Cypriot National Champs, 28–29 May 2016 | Golden Skate

Cypriot National Champs, 28–29 May 2016

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Cypriot National Championships are being held this weekend. As with previous years, they will again be held at My Mall just outside Limassol

Name: 2016 Cyprus National Skating Championships

Date: 28[SUP]th[/SUP] – 29[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2016

Venue: My Mall, Zakaki, Limassol

Entries / Results Page:
http://www.csf.org.cy/national_competitions/2016/entries-results/index.htm

The most interesting competition will be the Junior Ladies. For the first time, Polina Ustinova will not have the ice all to herself, as Giorgia Isabella Sechi and Daniela Vanessa Ipsarides have both moved up from Advanced Novice level.

Danae Hadjimitsi remains at Advanced Novice level, where she will be joined by Chryso Georgiou.

There are 6 girls entered at Basic Novice A, while there are 2 girls entered at Basic Novice B.

Laura Farran is the only entry at Cubs level.

The Chicks Girls competition has the biggest entry, with 7 girls competing. This includes 2 girls with the same surname, Levitskaya.

It is a Chicks level that we finally have some boys appearing. Not many, though. Just the two.

For the Beginners level, they have combined the 3 boys and 5 girls into the one competition.

I will be away in England for a motorbike race from this afternoon until Monday, so I will say this now:

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just back from my travels to see that the Junior Ladies did go the way I was kinda expecting it to...

Daniella-Vanessa Ipsarides won the Junior Ladies title at her first attempt!!!!!!

Daniella built up a lead of exactly 5 points over Polina Ustinova in the Short Programme. And, although Polina won the Free Skate after Daniella had a fall, it was not enough to win overall.

Giorgia-Isabella Sechi has been trying to get over a back injury recently, so I was not surprised that she withdrew.

We also had a first-timer to the level become champion in Advanced Novice Ladies. Chryso Georgiou, the reigning Basic Novice A Champion, won the Advanced Novice title when she was left as the only competitor after Danae Hadjimitsi withdrew.

Taking over as Basic Novice A Champion was the reigning Cubs Girls Champion, Christiana Afxentiou.

In Basic Novice B, we had exactly the same result as last year, with Eliana Kalogirou winning from Abigail Sargeant. Both improved their scores.

Reigning Chicks Girls Champion Laura Farran won the Cubs Girls title unopposed. The girl that was her only opponent in Chicks Girls last year, Andrea Loizides, was her successor to this title in a competition that featured a much larger field of seven.

Alexander Gnedkov became this year's only male Cypriot Champion when he won the Chick Boys competition.

Well, the only male champion that I know of. Because the results page for the Beginners Boys and Girls competition is not coming up. :rolleye:

It is really encouraging that so many of the titles were won by skaters that were new to that level of competition.

:cheer: CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

By the way, the Entries / Results Pages for the past four editions are now back up on the CSF website, and can be accessed from the folowing index page:

www.csf.org.cy/national-competitions/

CaroLiza_fan

Liud

Rinkside
Poor russian girl! I am sure that judges have decided to support the national girl IPSARIDES.
She couldn't compete current season even on сategory NOVICE ADVANCE, and here she has won on JUNIOR LADIES. Magic!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Poor russian girl! I am sure that judges have decided to support the national girl IPSARIDES.
She couldn't compete current season even on сategory NOVICE ADVANCE, and here she has won on JUNIOR LADIES. Magic!

Not necessarily. Just because one competitor is local and the other is foreign does not mean that the judges are going to favour the local skater.

Take the Greek Championships a couple of weeks beforehand. There were 2 entrants in the Junior competition - a Greek girl and Ipsarides, who was there as a guest skater. The Greek girl scored 44.34. Ipsarides scored 71.58.

So, fair unbiased judging there.

Of course, that is a different competition in a different country, with different judges and different opposition.

But, hard to believe though it is, just because Ustinova is Russian doesn't automatically mean that she is a much higher standard of skater than the locals.

If you read the segment threads for the Junior GP's that Polina U competed in this season (Copernicus Stars and Riga Cup), you will find the same comments about her coming up again and again. And, although I was trying to put a positive spin on things because a.) she is Russian and b.) she is representing Cyprus, I do actually agree.

Having seen the scores that Ipsarides has been getting at Advanced Novice level, and comparing them to what Ustinova has been getting at Junior level, I was fully expecting Ipsarides to overtake Ustinova once she moved up to Juniors.

I just wasn't expecting it to happen so soon.

So, I don't think the judges were knobbling the foreigner, or helping the local. Based on what I know about them, the positions seem about right to me.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Liud

Rinkside
Thank you for opinion. It'll be interesting to watch both of them in the next season.