Figure Skating Friendships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Friendships

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think Jason Brown and Jordan Moeller are actually real friends, at least in some capacity and not just professional friends. I have noticed that room assignments seem to be a singles skater with a pairs/dance skater. This kinda does make sense to not room with your direct competitors... teammates or not, people need their own space. I noticed that at IceChallenge this year Jordan and Jason roomed together breaking with the norm. So either USFSA was messing with them (no i don't think that) or they specifically requested the change. That has to reflect some level of genuine affection and comfort with one another. I don't think i can recall other times of competitors rooming together at competitions.

Also... I think Max Aaron wins the bromance award. Just this season in addition to what has been shown he

Helped Elladj Baldé pose with is medal at Nebelhorn

https://youtu.be/CjcMuZA5in8?t=509

Then we have the Skate America medal ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANG0qMohWEA

At 42 seconds in a back stage type person has to physically pull him away from chatting happily with Team Koro

at 2:19 he and Jason can't hug/congratulate fast enough.

the video does not show it, but there was another hug with their medals on later on the ice... not sure where it is, but yeah he is a big sweetie.

For more cuteness, i suggest you look up the 2015 and 2016 men's podium videos from US Nationals... they are both adorable.

w4300

Rinkside
I don't have anything to add to this thread but I sure want to thank everyone who is contributing. It's fun and always makes me smile.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...... I think Max Aaron wins the bromance award. ...

Then we have the Skate America medal ceremony. ...

at 2:19 he and Jason can't hug/congratulate fast enough.

the video does not show it, but there was another hug with their medals on later on the ice... not sure where it is, but yeah he is a big sweetie. ..

I think you are referring to this other Max/Jason hug :) at Skate America:
https://twitter.com/bell_canon/status/658618889127882752 (originally posted by papagena)

ETA, fun fact:
The most recent GPs where two U.S. men won medals have been 2013 Skate America and 2015 Skate America ... both featuring Max bromances with his Team USA podium-mate :yay:.​

ETA:
I love that the Max images in this thread show his exemplary sportsmanship (regardless of his placement) :bow: as well as his bromances.​

..... I don't think i can recall other times of competitors rooming together at competitions. ....

Agree that cases such as Jason and Jordan rooming together [ETA: at competitions] seem to be exceptions.

But a couple of more [ETA: examples regarding competitions], off the top of my head:
- Madi Hubbell has mentioned that she has enjoyed rooming with Maia. [ETA: In their case, I'm not sure whether they had requested each other, but sounded like a happy experience either way.]
- Charlie White and Evan Bates roomed together in 2010 at Vancouver (when they also were roommates back home in Michigan).
- Tessa has roomed with Kaitlyn Weaver (as previously mentioned in this thread).​

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie White, Trevor Young, Evan Bates and Alex Shibutani all roomed together at UMich.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/olympics/spec-rel/013014aaa.html

It was a shared dream, one so big and challenging that the three college roommates felt dazed even to ponder it.

Alex Shibutani, Charlie White, Evan Bates, and their friend Trevor Young were three average Michigan undergrads from 2009-11, sharing an off-campus apartment in Ann Arbor. The situation was quite normal, from the competitive playing of video games down to the sometimes-sketchy levels of housekeeping. The four shared skating as a passion since childhood, and they became fast friends.

Never in their wildest imaginations did they envision this scenario: White, Shibutani and Bates would be Olympians, representing the U.S. in the upcoming Sochi Winter Games. And Young, now a Michigan graduate and retired from competitive skating, is happily cheering for his friends.

Lila11

Rinkside
I found this interview with Brian Joubert.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/10/19/154927972

I must say that my competitors of yesteryear and I have become good buddies. Tours are great for that.
Evgeni [Plushenko], Tomáš [Verner], Stéphane [Lambiel], Johnny [Weir], Daisuke [Takahashi] -- all of those I call "the Class of 2006" (the time when they competed for the biggest medals) --
we now form a great group, and we spend hours together at cafés or restaurants. We recall memories and talk of our life, both private and on the ice, each time we can see one another.
We share our vision of skating. We remind ourselves of the events we lived together as competitors, why we made such and such choices -- and how foolish some of those choices we made then were! We have a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I found this interview with Brian Joubert.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/10/19/154927972

Great article--thanks for sharing! I've always enjoyed Joubert's skating. Fond memories of him and the over skaters he mentions in the article!

Something that caught my attention was the mention of Nikolai Morozov's generosity (and Brian's). I understand Morozov has a reputation with the ladies (I honestly have no idea how much of that is true so I am not comfortable speculating), and he looks more than a little crazy as he watches his skaters by the boards, but underneath all that really appears to be a kind, generous soul who truly wants skaters to succeed. Even his antics by the boards are part of that, I think. I've never got the impression he gives people a financial break for publicity but rather out of genuine caring. Sorry to get off topic, but I thought that was pretty cool.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I like this photo of Raf and Tom Z:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGINgS7gSpu/ (posted Jun 1 by profsk8rsassoc)​

Raf's body language gives me a sense of collegiality :cool:, at the very least.

ETA (on Jun 3):

Better yet, this Instagram from Tom Z shows an outright bromance with Raf :):

ETA, johnwilsonblades posted the same Raf/TZ bromance photo, to which Ashley and Adam added bemused comments :laugh: as to how exactly the coaches are posing:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Nastia G had a Bday recently & all of them sweetly congratulated her :luv17:

Wanted to add Misha G/everyone bromance to the thread:biggrin: He's the loveliest person & friends with everyone from every country :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Looking back at the past, Boitano and Orser always had a special friendship. That especially showed at the Calgary Olympics. Being happy for the gold medallist while being disappointed at the same time by getting silver instead of gold. Great sportsmanship and great friendship.

In the Netherlands Sjoukje Dijkstra and Joan Haanappel had a similar friendship, while being rivals on the ice. In reality the rivalry was more between their families and fans than these skaters themselves who just tried the best they could and then let the judges decide.

Browning and Hamilton have a decades long friendship. After having been through a lot together, it has to be one of the strongest relationships in the skating world I suppose.

Grinkov and Dmitriev were close too, even though their partners didn't seem to get along as well as they did.

Last edited: