2016 Skate Detroit | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Detroit

samson

Medalist
Oh! Is Emily Chan competing here? I don't see her on the roster but maybe I'm missing it! I think she's got tons of potential. She has the triple toe/triple toe but if I remember last year she still wasn't competing the lutz. But as the Junior National Champ I'm excited to see what she does this season.

samson

Medalist
Does anyone know if these feeds will be available on demand later? I'm debating if I want to sit and watch today

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if these feeds will be available on demand later? I'm debating if I want to sit and watch today

My strong hunch (but only a hunch) is that video on demand will not be available.

ProEventPhoto provided free streaming of this year's Broadmoor Open and Aerial Challenge, but no video on demand.

It is possible to purchase competition videos from ProEventPhoto, so I think its business model (which is fine by me) is to provide only streaming for free.

Oh! Is Emily Chan competing here? I don't see her on the roster but maybe I'm missing it! I think she's got tons of potential. She has the triple toe/triple toe but if I remember last year she still wasn't competing the lutz. But as the Junior National Champ I'm excited to see what she does this season.

Emily is listed in Group A of Senior Ladies -- same as Mirai and Bradie.

Best wishes to all.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am... looking forward to seeing her new program.

I also really like the current skaters dress. A good blend of simple but not boring.

samson

Medalist
welp this program is very VERY new I certainly don't think this performance is indicative of anything per her training. Shame the jumps weren't there but the shape of the program is beautiful. Jeffrey's stamp is all over it and once it's trained and she's more familiar with it I think she'll really fly.

I'm also struck by how sophisticated it is compared to a lot of her past work.

edited to add: I also didn't see her warm up any triples only singles so I wonder if she had planned to do a watered down program but then changed her mind?

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
She looked giggly at the end. Which for Mirai is likely good. Better to laugh at your mistakes then beat yourself up over them. If she was giggling she likely knows what she did wrong and what she needs to work on... it is early in the season... doing doubles would be acceptable here, so really not a big deal. Even after a bad skate I am glad to see Mirai happy and looking like she wants to be there.

Layback11

Record Breaker
This kind soul is uploading videos: dailymotion.com/prismaticgem

And according to Unseen Skaters, Bradie Tennell has WD. :cry:

All the best, Emily! :yahoo:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Emily's score: 53.85, second. Not sure who won but it wasn't Mirai (48). Hmm...:scratch:

Emily popped her 3F and turned out of the combo but I loved the program! One of my favorite pieces, skated by one of my favorite interpretationers. :yes:

Interpretationer (noun): a figure skater whose interpretation you find extraordinary in some way.

kalle

On the Ice
Jump issues aside, a completely different look for Mirai.
Extremely elegant program and I love how the movements are blending in beautifully in the choreography.
Obviously a bit rough at this point (I believe she only got it a few weeks ago and before that she had vacation) but once the conditioning is up and the jumps back I think this could be a cracker of a program for her..

Last edited:

Ruffles78

On the Ice
I really enjoyed Mirai's new short program. It is sophisticated with nice nuances between elements and definitely has more transitions than last years programs. I was surprised at how great her spins were considering the time off. Not worried about the jumps as she just got the program and it's July.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
This kind soul is uploading videos: dailymotion.com/prismaticgem

Thank you! I'm going to miss most of the competition because of work so I'm glad I can still see them. What is the Senior Ladies Final Round on the schedule for Saturday?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Emy Decelles from Canada won Senior Ladies group A with a 54.28. Emily Chan (who has lovely expression) was second with a 53.85.

The highest score in Senior Ladies group B was by Lutricia Bock from Germany with 52.82. Kelsey Wong was second with 52.77 and she is Canadian.

Tonight both Senior Ladies groups will do their FS. If anyone is attending the Ladies programs tonight be aware that Group B will start early at 6:35 p.m.

After the FS tonight, there will be a skate off Saturday evening between the top competitors from each group to determine the overall winner of the Senior Ladies.

Mirai looked to be under rotating her jumps in the warmup (except the axel). I have watched skaters skate through jumps at Nationals practices and it appeared Mirai was going to do that. She was doing the program and then I could hear her slow way down and then try to do the jump. Of course, that didn't work very well as she fell on the flip and popped the loop. I would say it was a nice attempt with the choreography but she hasn't had time to put 3 jumps in....the programs are too new.

Last edited: