Figure Skating Friendships | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Friendships

LRK

Record Breaker
In a new interview, Liza touches upon her friendship with Kaitlyn Weaver:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...f-not-making-the-olys-is-my-advantage.101828/

EC: Who were you mostly in touch during the last year among the skaters?
ET: I'm in good terms with Kaitlyn Weaver. I'm fond of the Canadian team in general. We started talking during the competitions and found out we have common interests. Besides, Kaitlyn is a very interesting and sane person. I like it.

EC: That's the skater who the Russian fans call `Katusha'.
ET: Right. She calls me `Lizonchik'

EC: Is the language an issue?
ET: My spoken English is not so bad. Of course, when we start talking about themes not related to figure skating there are some hardships. But we always find a way out. Except for her am in touch with Ekaterina Riazanova. She retired, but is still in the figure skating world.

ETA - Here's a great photo of them from last year that I love:):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM1ytfjFl-O/?taken-by=liza_tuktik

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick and Javi have been great friends for a long time...

here they enjoy a Spanish dinner... other skaters in there : Joey Russel :love: I/M Javi Raya, Sonia Lafuente who I think was the host. This dinner was a few days ago when Patrick visited the crickets

LRK

Record Breaker
Johnny Weir‏
@JohnnyGWeir 3 nov.
Happy birthday to my dear friend & skating hero, @EvgeniPlushenko. Женя, с днём рождения! Я тебя… https://www.instagram.com/p/BbCGFnwAW31

Via Google translate:
Zhenya, happy birthday! I wish you health, happiness, strength and pride in everything you do

Posted by Emanuel Sandhu:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFVkt1h_CR/?taken-by=emanuelsandhu

He writes:
En route to lovely St. Petersburg, Russia for my good friend Evgeni @plushenkoofficial 35th Birthday Party Show!! 💥💪🏽🎉🎈🎁 🇨🇦🇷🇺💥

LRK

Record Breaker
By the way, I'd like to say that this was a great thread that Sam started once upon a time, and I wish it were used more. Surely there have been some nice moments of skater friendship & bonding during the GPs that can be shared with those of us who missed them? Among all the debates & controversies, I think we need some positivity - so please, if You have something to share - please do! :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Those are just great - thank you! Puts a smile on my face - just what I needed.:)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown and Marin Honda on ice before the Skate Canada gala. I think Jason's Japanese lessons and love of all things Japanese is paying off:

Some dancing between friends

The next person who tells me Jason's smile is "fake", I will bop them on the head with this photo:biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
Jason Brown and Marin Honda on ice before the Skate Canada gala. I think Jason's Japanese lessons and love of all things Japanese is paying off:

Some dancing between friends

The next person who tells me Jason's smile is "fake", I will bop them on the head with this photo:biggrin:

Having been the recipient of a bunch of Jason's smiles, I can tell you unequivocally that his smile is very, very genuine. He can't help himself. He's just a warm and endearing young man who loves what he does and appreciates the fans. I've probably mentioned this before but a good friend of mine has attended the last 2 US Nats and both times he took a picture of Jason holding up a sign that said "I am (my name) biggest fan!" It was really sweet of him to let my friend do that and he remembered holding up the same sign the year before.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It sounds like he's repeating 'ganbatte' but I'm not 100% sure

No big whoop, but what I hear from Jason is "ganbare" (similar meaning to "ganbatte").

I wanted to mention Mirai Nagasu and Rika Hongo at NHK.

As their group (for the free skate, IIRC) was lining up to take the ice for the six-minute warmup, Mirai was behind Rika.
To balance herself while removing her skate guards, Mirai (without saying a word [AFAIK], and with no eye contact [b/c Mirai was behind Rika]) simply put her hand on Rika's shoulder.

I had never seen that happen in a competitive setting?? (Other than within a pair or dance partnership.)

Loved the collegiality :ghug:.

(Sorry, I can't find a link showing this moment.)