2016 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I thought Pogrebinsky and Benoit's programs were generic. The elements didn't go with the music, the holds were pretty open, and I'm still not sure how a Russian opera aria about India (with almost no eastern music influences) and a Middle Eastern fusion pop piece from a movie about Jesus somehow come together to depict a Persian love story.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I thought Pogrebinsky and Benoit's programs were generic. The elements didn't go with the music, the holds were pretty open, and I'm still not sure how a Russian opera aria about India (with almost no eastern music influences) and a Middle Eastern fusion pop piece from a movie about Jesus somehow come together to depict a Persian love story.

You talk as though any of these things really, really matter in ice dance. :confused2:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Is it not possible to praise the junior US dance teams without putting down junior dancers from other countries? These guys are mostly kids, at different stages in their development, trying their best. I don't think anyone skates poorly on purpose.

I was not putting down the teams from other countries. I said challenge, not defeat.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
You talk as though any of these things really, really matter in ice dance. :confused2:

You're right. All that matters is they train with Igor ergo, their programs are masterpieces. Who cares about seamless choreography, elements going with the music. Only that no name French pair up in Canada...

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
You're right. All that matters is they train with Igor ergo, their programs are masterpieces. Who cares about seamless choreography, elements going with the music. Only that no name French pair up in Canada...

I know this might sound strange, but while I respect what P/C do, I find them monotonous and dull at times. There are performances I've liked from them but that's about it. Just my opinion though. I found their programs from 2015 and even 2014 a lot more interesting. :popcorn:

Their team mates also have a similar effect on me. I must say I've always had a soft spot for P/I though, their WE program I just absolutely loved as well as their TONIGHT and Cassablanca programs. I just like programs with a bit more grit and texture. But hey different strokes for different folks. Diaz and Smart however are a welcome change. Loved their Tina Turner SD cannot watch their FD in its entirety in one sitting, absolutely bored to pieces.

Remember though it's just July and while I liked what I saw at Lake Placid from Igor's group I don't think I said the word masterpiece even once.;)

Finally TBH, I think at these last worlds my favourite "dance" program was the SP of Sui and Han.:bed:

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I was not putting down the teams from other countries. I said challenge, not defeat.

Well then I guess these US junior ice dancers can challenge the entire ice dance podium of 2016 World Figure Skating Championships. There's no limit to who they can challenge, is there? :think:

Axelsk8r

Rinkside
I was in Chesapeake in June... that SD is not the same... they changed it. The one I saw had hip hop cutting in the middle of the blues... kind of weird :dance 3:
So I like this program more... I agree it needs more mileage

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There's no limit to who they can challenge, is there? :think:

My comparisons were based on actual competitive results, mainly placements. Though especially with young teams, there is always the potential for great improvement between seasons and also the potential for new teams to surprise on the JGP. I'm very much looking forward to seeing which teams from different countries surprise us this season. A couple of the teams I enjoyed watching for the first time over the past week included Lopareva & Karpushov and Wu & Mirzakhani. Both were entertaining. Though Loboda & Drozd are my favorite non-American junior dance team at the moment.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

If you look up "Ice Dancing" in Roget's Thesaurus, the first term you will find listed as a synonym is "Cognitive Dissonance."

Just sayin'...

:hap57:

PS to Ice Dance, I totally agree with you about L/D. Best non-American junior ID team by far.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I know this might sound strange, but while I respect what P/C do, I find them monotonous and dull at times. There are performances I've liked from them but that's about it. Just my opinion though. I found their programs from 2015 and even 2014 a lot more interesting. :popcorn:

Their team mates also have a similar effect on me. I must say I've always had a soft spot for P/I though, their WE program I just absolutely loved as well as their TONIGHT and Cassablanca programs. I just like programs with a bit more grit and texture. But hey different strokes for different folks. Diaz and Smart however are a welcome change. Loved their Tina Turner SD cannot watch their FD in its entirety in one sitting, absolutely bored to pieces.

Remember though it's just July and while I liked what I saw at Lake Placid from Igor's group I don't think I said the word masterpiece even once.;)

Finally TBH, I think at these last worlds my favourite "dance" program was the SP of Sui and Han.:bed:

I have to agree with this about P/C. And I have been one of their biggest fans, cheerleaders on this board since their days as Juniors. But I think a strong case could be made that their programs are becoming LESS interesting over time, far less daring. I thought last year's FD was a snooze-fest choreographically until the straight line lift. And the Mozart piece, exquisite as it was, was also pretty much a transcription of its modern ballet source material.

Really, they are becoming a textbook case of Talent making mediocre material look far far far far far better than it is.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I have to agree with this about P/C. And I have been one of their biggest fans, cheerleaders on this board since their days as Juniors. But I think a strong case could be made that their programs are becoming LESS interesting over time, far less daring. I thought last year's FD was a snooze-fest choreographically until the straight line lift. And the Mozart piece, exquisite as it was, was also pretty much a transcription of its modern ballet source material.

Really, they are becoming a textbook case of Talent making mediocre material look far far far far far better than it is.

I hope they add some spice this season please, pretty please? But if Cizeron continues to wear those snug costumes the judges just might not care. He is a beautiful piece of eye candy that moves very, very well. Don't hate me, just had to get that off my chest.:biggrin: