Figure Skating Friendships | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Friendships

Henni147

Final Flight
I don't know much about the private life of skaters and whether they have a close friendship (or other kind of relationship) off the ice rink. The one that really got me is the special bond between Yuzu and Javi. They might not hang around with each other in private, I don't know, but all these little moments in shows and competitions were really heartwarming. The way they cheer for each other, hug each other and talk about each other is so unique... I've never seen something like that in figure skating yet and it's so great! :yay:

Yuzu participated in four skating events this year so far: Olympics, Continues With Wings, Heroes & Future and the FaOI marathon.
Now have a look at all this!! :eekn::hap93:

Javi announcing his retirement after OWG FS
Yuzu about Javi during the OWG PC (with English subs)
Skating together around the rink

Javi's video message in CWW
Javi skating in the early morning and Yuzu conducting a birthday serenade
Yuzu's words about Javi in the CiONTU guidebook
A short excerpt:
"Before I went to Canada, I plan on holding a competitive mindset when practicing with Javi, but I didn't know that Javi was that gentle. We never had a hostile atmosphere, contrary, we became very close and motivated each others' skate to improve. My relationship with him is very important to me."
[...]
Javi is probably the first person that I genuinely feel happy for their success besides myself, because we train together every day side by side, no matter good or bad. All the effort and pain we went through are something only the two of us know."

Lovely interaction at H&F
Skating together around the rink again
The bull and the matador
Final hug before a (long?) break

I'm pretty sure that I left something out, but the sheer amount of pictures, videos and text messages in such a short time is incredible. I really wish that the friendship between these two continues after Javi's retirement, no matter where they are and what they're doing in the future :hap10:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
about friendships again (LOL)

(I tried to find the thread about friendships, I didn't manage to)

:laugh15:

Yagudin - about Marinin: "I adore smart people with whom I can have plenty to talk about. Actually, athletes are not really talkative... This is why I always respected Maxim: you can chat on any subject with him. We are like a small battery: plus and minus. He is an example of class, education, wide reading, cleverness and so on. I'm the complete opposite."

(a video without subs: https://www.1tv.ru/shows/segodnya-d...n-nachinaetsya-fragment-vypuska-ot-18-03-2019)

Averbukh - about Yagudin: "... even though you try to secret yourself under the cloak of cynicism, you are really sincere person and a man of great depth ..."

(https://www.instagram.com/p/BvJLV0PFTP7/)

LRK

Record Breaker
So glad to see this thread back - I do hope it gets posted in often, as the positivity is always welcome.:)

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
6 days ago

Marinin - about Yagudin: Happy birthday, dear friend! We really see in life that there is nothing you can't do! Even though you don't like to talk about the past, it decides on our future. Millions of figure skating fans all over the world are under your spell. You are an athlete with a capital "A" even today. You always fight to a finish, even if few people believe you can succeed. Being a star, having so many sports achievements, you are always moderate in your demands. You don't stop marching ahead, but you do have time for your family! I wish you to keep this Olympic flame in your heart, so that it could warm your loved ones and help you conquer new peaks! Be healthy and happy, Alexei!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvHOxGcgpQy/

4 hours ago

Yagudin - about Marinin: I've seen absolutely different people, but you are perfect as an athlete, as a man and as a husband!!! Happy birthday, dear friend, you are a champion with a capital "C". By contrast with many, you have a heart, a soul and brain!!!! you can be a role model for many #birthday #champion #marinin #totmianina #yagudin P.S. Love you to pieces (a laughing smiley)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvW_sWLhxMI/

Russians like to say "I love I can't" (can't bear it)... I hope "love you intolerably" is a possible translation... Or "love you, can't bear it"? :coffee:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
= "Love you to pieces".

Sorry, that I ask... Is it OK to say "love them to pieces" in English about your own children, for example?
I mean... these Russian words have nothing to do with sex or violence. They do say "love them, can't bear it" about their own children, and it sounds OK.
(Thank you.) :)

Casual

On the Ice
Sorry, that I ask... Is it OK to say "love them to pieces" in English about your own children, for example?
I mean... these Russian words have nothing to do with sex or violence. They do say "love them, can't bear it" about their own children, and it sounds OK.
(Thank you.) :)

Sure. "Love them to pieces", "love them to bits".

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I don't mean they are friends, but it is almost amazing, that Yagudin invites even Sofia - and she comes indeed, even though it is not an ice show, it is a play in theatre.

sofia_samodurova: Yesterday I've seen the premiere of the "Follow Your Heart" play featuring Anna Gorshkova @annagorshkova, Konstantin Shelyagin @sheliagin and Alexei Yagudin @alexei.yagudin. I laughed heartily, really enjoyed it and cheered myself up with positive emotions. Lyosha, thank you very much for the invitation. Can't stop being astonished at our great athletes who are so many-sided. Congratulations on the premiere, guys! :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu5mZGCHoVA/

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
alexei.yagudin: Dear @maksim_pavlovich, it is not easy to decide to finish something what was your life and your air to breathe, but you have decided to start a new chapter of your life, so I wish you to continue dreaming, working and winning. Thank you for your bright career, for your falls and highs, for the medals for our country #kovtun #newlife #newchapter #figureskating
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwmuFqpBH0A/

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Saw this interview a while ago about Nam and Keegan’s friendship. They are so supportive of each other. I noticed Keegan came out to cheer for Nam at WTT even though he was skating in the next group. Not too many would do that, it’s great to see. https://youtu.be/K2l-5YxwEtA

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Saw this interview a while ago about Nam and Keegan’s friendship. They are so supportive of each other. I noticed Keegan came out to cheer for Nam at WTT even though he was skating in the next group. Not too many would do that, it’s great to see. https://youtu.be/K2l-5YxwEtA

Thanks! ...and this makes me sad that they must fight for the only Canadian spot for next worlds in Montreal.

Charming guys!

Scott512

Record Breaker
My favorite friendship was Evgenia and Alina. But there's too much distance between them now to go out for tea and things like that. Is it really true or just a rumor that Alina unfollowed Evgenia somewhere?

I like everyone else appreciate the friendship between eteri's angels. It seems genuine and it will be interesting to see as the three of them become seniors and compete for gold medals everywhere if they're still very good friends then. So far so good.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Yagudin:
(in the beginning he means Samodurova)
Sofia is a sensation for me. She asked me after the Worlds about her low scores: "Lyosha, why is it so?" I answered: "Just wait. At the European Championship Russians are always on the pedestal, but Worlds is an entirely different event. This is your first season. People will get used, will see you are consistent, and you'll be trusted."
Medvedeva has worked a wonder too. I don't mean it was impossible for her, but she really showed a champion’s nature after such a difficult season. No wonder she had been leading in ladies for two years. She is an awesome athlete. Zagitova too. She didn't have clean events too in this season. Each time something was wrong, but at the Worlds she was excellent. I literally cried after Zhenka, after Alina, because I understand how it is difficult to keep this level. I also cried after men: after Yuzuru (I knew what an injury he had) and after Chen, of course. When you see Chen's skate live, you understand it is possible to do those jumps, yet you can't get how he does it.

as always, he also was asked about Plushenko :)
Yagudin: I was impressed by another his phrase: that he "started loving me slightly". When he said that, everyone started to phone me or to text: "Lyokha, what's going on?" I was out of subject - I asked: "What do you mean?" "Zhenya Plushenko started loving you slightly".

https://www.fontanka.ru/2019/04/04/030/

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yagudin:
(in the beginning he means Samodurova)
Sofia is a sensation for me. She asked me after the Worlds about her low scores: "Lyosha, why is it so?" I answered: "Just wait. At the European Championship Russians are always on the pedestal, but Worlds is an entirely different event. This is your first season. People will get used, will see you are consistent, and you'll be trusted."
Medvedeva has worked a wonder too. I don't mean it was impossible for her, but she really showed a champion’s nature after such a difficult season. No wonder she had been leading in ladies for two years. She is an awesome athlete. Zagitova too. She didn't have clean events too in this season. Each time something was wrong, but at the Worlds she was excellent. I literally cried after Zhenka, after Alina, because I understand how it is difficult to keep this level. I also cried after men: after Yuzuru (I knew what an injury he had) and after Chen, of course. When you see Chen's skate live, you understand it is possible to do those jumps, yet you can't get how he does it.

https://www.fontanka.ru/2019/04/04/030/

And isn't it just lovely that each skater gets acclamation - he cried for them all.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
And isn't it just lovely that each skater gets acclamation - he cried for them all.

It is... almost funny, isn't it? But he likes, that people can't stop laughing at him, when he tells, that the workers who are supposed to rebuild his house, go to his bathhouse together with him, grow fennel... and so on. It wasn't clear when they were going to finish their work. He was saying: "I like, that they are happy." Yagudin and Totmianina had to rent a flat (they couldn't live in that house). He was asked: "You are happy, but what about Tanya?" (his wife) "Tanya loves her husband." And it seems it is true: it seems she learned to live with him without scandals.

It is lovely he also believes he is a cynical person - "the complete opposite" of Marinin (who is "an example of class" and so on). Well, crying has nothing to do with "classy manners" indeed. He doesn't care.
He is... an amazing creature. And his wife too.

:laugh15:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...exei-Yagudin&p=1490938&viewfull=1#post1490938