2016 Canadian National Summer Series | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian National Summer Series

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Disappointed in the lack of pairs - at all levels. Only 4 teams at both the pre-novice and novice level - where are all the up and coming pairs skaters?

I think because there aren't a lot of non-senior Canadian pairs in general that teams didn't sign up. Like Knoblauch/Wong competed in Detroit, but they're not on this list. I guess they're not concerned about being unable to get to Challenge. Then there's also the case that some pairs have split and one or more partners has gone into ice dance. Like Keelee Gingrich / Davin Portz. Keelee has now teamed up with Parker Brown to do ice dance. We don't really have any star pairs outside of the senior ranks, do we?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
They are training in Canada with Dubreul/Lauzon. Apparently they see it as a test skate for them.

I get them competing in Canadian events. There are skaters of various nationalities doing that. But why are they involved in the NSS? The NSS is only for Canadian athletes' development, and opportunities for a bye to Challenge. :scratch2:

seabm7

Final Flight
Moreover, the Spanish team signed only one event, while the requirement is minimum two events. So the entry table does not make sense. I suspect a mistake from the Skate Canada office.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Moreover, the Spanish team signed only one event, while the requirement is minimum two events. So the entry table does not make sense. I suspect a mistake from the Skate Canada office.

Smart & Diaz are actually signed up for the Quebec competition along with Lake Placid. So there's a mistake on the entry table either way.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Smart & Diaz are actually signed up for the Quebec competition along with Lake Placid. So there's a mistake on the entry table either way.

It's likely they signed up not realizing it was for Cdn skaters. The lists are usually generated from registrations.

(just like a SK boy signed up for Ontario Super Series in error)

trains

On the Ice
Alaine Chartrand did her short program at Minto Summerskate. It's jazzy Latin and she wore a black dress with silver sparkles. She was fabulous and scored 62 I think. She did triple lutz/triple toe (fell after the toe she got jammed) and triple loop. Unique and very very fast spins. She is so fast.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine Chartrand did her short program at Minto Summerskate. It's jazzy Latin and she wore a black dress with silver sparkles. She was fabulous and scored 62 I think. She did triple lutz/triple toe (fell after the toe she got jammed) and triple loop. Unique and very very fast spins. She is so fast.

62.....Wow....in the 60's. Hopefully that meant the 3Lz-3T was fully rotated as we know she has a bit of a tendency to do that. But hopefully that's a confidence booster for her.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Gilles/Poirier were skating! https://twitter.com/PaulDPoirier/status/759735536957333505 I wish there will be a fancam. Their score is insane!

Results from Minto Summer Skate: https://www.facebook.com/IFSmagazine/posts/10155032509732538
Wow :eek: I can't wait to see that program! :yes:

Also: when you lowkey fall and still beat your nearest competition by 17 points in the SP :laugh: :agree: After several bad skates from Alaine, it's a relief to see her scoring in the 60's again.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow :eek: I can't wait to see that program! :yes:

Also: when you lowkey fall and still beat your nearest competition by 17 points in the SP :laugh: :agree: After several bad skates from Alaine, it's a relief to see her scoring in the 60's again.

I really hope that it meant that Alaine fully rotated that 3Lz-3T. Or did well in the PCS department.

trains

On the Ice
Alaine Cartrand Minto Summerskate long program: She skated to new age style middle eastern music in a gold metallic look dress. Very fast and difficult program with 2 triple lutzes and an interesting broken leg spin with her foot higher than her head. She scored 129 points and she won the best performance award.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine Cartrand Minto Summerskate long program: She skated to new age style middle eastern music in a gold metallic look dress. Very fast and difficult program with 2 triple lutzes and an interesting broken leg spin with her foot higher than her head. She scored 129 points and she won the best performance award.

129?! That's good! Granted, maybe at the international level, it would be lower, but this is very encouraging considering that the FP sometimes can be her nemesis.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
An update on the NSS.

The rankings were updated yesterday to reflect the results of Thornhill Summer Skate. All the results are in for some levels.

Junior men are all done. Top 5 with total and individual earned scores:

1. Stephen Gogolev (371.94 = 193.32 + 178.62)
2. Conrad Orzel (341.83 = 173.94 + 167.89)
3. Eric Liu (306.59 = 165.69 + 140.90)
4. Iliya Kovler (304.65 = 163.25 + 141.40)
5. Josh Allen (303.99 = 159.81 + 144.18)

Senior dance is also done, and Smart / Diaz are actually on the list. :scratch2:

1. Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker (245.76 = 123.32 + 122.44)
2. Aya Takai / Dominic Barthe (227.04 = 117.14 + 109.90)
3. Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus (206.04 = 153.14 + 52.90)
4. Elysia-Marie Campbell / Philippe Granger (189.83 = 95.53 + 94.30)
5. Olivia Sophie Smart / Adrian Diaz (145.49)

Junior pairs also wrapped up.

1. Allison Eby / Trennt Michaud (272.87 = 144.12 + 128.75)
2. Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland (254.92 = 133.34 + 121.58)
3. Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy (225.48 = 115.27 + 110.21)

I've read elsewhere that Eby and Michaud have split. I did see Trennt at Thornhill Summer Skate but he didn't compete so I think this may be true.

The novice pairs all competed as well.

1. Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste (88.76 = 44.87 + 43.89)
2. Charlie Forest / Nathaniel Foster (75.98 = 38.28 + 37.70)
3. Emmanuelle Guay / Alexandre Roy (71.25 = 39.18 + 32.07)
4. Camille Perreault / Bryan Pierro (70.61 = 39.22 + 31.39)

Bennet Toman is leading the senior men with 356.51 points, with Keegan Messing to skate for a second time at BC Summer Skate today. Corey Circelli is leading novice men with a total of 134.55 points. Brian Chiem is leading pre-novice men (124.41 points). Carol Lane's phenomenal pre-novice dancers Shaelene Katrayan / Vladimir Tchernov (91.06) lead their category by a large margin. Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell lead novice dance (109.03). Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha (252.82) are barely edging out Hannah Whitley / Elliott Graham (252.73) with one team to skate again in junior dance. Camille Boucher (108.90) leads a pre-novice ladies category that is far from finished. Another lady from Quebec, Rosalie Vincent (141.28), leads the novice ladies though she may move to 2nd after Vasilisa Matantseva skates this weekend. Yet another Quebecois lady, Alicia Pineault (266.80) is sitting in first in junior ladies. Michelle Long (300.31) is first amongst the senior ladies, with both of the Decelles twins sitting in the top 5.