2016 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I guess people do not care about beautiful posture anymore because McNamara's is awful in that SD (not as bad as Anna Cappelini's but ...)

moon

On the Ice
I think some people mistakingly believe that kind of posture as having attack or looking aggressive. It's really just bad posture

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with the poster that the Parsons had the better SD out of the two. They did a decent job incorporating the hip-hop movements.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

thanks so much for posting! :)

I'm not sure I'm feeling the music for Anthony and Christina's short dance. I think they should change the music.
Their free dance music is beautiful, but besides that rotational lift in the beginning which was gorgeous, their choreography is really lacking. But this program has a lot of potential. :)

I loved Smart and Diaz short program.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
thanks so much for posting! :)
I'm not sure I'm feeling the music for Anthony and Christina's short dance. I think they should change the music.
Their free dance music is beautiful, but besides that rotational lift in the beginning which was gorgeous, their choreography is really lacking. But this program has a lot of potential. :)
I agree that maybe Christina and Anthony wanted to look mature in SD, but it didn't actually worked. But I don't like in general when skaters try to look much older than they are, and chose music and costumes not for their age. FD is very good.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I agree that maybe Christina and Anthony wanted to look mature in SD, but it didn't actually worked. But I don't like in general when skaters try to look much older than they are, and chose music and costumes not for their age. FD is very good.

I agree:) sometimes I can't help but think Igor is losing his creativity. The coaching team that coaches parson siblings and m/c seem to be doing a much better job than Igor's team. Or maybe Igor and marina were just lucky to have such amazing talent like Meryl charlie Tessa Scott. But I can tell between the teams of two coaching teams (team that coaches m/c and Parsons, Igor team) the differences in skating: the former more creative technically and artistically, as most of their up and coming pupils have smooth edges, transitions, etc, better than the the ladder. Does anyone agree Igor team getting out coached?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I guess people do not care about beautiful posture anymore because McNamara's is awful in that SD (not as bad as Anna Cappelini's but ...)

"The people" who highly appreciate creativity of M/C may or may not be satisfied with whoever your favorites present on ice.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
I agree:) sometimes I can't help but think Igor is losing his creativity. The coaching team that coaches parson siblings and m/c seem to be doing a much better job than Igor's team. Or maybe Igor and marina were just lucky to have such amazing talent like Meryl charlie Tessa Scott. But I can tell between the teams of two coaching teams (team that coaches m/c and Parsons, Igor team) the differences in skating: the former more creative technically and artistically, as most of their up and coming pupils have smooth edges, transitions, etc, better than the the ladder. Does anyone agree Igor team getting out coached?
The coaches at Wheaton take them very young and bring them along. Some of their teams have been together for years. Igor on the other hand gets them at all stages in their career. For instance Christina came to him after 6 years in canada with another partner and Anthony had been with his partner for a few years. This is their 3rd season together and I think they look pretty good. Ellie and Alex are starting their 3rd season together. He came with one year experience at dance. Joti and Kavita were amazing in their first year together. And it was his first year ice dancing.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
The coaches at Wheaton take them very young and bring them along. Some of their teams have been together for years. Igor on the other hand gets them at all stages in their career. For instance Christina came to him after 6 years in canada with another partner and Anthony had been with his partner for a few years. This is their 3rd season together and I think they look pretty good. Ellie and Alex are starting their 3rd season together. He came with one year experience at dance. Joti and Kavita were amazing in their first year together. And it was his first year ice dancing.

And not to beat the horse to death but Wheaton has no senior team ever tho M/C have been junior for years and won everything. On the other hand Igor has maybe 6 teams looking at the olympics and he had more teams at worlds than any other coach.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watched a couple of the short dances.

Parsons were unique and fun. I liked it.

Young Ponomerenko is wonderful. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

yes, you make a great point. I noticed the coaches at wheaton have very young pupils. You know, in my opinion, I truly believe Parsons and M/C are ready for seniors. Why are they still in juniors? And Igor's team of Alex and Ellie are ready for seniors too, I don't know why they remain as juniors.

I'm really looking forward to Anthony and Christina's progress. I just rewatched their FD and enjoyed it even more. But I think there is still a lot they can improve on their FD:_

Lutzlvr

Rinkside
yes, you make a great point. I noticed the coaches at wheaton have very young pupils. You know, in my opinion, I truly believe Parsons and M/C are ready for seniors. Why are they still in juniors? And Igor's team of Alex and Ellie are ready for seniors too, I don't know why they remain as juniors.

I'm really looking forward to Anthony and Christina's progress. I just rewatched their FD and enjoyed it even more. But I think there is still a lot they can improve on their FD:_

I think P&B are competing as seniors this year. M&C have been juniors for a loooong time.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
I agree:) sometimes I can't help but think Igor is losing his creativity. The coaching team that coaches parson siblings and m/c seem to be doing a much better job than Igor's team.
I agree, all short dances made by Igor (at this event) look a bit old-fashioned, common, not really interesting. We've already seen it so many times! Lifts that someone already used etc, quite the same twizzles. Maybe, he gave all his attention and creativity to senior teams? But in my opinion it's impossible to make interesting, new stuff for all your skaters, when you have so many skaters in your group. it's like wholesale products, can't be compared with exclusive.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I was actually impressed with what I saw from team Igor looking at both SD and FD for the teams and the places they are in their careers. He must be doing something right because almost all his teams took home medals. I especially liked the work he did for Yura Min and partner for the FD. So I'll have to respectfully disagree with the negative sentiments expressed here.

Last edited:

dancergrl

Rinkside
I was actually impressed with what I saw from team Igor looking at both SD and FD for the teams and the places they are in their careers. He must be doing something right because almost all his teams took home medals. I especially liked the work he did for Yura Min and partner for the FD. So I'll have to respectfully disagree with the negative sentiments expressed here.

I agree. creativity for creativity's sake does not mean its better. most of the wheaton kids doing hip hop should not have been as it wasn't a natural or flattering style for them

Giselle

Medalist
I think P&B are competing as seniors this year. M&C have been juniors for a loooong time.

Pogrebinsky & Benoit are indeed competing as seniors this season even if they still have one year of junior eligibility left. They were assigned to a senior GP (Rostelecom in november).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
ROTFL. Are we going to be having this same club rivalry conversation every time these current junior teams compete against each other over the next decade?

The two clubs are different, which is a PLUS because clearly not all athletes are the same and not all dance fans are moved in the same way. The coaches have different strengths and styles. Both are tremendous, and both are helping to develop some tremendous athletes!

Diversity on the U.S. junior dance scene is making ALL of these teams stronger. Any one of six U.S. junior dance teams at this event could challenge for a gold medal at Canadian junior nationals right now. At least three of them could challenge for gold at French junior nationals. And all of these teams are going to be a heck of a lot of fun to watch battling the slew of talented junior teams from Russia on the JGP.

The future teams of U.S. senior ice dance are coming up with the tools they need to compete internationally. Kudos to the clubs, coaches, parents, and especially the hard work from all the young athletes that is making that happen.