazil - okay, so this is wishful thinking, but if there are any rinks in Brazil it would be awesome! South America is my favorite continent :laugh: and I think that hosting an elite event would do a world of good for Brazil's nearly-nonexistent skating program.

Nice, excpet Brazil being unrealistic, I would give one to France. Or Spain, Barcelona!

gkelly

Record Breaker
And federation can send how many skaters they like to international competitions,

That's not true for the JGP -- there are limited numbers of slots per country, based on results from the previous Junior Worlds.

so I guess NA skaters would actualy make a profit, if more competitions were held there. Same with Asia.

There's no financial profit to be made by participating in JGP or senior B events. Is there any prize money at all?

I'm not even sure how they are funded. Little or no ticket sales or television coverage. Are there entry fees? Does the ISU fund them with profits from the high-profile televised events?

At best, it would cost federations less to send skaters and officials to events on the same continent where they live. Or cost less for skaters who fund their own travel if the federations can't afford it.

Most of those federations are in Europe, hence the popularity of European competitions.

Although Canada and the US have large numbers of skaters, there are only two such large federations in the Americas. And they also host GP events every year and the US now has a senior B and they sometimes host Worlds or Four Continents or team competitions, as well JGP every few years . . . there's only so much international hosting two federations can do.

Same for Japan, which also has a lot of singles skaters. It's closer to some other Asian federations, but Asia/Oceania covers a huge geographic area.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That's not true for the JGP -- there are limited numbers of slots per country, based on results from the previous Junior Worlds.

There's no financial profit to be made by participating in JGP or senior B events. Is there any prize money at all?

At best, it would cost federations less to send skaters and officials to events on the same continent where they live. Or cost less for skaters who fund their own travel if the federations can't afford it.

Most of those federations are in Europe, hence the popularity of European competitions.

Although Canada and the US have large numbers of skaters, there are only two such large federations in the Americas. And they also host GP events every year and the US now has a senior B and they sometimes host Worlds or Four Continents or team competitions, as well JGP every few years . . . there's only so much international hosting two federations can do.

Same for Japan, which also has a lot of singles skaters. It's closer to some other Asian federations, but Asia/Oceania covers a huge geographic area.

1. Yes, JGP has limited spots, but I was refering to chuckm post, where he/she mentioned Challengers and other B competitions.
2. Yes, no financial profit for skaters, but that also concern Europe federations, no? I meant excatly what you mentioned later ;) Also no jet lag for skaters from the same continent or at least lesser, I guess.
3. Russia and France have GP events too and barcelona had GPF two years in row but GP actually make some money. Many small federations organizes small competitions like Challengers and JGP completely for free like Poland. So no money fo federation unless ISU is giving some, but then US and Japan will have some too. As to Worlds, they are as many in Europe as outside, hosted often by poorer countries and also less invested in FS. And 4CC? Well, Europe has European Championships, so see no difference. And this season it was hosted in same country as one of JGP and Challenger and Slovakia isn't nearly as rich federation as US or Japan is.

I actually thought fans from other continets would like to have more events. I'm not the one who complain about different time zone all the time or travel costs.

oleada

Record Breaker
No offense, but what fans from other continents? As nice as it is to think about that, there's little to no history of the sport in places like Mexico or Africa; much less local, grassroots growth of it. FS is not exactly getting a ton of funding in the US, much less in a place like Brasil or Mexico. It takes money to run a competition. As mentioned JGP bring little to no revenue for a federation; it brings a ton of costs. Plus, like ChuckM said, the events in Australia, South Africa, Mexico and even the US and Japan have less participants overall. The fact that most European countries are small means that a large number of skaters are in Europe, and the travel costs to a European event are much less for the majority of skaters. It would be nice to have more JGP events outside of Europe but right now I doubt that it's all that financially feasible right now.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... There's no financial profit to be made by participating in JGP or senior B events. Is there any prize money at all? ...

JGPs do have prize money. For 2015, the amounts were:

Singles (Ladies and Men)
1st place US$ 2.000,00
2nd place US$ 1.500,00
3rd place US$ 1.000,00

Pair Skating and Ice Dance (per couple)
1st US$ 3.000,00
2nd US$ 2.250,00
3rd US$ 1.500,00​

~~~~~~~~~~~

And for the JGPF:

A skater/couple will receive an extra bonus of US$ 2.500,00 for participation in the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.

Prize money:

Men and Ladies
1st place US$ 6.000,00
2nd place US$ 5.000,00
3rd place US$ 4.000,00
4th place US$ 3.000,00
5th place US$ 2.000,00
6th place US$ 1.000,00

Pair Skating & Ice Dance (per couple)
1st place US$ 9.000,00
2nd place US$ 7.500,00
3rd place US$ 6.000,00
4th place US$ 4.500,00
5th place US$ 3.000,00
6th place US$ 1.500,00​

... JGP Japan - Osaka (because a lot of skaters train there but I've never seen a competition there) ...

Osaka hosted 2013 Four Continents. Also 2014 NHK Trophy.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It would be nice to have more JGP events outside of Europe but right now I doubt that it's all that financially feasible right now.

Again, how is it less feasible for Canada than Czech Republic? JGP brings a lot of costs for small countries in Europe too! I see that some psoters conviniently forget about that detail. Like it's okay for Czech Republic to make financial loss, but Canada? Hell no! Ah, course they have so much more money! :sarcasm:
So when you're a host country, you can enter more skaters icreasing chances for medals & prize money for skaters :) Well, I'm done, I said everything I wanted. Thanks golden for info about prizes, I think I read about it somewhere and totally forgot.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I wanted to mention that I know at least some senior B's give monetary prizes. Kana Muramoto and Chris Reed got 800 Euros for their second place finish at Torun Cup (see here). It's not a lot, but it helps offset some costs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canada has a lot of good options... Montreal (where many pairs and dance teams train) Quebec city because it's gorgeous... Calgary if you like Olympic ice... Toronto : the cricket club... Halifax.... Edmonton, Ottawa, etc... many options.. and many knowledgeable fans...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada hosted in 2002 and 2005
Mexico in 2006 and 2013
South Africa in 2008
Australia in 2011
Japan in 2003, 2010, 2014, 2016
USA in 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2015

Poice

Final Flight
No Poland this year? At least I'm glad I traveled to Toruń last year to see Sota Yamamoto, Deniss Vasiljevs and Polina Tsurskaya live :)

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Sabine

On the Ice
Yes. I would like to know what specific JGP certain countries have got. Is there a list somewhere?