2016 Philadelphia Summer Championships | Golden Skate

2016 Philadelphia Summer Championships

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This event, formerly called "Liberty," is being held again this year at Iceworks, in Aston, PA.
July 12-17, 2016

This season, it is not on the ISU calendar, but it is a valid competition in the Canadian Summer Series, and the event is listed as sanctioned by both USFSA and Skate Canada.

3100 Dutton Mill Road | Aston, PA 19014
(610) 497-2200
IceWorks Skating Club

Entryeeze page for the event
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=71

Web Page where Results will eventually appear:
http://iceworkssc.org/liberty/?p=371

Announcement Details
http://iceworkssc.org/liberty/psc_files/2016/PSCAnnouncement2016.pdf

There are a number of events being competed here this season that I do not recall from previous seasons, including, but not limited to:

• Shadow Dance
  • Pattern Dances
  • Jump Challenges
  • Spin Challenges
  • Adult Singles
  • Showcase

Last edited:

luvsasha

Final Flight
Thank you :) Okay, wow, that is so awesome. I definitely think I'll go on Saturday then. I haven't been to a live competition in forever :biggrin:

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's still free! The program costs $5.00, but that's minimal. One thing that cracks me up in this season's program is that the ladies & men are listed as junior/senior girls & boys! Now skaters like Jimmy Ma & Emanuel Savary are not boys anymore. They're young men! Lots of upcoming skaters (not as many whose names we are as familiar with as in previous years), but still worth coming out to see! Dress warmly for the rinks there (I drove down in shorts since this weeks temps will be way up there, but I changed into long sleeves, jeans, and a lined winter jacket).

Last edited:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
It's still free! The program costs $5.00, but that's minimal. One thing that cracks me up in this season's program is that the ladies & men are listed as junior/senior girls & boys! Now skaters like Jimmy Ma & Emanuel Savary are not boys anymore. They're young men! Lots of upcoming skaters (not as many whose names we are as familiar with as in previous years), but still worth coming out to see! Dress warmly for the rinks there (I drove down in shorts since this weeks temps will be way up there, but I changed into long sleeves, jeans, and a lined winter jacket).

I remember being impressed with Jimmy and Emanuel at one of the early livestreamed competitions last year. I hope I get to see then again this year, too! :clap:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Oh, thank you! luvsasha & ruffledgrouse, were you able to make it there yesterday?

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
I went and got to see the junior ladies and senior men free.

Senior Men
1. Andrew - 3axel-turn out, 4sal-fell, 3flip, 3loop, 3lutz-3toe, 3sal, 2axel and lots of great transition to his queen program.

2. Melnik - No 3axel but had plenty of nice triples to get second place. he has nice posture and good flow throughout the program.

3. Emmanuel - 3axel, 4sal-fell, 3flip, and then started popping jumps - very slow throughout the program not the same flow or speed as Andrew.

4. Jimmy Ma - 3axel-fell, 3axel fell, 3 flip, 3 lutz then the rest of the program fell two more times and struggle to get through the rest of the program.

Junior Ladies

1. Alexa Paganini - Was very close to hitting a clean program but she doubled her last jumping pass (3sal-halfloop-3sal) she hit 3toe-3toe, 3lutz and two more 3loops. skated to nutcracker. She has zero stretch, terrible crossovers and the posture of an 80 year old lady. Not sure what she can do about it, some people are just not gifted in everything. She should do well internationally if she skates clean.

2. Beavers - this girls had a terrible skate but has tons of potential. SHe hit and miss every other elements. I tape it and I might post it later.

frida80

Record Breaker
I went and got to see the junior ladies and senior men free.

Senior Men
1. Andrew - 3axel-turn out, 4sal-fell, 3flip, 3loop, 3lutz-3toe, 3sal, 2axel and lots of great transition to his queen program.

2. Melnik - No 3axel but had plenty of nice triples to get second place. he has nice posture and good flow throughout the program.

3. Emmanuel - 3axel, 4sal-fell, 3flip, and then started popping jumps - very slow throughout the program not the same flow or speed as Andrew.

4. Jimmy Ma - 3axel-fell, 3axel fell, 3 flip, 3 lutz then the rest of the program fell two more times and struggle to get through the rest of the program.

Junior Ladies

1. Alexa Paganini - Was very close to hitting a clean program but she doubled her last jumping pass (3sal-halfloop-3sal) she hit 3toe-3toe, 3lutz and two more 3loops. skated to nutcracker. She has zero stretch, terrible crossovers and the posture of an 80 year old lady. Not sure what she can do about it, some people are just not gifted in everything. She should do well internationally if she skates clean.

2. Beavers - this girls had a terrible skate but has tons of potential. SHe hit and miss every other elements. I tape it and I might post it later.

I wondered how Haley and Alexia did. I'm curious what you meant by zero stretch. Do you mean extensions or flexibility? I agree that she needs to work on the quality of her presentation if she wants a higher pcs.

Bad luck for Haley. She'll be at glacier falls. Hopefully her program will be settled by then. Otherwise, she's in for a rough JGP. The pressure just makes things worse for newbies.

Looking forward to the video.

Edit: Judy realized that Alexia deliberately doubled that last combo otherwise she would've Zayaked. She did the same thing last season. If she missed her opening combs, she had another 3+3 combo just in case. A score of 97 is nothing to sneeze at. She can't win against teams Russia/Japan yet, but maybe next year.

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
Edit: Judy realized that Alexia deliberately doubled that last combo otherwise she would've Zayaked. She did the same thing last season. If she missed her opening combs, she had another 3+3 combo just in case. A score of 97 is nothing to sneeze at. She can't win against teams Russia/Japan yet, but maybe next year.[/QUOTE]

How would doing a 3sal-halfloop-3sal cause her to Zayak?

I will send the video to TSL to post.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How would doing a 3sal-halfloop-3sal cause her to Zayak?

I will send the video to TSL to post.

Cause if she did a 3t-3t and two 3Lo, she has reached the max of triples she can repeat. (Two). As pointed out if she missed the 3t-3t, she could do the 3S -3s combo instead

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
You can only repeat two triples a. Of she did two 3t and two 3lo, then she couldn't do the last combo.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Interesting to see Dalia Rivkin on the list, even if it was just an SP. Haven't seen her name in a while.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
^ Oh, thank you! luvsasha & ruffledgrouse, were you able to make it there yesterday?

No, wrong corner of the country :cry:. What I meant was I hope Jimmy Ma and Emanuel Savary skate at another livestreamed comp this year.

Thanks for the summary, MasterB! I'm sorry to hear about the rough skates, but it's still early...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few impressions: I really enjoyed Alexia's programs (I can't comment on the technical elements). Jimmy Ma had a great time doing his short program. Andrew Torgashev is back! :love: I wonder (and hope) Emanuel will be able to land his jumps (how much of it is related to his growth spurt over the last few seasons?). Very impressed with Francesca Chiera (senior ladies), Ting Cui (novice ladies?) and Peter Liu (junior men, coached by Viktor Pfieffer @ the SC of Wilmington, DE).

Last edited: