Greek National Championships, 15th May 2016 | Golden Skate

Greek National Championships, 15th May 2016

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Greek National Championships were held on Sunday 15[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2016 at the Iceberg Centre in Thessaloniki.

Timetable:
http://www.eox.gr/wp-content/upload...-ce-ac-ce-b8-ce-bb-ce-b7-ce-bc-ce-b1-2016.pdf

Archive of Livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABHDkRvTaQw

Unfortunately, there are problems with the stream. There is a piece of paper covering the camera between 1h 01m 27s (15:09:21) and 1h 43m 51s (15:54:36). Oh, and no sound AT ALL until 3h 39m 07s (18:06:03), i.e. after the competition has finished! :rolleye: :mad: :bang:

Results PDF (in mixture of Latin and Greek characters):
http://www.eox.gr/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/results-2016.pdf

Below is my rough translation of the results.

Chick Girls - Young Skaters

PositionNameScoreClub
1.Georgia TRANOU16.77Ice Guardians
2.Angela BYROU14.70Ice Guardians
3.Iliana TOISKINA14.46Ice Guardians
4.Ekaterini-Ioanna TSITSIOU12.54Ice Guardians
5.Polyxeni RIGA11.85Ice Guardians

The name of the girl that won the silver medal actually translates as “Angela Beer”. And I actually know somebody in real life with the surname “Beer”. But, because I don’t know Angela’s background, I have kept it as a direct transliteration of the Greek characters.

Cubs Girls

PositionNameScoreClub
1.Anastasia KAZANTZIDOU19.23Ice Guardians
2.Maria FATOUROU18.89Reindeer
3.Evangelia TRANOU17.30Ice Guardians
4.Elizabeth SOFIANIDOU15.18Ice Guardians
5.Maria-Zoi SARDI12.61Reindeer

The girl in 5[SUP]th[/SUP] place may actually be called “Maria-Zoë”. But, because the names are written in capital letters (and so don’t have the accents), I am not sure if it is Μαρία-Ζώη (“Maria-Zoi”) or Μαρία-Ζωή (“Maria-Zoë”). And both names do exist!

In the end, I wrote “Maria-Zoi” in the table, as that is what came out when her name in capital Greek letters was put into Google Translate.

Basic Novice A - Girls

PositionNameScoreClub
1.Alexandra TZIOTZIOU28.31Ice Guardians
2.Despina KATSAROU22.53Reindeer
3.Alexandra PAPAIOANNOU19.44Ice Guardians
4.Maria CHALKIA18.84Ice Guardians
5.Konstantina LAZARIDOU18.11Ice Guardians

Basic Novice B - Girls

PositionNameScoreClub
1.Elizabeth VOULGARI37.83Huskies
2.Katerina-Lily POULIOU30.50Reindeer
3.Ekaterini SAPANIDOU27.21Ice Guardians
4.Angeliki SAMARA17.99Ice Guardians

Basic Novice A - Boys

PositionNameScoreClub
1.Angelos EMMANOUIL22.16Reindeer

Angelos’ surname translates into English as “Emmanuel”. But, since some other sites have used the direct transliteration of his name, I have left it like that.

Junior Ladies

PositionNameScoreClub
1.Christina TOISKINA
44.34Ice Guardians
Out Of CompetitionDaniela Vanessa IPSARIDESCyprus

Because Daniela was a guest skater, there is no score in the results table. :disapp: But, I will contact her Mum to find out if she was actually judged and, if so, what her score was.

Senior Ladies

PositionNameScoreClub
1.Ekaterini PAPANIKOLAOU53.48Reindeer

As I said, these are just rough translations, based on my knowledge of the Greek alphabet. I don’t know anything about Greek grammar.

So, if Doris or any of the other members that learnt Greek can spot any major grammatical mistakes, please do not hesitate to make corrections.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Tanka

On the Ice
I wonder if Gabrialla's success has raised some interest for figure skating in Greece. I know she is French herself but her father comes from Greece and she has very Greek last name. :)

I guess Iliana TOISKINA = Iliana Tishkina. Oi equals i (almost everything in Greek equals i...) and Russian sh is often reduced to Σ. Tishkina is an ordinary Russian last name.
Oh, and there is Christina TISSKINA, I think, they are sisters, they share the same last name in Greek.

Ou should be read as u.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder if Gabrialla's success has raised some interest for figure skating in Greece. I know she is French herself but her father comes from Greece and she has very Greek last name. :)

And she has never made any secret of her Greek background (although, it would be hard to hide it with that surname!)

Whilst I am sure Gabriella's success has helped raise the profile of the sport in Greece, I wouldn't put all the credit down to her. There have been skaters in Greece for a while now.

I guess Iliana TOISKINA = Iliana Tishkina. Oi equals i (almost everything in Greek equals i...) and Russian sh is often reduced to Σ. Tishkina is an ordinary Russian last name.
Oh, and there is Christina TISSKINA, I think, they are sisters, they share the same last name in Greek.

:bang:

Sorry for giving them different surnames. By the time I got to the bottom of the page, I was doing other things at the same time (i.e. eating my breakfast!), and I made a typo without noticing. :eek::

But, I think the "Toiskina" is the correct version. It sounds right, anyway.

I've changed it now so that they match. Sorry.

Funnily enough, when I saw the end of Iliana's surname, my first thought was "that sounds Russian". But, I just put it down to coincidence. So, I wonder if you are onto something...

Ou should be read as u.

As for the "-ou", that is actually the reason I was asking for help. Because, I know a lot of words when they are written in Greek characters end with "-ου", but when they are written in Latin characters, they actually have completely different endings. And I don't know the rules at all!

For example, (taking 2 streets I know in Limassol) Paphos Avenue in Greek is "Leoforos Pafou", while Franklin Roosevelt Avenue in Greek is "Leoforos Fragklinou Rousvelt".

Of course, the Greek spoken in Cyprus is slightly different to the Greek spoken in Greece (just like the English spoken in Ireland/America/etc. is slightly different to that spoken in England). But, you catch my drift.

CaroLiza_fan

Tanka

On the Ice
In Greek ΤΟΙΣΚΙΝΑ would read as Tiskina but if the name was transliterated from Russian it may be Toiskina as well.
And... you are right! http://icebergcenter.gr/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Iceberg-open-cup-2015-Results.pdf

Or at least they don't care about changing letters into exact sounds (like Fragklinou where g is pronounced as n). Then we shouldn't either. :laugh:

-ou ending means belonging to something (like 's in English). Pafos->Pafou, etc.
As far as I know female versions of -os surnames use the same rule, so Tranou's father might be Tranos. But the girl is Tranou nevertheless.
Gabriella might be Papadaki in Greece.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In Greek ΤΟΙΣΚΙΝΑ would read as Tiskina but if the name was transliterated from Russian it may be Toiskina as well.
And... you are right! http://icebergcenter.gr/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Iceberg-open-cup-2015-Results.pdf

Or at least they don't care about changing letters into exact sounds (like Fragklinou where g is pronounced as n). Then we shouldn't either. :laugh:

-ou ending means belonging to something (like 's in English). Pafos->Pafou, etc.
As far as I know female versions of -os surnames use the same rule, so Tranou's father might be Tranos. But the girl is Tranou nevertheless.
Gabriella might be Papadaki in Greece.

Thank you so much for the explanation! :bow:

There's yet another thing I have often wondered that I have finally found out the answer to, thanks to being a member of this forum! :agree:

And thank you for the link to an English version of results PDF. That will be very helpful in checking my transliterations.

That said, as I have adopted her country in the Fan Fests, I was able to spot that they made a mistake in the spelling of Daniela Ipsarides' name. But, that may be down to the variation in the language that I was talking about.

By the way, I was talking to her Mum, and that is right enough that Daniela was not included in the results table because she was a guest skater. But, she did very well in what was her debut competition at Junior level...

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Daniela will again be competing at Junior level at the Cypriot Championships in 2 weekend's time.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so I have a confession to make. After starting this thread, I did find out what Daniela Vanessa Ipsarides scored in Greece. However, I was asked not to reveal it on here until after the Cypriot Championships were over.

But, I didn't get a chance to do it until now.

So, here are her scores in the best table design I could come up with:

Junior Ladies (Guest Skater)

Name
Nation
SP
FS
Total

Pl.
TSS
=

TES
+

PCS
+

Pl.
TSS
=

TES
+

PCS
+

FPl.

TES
+

PCS
+

Daniela Vanessa IPSARIDES
CYP

As Daniela was a foreigner competing as a guest skater, she was not eligible for the title of Greek Junior Ladies Champion. That honour went to Christina Toiskina. However, since she did win the competition, Daniela was nevertheless awarded the Gold medal and the winner's certificate for Junior Ladies.

:cheer: WELL DONE!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: