2016 Finlandia Trophy Tickets | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Tickets

gotoschool

Medalist
Wow, it will be great to read your live reports and firsthand observations! Too bad you won't make it to the SP, but it'll be such a treat to see the debut of Mao's long program in person.

Do you think you might go to Trophée de France in December as well ?

I bought the airplane tickets, so I am all in. Yes, even though I am really excited about going to see the debut of Mao's LP (I will keep some blood pressure medication handy), I am disappointed about missing the SP, but I think it is too risky and expensive to take off work for a figure skating competition. My boss would probably put me in the dog house. It was also the really good seats that got me, since they were better than anything else available at the other competitions.

I thought about Trophee de France but there is no way to see that competition without taking off from work and my pocketbook has already taken a big hit.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
but I think it is too risky and expensive to take off work for a figure skating competition. My boss would probably put me in the dog house. It was also the really good seats that got me, since they were better than anything else available at the other competitions.

I thought about Trophee de France but there is no way to see that competition without taking off from work and my pocketbook has already taken a big hit.
Haha! These days, pretty much all of my vacation days from work are for figure skating competitions...! And yes, it eats up most of our money too... ;_;

I agree about being able to get good seats at Finlandia. It's a great venue, good view from anywhere, friendly atmosphere, facilities are good... and even the times that Hanyu went there, it was still pretty easy to get front-row seats. (And front-row at Finlandia is as close as you'll ever get to the ice - seats go right down to the boards...)

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Haha! These days, pretty much all of my vacation days from work are for figure skating competitions...! And yes, it eats up most of our money too... ;_;

I agree about being able to get good seats at Finlandia. It's a great venue, good view from anywhere, friendly atmosphere, facilities are good... and even the times that Hanyu went there, it was still pretty easy to get front-row seats. (And front-row at Finlandia is as close as you'll ever get to the ice - seats go right down to the boards...)

Well actually I am avoiding missing any work days, but the temptation is certainly there. I wanted to ask your opinion of taking photos and or recording performances. I have only been to one figure skating show which was Ice Legends. So, sometimes I am unsure of rules and etiquette. Are spectators at Finlandia allowed to take photos or videos of performances at Finlandia? Even if it is allowed, do you think it is polite to take photos or video tape a performance especially when someone is sitting really close- like on the front row- because the skater may be more likely to be distracted and may make a mistake? I noticed another disadvantage at Ice Legends is that by taking photos or videos especially with small cameras or iphones, the grand view and immediacy of watching live is lost to a large extent, though of course the compensation is having the great videos and photos.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Well actually I am avoiding missing any work days, but the temptation is certainly there. I wanted to ask your opinion of taking photos and or recording performances. I have only been to one figure skating show which was Ice Legends. So, sometimes I am unsure of rules and etiquette. Are spectators at Finlandia allowed to take photos or videos of performances at Finlandia? Even if it is allowed, do you think it is polite to take photos or video tape a performance especially when someone is sitting really close- like on the front row- because the skater may be more likely to be distracted and may make a mistake? I noticed another disadvantage at Ice Legends is that by taking photos or videos especially with small cameras or iphones, the grand view and immediacy of watching live is lost to a large extent, though of course the compensation is having the great videos and photos.
Photography and video recording is normally allowed at Finlandia.

I don't usually record video myself. Videoing a performance with a handheld camcorder pretty much requires you to watch the whole thing on a tiny screen. And when there are TV broadcasts and/or live streaming... I personally don't think it's worth it. Results are hardly ever as good as the "official" video. In my opinion, better to watch "properly" with your eyes on the skater! And view/download the official videos later...

I would consider recording practice sessions though, or competitions that have no streaming - for the benefit of others who can't be there themselves and have no other way to see them.

I do take photos. But again, I try to watch as much as possible "live" rather than through the viewfinder... and resist "chimping" (ie. when a photographer examines each shot after taking it, thereby missing half of the performance and its photograpahic opportunities). I basically watch the performance by peeping over the top of my camera... so it only takes a very small quick movement, to bring the viewfinder to my eye when I want to take photos.

I don't think Finlandia have any particular rules regarding what is considered "polite" etc...

Personally, I just try to be as discreet and unobtrusive as I can. The cameras I use are moderately expensive and quite high performance - but they are also compact and above all, quiet

I used film SLRs for decades, and DSLR's after that - but my view is that sitting amongst an indoor sports arena audience is no place for that type of camera. They're typically very noisy, and often have a lens attached that's so big it obstructs the view for others... and makes people next to them sit uncomfortably, trying to avoid getting smacked in the face by it. People that are so "pro" that they need to use such cameras... should get a media pass and stand in the areas reserved for the press!

I consider it rude and inconsiderate to use those cameras among the audience. Doubly so, if the owner thinks their big camera somehow entitles them to annoy others around them o_O

Similarly, videographers who expect everybody nearby, to remain motionless and silent (do not clap or cheer, do not speak to your companions, do not wave flags or banners, visit toilet etc. A standing ovation is obviously out of the question!)... all because it will spoil their "perfect" video. This is unreasonable. I mean, people paid good money to enjoy themselves at a sporting event - they simply can't be expected to behave with such restraint!

iPads and similar large tablets can also be bad in my opinion - when people hold them out with cover hanging down, it can severely obstruct the view for others...

I think most skaters are used to media attention, and people rinkside going about their business while they are skating. So I don't think they get affected by cameras in the audience etc. Actually some of them will even "showboat" for you during practices if they happen to notice you LOL.

Obviously though - do not use camera flash.
Or "autofocus assist beam" (intense red light).
Or the intense white light beam that some camcorders have.

People who don't know how to turn those things off (or not even aware when they are on)... should really just leave their cameras at home :-/ Flash etc generally won't work at the distances involved anyway, so they're liable to make photos/videos worse not better...

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
So now we have confirmation of another entry: Patrick Chan!!!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I KNOW! Aren't we spoiled!
Where is it confirmed?

I'm not a "fan" of Chan myself - but he IS one of the best in the world, his skating is undeniably impressive... and it's quite something that Finlandia is adding both Asada and Chan to their already-impressive list of elite skaters that have competed there...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
OK. Now I have to revisit my ludicrous theory, that a certain other skater might also go to Finlandia... because that skater seems to love going to the same competitions as Chan, to compete against him... perhaps not so ludicrous after all...?! ;-D

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yuzu?

i am hoping he goes to autumn classic... it's in my town for once and i wanna see some great skaters... lol
OK. Now I have to revisit my ludicrous theory, that a certain other skater might also go to Finlandia... because that skater seems to love going to the same competitions as Chan, to compete against him... perhaps not so ludicrous after all...?! ;-D

TMC

Record Breaker
Where is it confirmed?

I'm not a "fan" of Chan myself - but he IS one of the best in the world, his skating is undeniably impressive... and it's quite something that Finlandia is adding both Asada and Chan to their already-impressive list of elite skaters that have competed there...

I'm not a fan as such, but I'm hoping to become one ;) In any case, I'm just looking forward to seeing those skating skills in person!

I think these skaters are beginning to prove true my theory about wanting to do Finlandia because Worlds will be here! :laugh:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
yuzu?

i am hoping he goes to autumn classic... it's in my town for once and i wanna see some great skaters... lol
Closing date for Autumn Classic entries was last Friday, so hopefully we'll soon find out who's going there... (and anybody going to AC is unlikely to go to Finlandia too... so it helps with the Finlandia guesswork...)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you also get V/M :) they are doing both autumn classic and finlandia. Mango pointed that out to me and it's IFS who posted it on their page....

TMC

Record Breaker
you also get V/M :) they are doing both autumn classic and finlandia. Mango pointed that out to me and it's IFS who posted it on their page....

Really?? Wow this event is going to be awesome!!!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Wow. Back to back, AC one week and Finlandia the next?

I always find Finlandia a good competition, but this year is turning out to be really exceptional...! So many World and Olympic champions and medallists...!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm guessing V/M are doing two Challnegrs for ranking points. They now has 0 points and by winning two events (if they manage to do it) they would gain quite much. But I was sure Weaver/Poje would do Finlandia. I'm not really happy about what Skate Canada is doing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i have no idea where weapo are going... it could be nepela.. it could still be finlandia. the back to back competitions for VM is no big deal since the first one is in Montreal, where they train... they will simply use it as a run through before going to Finland...
I'm guessing V/M are doing two Challnegrs for ranking points. They now has 0 points and by winning two events (if they manage to do it) they would gain quite much. But I was sure Weaver/Poje would do Finlandia. I'm not really happy about what Skate Canada is doing.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
i have no idea where weapo are going... it could be nepela.. it could still be finlandia. the back to back competitions for VM is no big deal since the first one is in Montreal, where they train... they will simply use it as a run through before going to Finland...

Well, considering Skate Canada didn't want to put V/M and W/P together at Skate Canada I thouhgt the won't do that for Challenger either, but who knows. Still, I don't think it would be good idea...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am guessing nepela for weapo... nobody is talking about that one... i wonder why.
Well, considering Skate Canada didn't want to put V/M and W/P together at Skate Canada I thouhgt the won't do that for Challenger either, but who knows. Still, I don't think it would be good idea...