Team Challenge Cup: Predictions Game Rd. 4 | Golden Skate

Team Challenge Cup: Predictions Game Rd. 4

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Here is the thread where you can make your predictions for the Team Challenge Cup.

Entries/Results Page:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/23073/results.html

The competitions start on 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] April 2016 sometime after 19:30 PDT (03:30 BST / 02:30 GMT) with the Men’s and Ladies SP’s.

So, the target time to get your predictions in is 1 hour before that, i.e. 18:30 PDT (02:30 BST / 01:30 GMT)

Due to the strange format of this event (and the lack of a concrete schedule :bang: ), I am afraid that we will NOT be accepting entries after the first competition has started.

If you need any help working out what time this is where you are, here is the Time Converter that Mrs. P has been very kindly directing us to the past couple of years.

Entries

The Entries/Results page is not up yet, so I have made out the tables myself. So, apologies if I have made any mistakes!

Ladies:

No.NameNationTeam
1.Rika HONGOJPNTeam Asia
2.Satoko MIYAHARAJPNTeam Asia
3.Elizabet TURSYNBAEVAKAZTeam Asia
4.Roberta RODEGHIEROITATeam Europe
5.Evgenia MEDVEDEVARUSTeam Europe
6.Elena RADIONOVARUSTeam Europe
7.Gabrielle DALEMANCANTeam North America
8.Gracie GOLDUSATeam North America
9.Ashley WAGNERUSATeam North America

No.NameNationTeam
W/DElizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVARUSTeam Europe

Men:

No.NameNationTeam
1.Boyang JINCHNTeam Asia
2.Shoma UNOJPNTeam Asia
3.Denis TENKAZTeam Asia
4.Michal BREZINACZETeam Europe
5.Mikhail KOLYADARUSTeam Europe
6.Sergei VORONOVRUSTeam Europe
7.Nam NGUYENCANTeam North America
8.Jason BROWNUSATeam North America
9.Adam RIPPONUSATeam North America

No.NameNationTeam
W/DMaxim KOVTUNRUSTeam Europe

Pairs:

No.NameNationTeam
1.Xuehan WANG / Lei WANGCHNTeam Asia
2.Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU AUDETJPNTeam Asia
3.Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISEITATeam Europe
4.Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOVRUSTeam Europe
5.Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORDCANTeam North America
6.Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIMUSATeam North America

No.NameNationTeam
W/DWenjing SUI / Cong HANCHNTeam Asia

Dance:

No.NameNationTeam
1.Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIUCHNTeam Asia
2.Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOVKORTeam Asia
3.Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND
GBR
Team Europe
4.Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTEITATeam Europe
5.Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJECANTeam North America
6.Madison CHOCK / Evan BATESUSATeam North America

No.NameNationTeam
W/DGabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERONFRATeam Europe

Team:

No.TeamNameNationCategory
W/DTeam AsiaWenjing SUI / Cong HANCHNPairs
W/DTeam EuropeElizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVARUSLadies
W/DTeam EuropeMaxim KOVTUNRUSMen
W/DTeam EuropeGabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERONFRADance

EDIT (19[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2016, 06:12 GMT): Replaced Maxim Kovtun with Mikhail Kolyada in the Men's Entries, and removed Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron from the Ice Dance Entries.

EDIT (19[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2016, 17:10 GMT): Added Penny Coomes / Nicholas Buckland to the Ice Dance Entries.

Let the fun begin!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
Ladies SP

1. Team Europe
2. Team Asia
3. Team North America

Men's SP

1. Team Asia
2. Team Europe
3. Team North America

Ladies FS

1. Team Europe
2. Team Asia
3. Team North America

Men's FS

1. Team Asia
2. Team North America
3. Team Europe

Pairs

1. Team North America
2. Team Europe
3. Team Asia

Ice Dance

1. Team North America
2. Team Europe
3. Team Asia

Team

1. Team North America
2. Team Europe
3. Team Asia

Individual

Men
1. Jin
2. Uno
3. Kolyada
4. Ten
5. Brown
6. Rippon

Ladies
1. Medvedeva
2. Gold
3. Miyahara
4. Wagner
5. Radionova
6. Hongo

Dance
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Chock/Bates
3. Capellini/Lanotte
4. Coomes/Buckland
5. Wang/Liu
6. Kim/Minov

Pairs
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Stolbova/Klimov
3. Scimeca/Knierim
4. Wang/Wang
5. Della Monica/Guarise
6. Soto/Boudreau-Audet

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Singles
1. Team Europe
2. Team Asia
3. Team North America

Dance
1. Team Europe
2. Team North America
3. Team Asia

Pairs
1. Team North America
2. Team Europe
3. Team Asia

Individual

Men
1. Jin
2. Uno
3. Kolyada
4. Rippon
5. Ten
6. Brown

Ladies
1. Medvedeva
2. Miyahara
3. Gold
4. Wagner
5. Radionova
6. Hongo

Dance
1. Chock/Bates
2. Capellini/Lanotte
3. Weaver/Poje
4. Kim/Minov
5. Wang/Liu

Since we don't know who will replace P/C, this is it for now.

Pairs
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Stolbova/Klimov
3. Scimeca/Knierim
4. Della Monica/Guarise
5. Wang/Wang
6. Soto/Boudreau-Audet

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Okay, team predictions. Might do individual later.

Men:

1. Asia
2. North America
3. Europe

Ladies:

1. Asia
2. Europe
3. North America

Pairs:

1. North America
2. Europe
3. Asia

Dance:

1. North America
2. Europe
3. Asia

And individuals:

Men:

1. Jin
2. Uno
3. Rippon
4. Kolyada
5. Brown
6. Ten

Ladies:

1. Medvedeva
2. Miyahara
3. Wagner
4. Gold
5. Radionova
6. Hongo

Pairs:

1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Stolbova/Klimov
3. Scimeca/Knierim
4. Della-Monica/Guarise
5. Wang/Wang
6. Suto/Audet

Dance:

1. Chock/Bates
2. Weaver/Poje
3. Cappellini/Lannote
4. Coomes/Buckland
5. Wang/Liu
6. Kim/Minov

:scratch:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
(or are we making predictions on individual's ranking?)

Oops. Sorry, I forgot that there was a debate over how to approach making predictions on the TCC.

Personally, I would prefer to do individuals. But, I have read the rules in each day's competition thread, and I can't understand how it works at all.

So, in light of this, I think this might be the best compromise:

1. Provisionally make predictions on the skaters in each category (Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance) as we normally do.
  2. Make predictions on the overall Team result, just like we do with the WTT.

If it is not possible to work out proper results for each category, then we will forget about the category predictions, and only score the Team predictions.

If it is possible to work out proper results for each category, then we will score the category predictions as well as the Team predictions

(And if the organisers don't give us results tables, I will make results tables out myself, just like I did with the WTT last year).

I don't like there being so many question marks about the scoring, but what can you do? The format of the event is just too confusing.

I'm telling you, the way this this whole event is being run is a total disaster.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In case the summary below is helpful, TCC prize money will be awarded for the following:

Friday:

- Team results for Singles SPs (combination of results for men and ladies; details below)
- Individual man (out of all nine entries) with highest SP score
- Individual lady (out of all nine entries) with highest SP score​

Saturday

- Team results (combination of results for FD + results of free skates for men, ladies, and pairs)
- Individual pair (out of all six entries) with highest FS score
- Individual dance couple (out of all six entries) with highest FD score​

But all of that said, of course I realize that the categories for the GS predictions game do not have to follow the TCC prize structure.
(I do not have a dog in the hunt. I am not playing the game.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Additional notes re the TCC format:

- Friday's SP results (both team and individual) do not carry over whatsoever to Saturday.
- And the prize money for Friday's three categories is separate from the prize money for Saturday's three categories.

- Friday's team SP results are based on placement points awarded within three flights.
(Each flight has one man and one lady from each team. Top man in each flight earns 12 placement points; 2nd place = 10 pts.; 3rd = 8 pts. Ditto for ladies.)​
- Placement points from all three men and all three ladies on each team count toward the Friday team SP results.

- Saturday's team FD/FS results are based on scores. And for each team:
The lower of the two scores for the FD do not count; same for the pairs FS.
And the lowest of the three scores for the men's FS do not count; same for the ladies FS.​

ETA:

Per USFS: Kovtun has withdrawn; Kolyada replaces him on Team Europe.

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/722083211946303489 (Apr 18)​

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, this is getting to be a right mess, with constantly changing personnel in the teams.

I've updated the Entry lists in the Original Post with what we know at the moment - that Kovtun has been replaced with Kolyada, and that Papadakis / Cizeron are out.

Starting to think it was a mistake to make predictions on the individual skaters...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In case the summary below is helpful, TCC prize money will be awarded for the following:

Friday:

- Team results for Singles SPs (combination of results for men and ladies; details below)
- Individual man (out of all nine entries) with highest SP score
- Individual lady (out of all nine entries) with highest SP score​

Saturday

- Team results (combination of results for FD + results of free skates for men, ladies, and pairs)
- Individual pair (out of all six entries) with highest FS score
- Individual dance couple (out of all six entries) with highest FD score​

But all of that said, of course I realize that the categories for the GS predictions game do not have to follow the TCC prize structure.
(I do not have a dog in the hunt. I am not playing the game.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Additional notes re the TCC format:

- Friday's SP results (both team and individual) do not carry over whatsoever to Saturday.
- And the prize money for Friday's three categories is separate from the prize money for Saturday's three categories.

- Friday's team SP results are based on placement points awarded within three flights.
(Each flight has one man and one lady from each team. Top man in each flight earns 12 placement points; 2nd place = 10 pts.; 3rd = 8 pts. Ditto for ladies.)​
- Placement points from all three men and all three ladies on each team count toward the Friday team SP results.

- Saturday's team FD/FS results are based on scores. And for each team:
The lower of the two scores for the FD do not count; same for the pairs FS.
And the lowest of the three scores for the men's FS do not count; same for the ladies FS.​

Thank you, Golden! :bow: :bow: :bow:

You know, I read through the posts in the competition threads a few times yesterday, and thought I had finally got my head around it. I thought "Aha! It's a normal 2 round competition for the Singles skaters, and just a FS for the couples. Unfair, but straightforward enough."

And then I read your post.

So, the SP scores don't carry forward. :unsure: Well, what is the point in having the SP, then?! They may as well have it as just a Free Skate competition, like the Japan Open!

I know I've said it before in the thread in The Edge, but the more I find out about this event, the less I like it.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK. In light of recent (and not-so-recent) developments, I have been thinking.

Firstly, since the teams seem to have revolving doors, I think we should just abandon the idea of predicting on the order the individual skaters finish in for each category, and instead predict on the order that the teams finish in for each category.

Secondly, since only the Singles skaters have an SP, and since the scores don't carry forward, I propose that we predict on the FS results only.

So, in essence, we will have 5 lists composed of the same 3 names.

Here is an example of how the predictions would look:

TEAM CHALLENGE CUP

Ladies FS

1. Team Future
2. Team Desire
3. Team Discovery

Men's FS

1. Team Discovery
2. Team Desire
3. Team Future

Pairs

1. Team Future
2. Team Desire
3. Team Discovery

Ice Dance

1. Team Desire
2. Team Discovery
3. Team Future

Team

1. Team Desire
2. Team Future
3. Team Discovery​

(I have used the names of the Top 3 teams overall in the YOG Team Event, so that the scorers don't mistakingly think that these are my predictions!)

Or, to put it another way, I am now proposing that we do what Golden suggested we should do for the TCC back in January, when the ISU Predictions Game was being set up...! :slink:

It just goes to show - Golden really does know best! :bow: :clap: :points:

Sorry that this round of the Predictions Game is becoming a joke. But, what do you expect when the event itself is as well...

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OK. In light of recent (and not-so-recent) developments, I have been thinking.

Firstly, since the teams seem to have revolving doors, I think we should just abandon the idea of predicting on the order the individual skaters finish in for each category, and instead predict on the order that the teams finish in for each category.

Secondly, since only the Singles skaters have an SP, and since the scores don't carry forward, I propose that we predict on the FS results only.

So, in essence, we will have 5 lists composed of the same 3 names.

Here is an example of how the predictions would look:

TEAM CHALLENGE CUP

Ladies FS

1. Team Future
2. Team Desire
3. Team Discovery

Men's FS

1. Team Discovery
2. Team Desire
3. Team Future

Pairs

1. Team Future
2. Team Desire
3. Team Discovery

Ice Dance

1. Team Desire
2. Team Discovery
3. Team Future

Team

1. Team Desire
2. Team Future
3. Team Discovery​

(I have used the names of the Top 3 teams overall in the YOG Team Event, so that the scorers don't mistakingly think that these are my predictions!)

Or, to put it another way, I am now proposing that we do what Golden suggested we should do for the TCC back in January, when the ISU Predictions Game was being set up...! :slink:

It just goes to show - Golden really does know best! :bow: :clap: :points:

Sorry that this round of the Predictions Game is becoming a joke. But, what do you expect when the event itself is as well...

CaroLiza_fan

Huge disclaimer that my proposal for how to structure the TCC game in fact would differ greatly from CL_fan's.

But what exactly I would have proposed is best left unsaid, b/c I certainly am not running the TCC game.
(And b/c as usual, I am not going to play the TCC game. I have never participated in any of the GS predictions game.)

As I said before, I do not have a dog in this hunt. :)

As always, massive respect to CL_fan for working so hard on organizing so many GS prediction games.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Huge disclaimer that my proposal for how to structure the TCC game in fact would differ greatly from CL_fan's.

But what exactly I would have proposed is best left unsaid, b/c I certainly am not running the TCC game.
(And b/c as usual, I am not going to play the TCC game. I have never participated in any of the GS predictions game.)

As I said before, I do not have a dog in this hunt. :)

As always, massive respect to CL_fan for working so hard on organizing so many GS prediction games.

OK, so my proposal is not eactly the same. But, it was inspired greatly by your's.

You realised way back then that running the predictions on the TCC the same way as the WTT was not going to work (probably because you understood the rules of the event, while I didn't). And you were the one that suggested having separate predictions for the SP and the FS.

The only major changes I made were to do away with predicting on the SP, and to keep the separate category predictions.

So, in my books, you do deserve a good chunk of the credit!

Incidentally, except that it would leave the players that wanted to make predictions disappointed, I would have just scrapped the TCC round completely. That is how fed up I am getting with everything to do with the TCC!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The only major changes I made were to do away with predicting on the SP, and to keep the separate category predictions.

So, in my books, you do deserve a good chunk of the credit!

Actually, I have additional differences in mind, so I really want to respectfully dissociate myself completely from your proposal -- without undermining it.

The one thing on which I think we are in agreement is that the complexities of the TCC competition format are overshadowing its innovations.

[Inevitable that the large number of details would be counterproductive. Surprised that the TCC organizers did not anticipate that the long list of rules would dampen enthusiasm for their new comp.]

ETA, this morning USFS officially announced that Coomes/Buckland are replacing P/C:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Actually, I have additional differences in mind, so I really want to respectfully dissociate myself completely from your proposal -- without undermining it.

The one thing on which I think we are in agreement is that the complexities of the TCC competition format are overshadowing its innovations.

[Inevitable that the large number of details would be counterproductive. Surprised that the TCC organizers did not anticipate that the long list of rules would dampen enthusiasm for their new comp.]

Well, hopefully now that this format has proved so unpopular, the powers that be will take the rules back to something more along the lines of the WTT format for the next edition. (And I really hope there will be a next edition, because I do like the idea of a team competition based on continents).

ETA, this morning USFS officially announced that Coomes/Buckland are replacing P/C:

Thanks, I'll update the tables now.

CaroLiza_fan

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't really understand this event or how it will be scored but here are my picks. I do think Gracie will come roaring back here and place second after being angry at herself for her sub par Worlds performance.

Ladies FS
1. Team Europe
2. Team Asia
3. Team North America

Men's FS

1. Team Asia
2. Team Europe
3. Team North America

Dance
1. Team North America
2. Team Europe
3. Team Asia

Pairs
1. Team North America
2. Team Europe
3. Team Asia

Overall
1) Team Europe
2) Team North America
3) Team Asia

Skaters just for fun....

Men
1. Jin
2. Uno
3. Kolyada
4. Rippon
5. Brown
6. Ten

Ladies
1. Medvedeva
2. Gold
3. Wagner
4. Miyahara
5. Radionova
6. Hongo

Dance
1. Chock/Bates
2. Weaver/Poje
3. Capellini/Lanotte
4. Coomes/Buckland
5. Wang/Liu
6. Kim/Minov

Pairs
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Stolbova/Klimov
3. Scimeca/Knierim
4. Della Monica/Guarise
5. Wang/Wang
6. Soto/Boudreau-Audet

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Men
1. Jin
2. Uno
3. Ten
4. Rippon
5. Kolyada
6. Brown

Ladies
1. Medvedeva
2. Radionova
3. Miyahara
4. Hongo
5. Wagner
6. Gold

Dance
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Capellini/Lanotte
3. Chock/Bates
4. Coomes/Buckland
5. Kim/Minov
6. Wang/Liu

Pairs
1. Stolbova/Klimov
2. Duhamel/Radford
3. Scimeca/Knierim
4. Wang/Wang
5. Della Monica/Guarise
6. Soto/Boudreau-Audet

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Men
1. Jin Boyang
2. Shoma Uno
3. M. Koliada
4. J. Brown
5. A. Rippon

Ladies
1. Medvedeva
2. Rdionova
3. Hongo
4. Miyahara
5. Wagner
6. Gold

Dance
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Capellini/Lanotte
3. Chock/Bates
4. Coomes/Buckland
5. Kim/Minov
6. Wang/Liu

Pairs
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Stolbova/Klimov
3. Wang/ Wang
4. Scimeca/Knerim
5. Della Monica/ Guarise
6. Soto/Boudreau-Audet

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
before we make predictions i want to be sure which format we are gonna use. CaroLiza, is new format at THIS POST final?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
before we make predictions i want to be sure which format we are gonna use. CaroLiza, is new format at THIS POST final?

Yes.

Apart from anything else, I thought it would be fairer on the early posters to do it that way, since that was how they posted their predictions.

But everybody that has been posting since then is doing it the original way!

Given that this is becoming such a mess, I think we should just declare it a non-scoring round.

And when the competition is over, I'll prepare tables of results for all the different ways that the predictions are being made.

(I should add - I will be away at a motorbike race on Saturday. So, it won't be done until Sunday at the earliest)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So no individual predictions, just teams?

Yeah. Instead of the skaters in each of the 5 categories, it will be the three teams in each of the 5 categories.

It was getting far too complicated with the strange format, and with the personnel of the teams changing.

I would have preferred predicting on the individual skaters, but hey!

CaroLiza_fan