2016 Broadmoor Open/Aerial Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Broadmoor Open/Aerial Challenge

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@golden411, thanks for that info! It provided a little more clarity. I'm a little surprised though that he hasn't revealed names of the Team USA skaters who are competing in the Aerial Challenge.

Sad Alexei's dad lives so far away from him but good that he can travel to be with him.

Dumb question of the day: Has Nathan's hair always looked like that????!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So Jason was not announced for the Senior Men SP, which is the only event he was listed for.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I know... not a good sign. Then again Jordan Moeller is listed for tomorrow... and I think it is clear that is not happening so who knows. I do kinda feel like when skaters formally state they will be at something, they should also state when something changes... so we will see what happens.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I know... not a good sign. Then again Jordan Moeller is listed for tomorrow... and I think it is clear that is not happening so who knows. I do kinda feel like when skaters formally state they will be at something, they should also state when something changes... so we will see what happens.

I liked Ben's music and program. Too bad about jumps, but it's early.

As to Jason, I hope it's just that they decided he's not ready to show the programs with quads (which makes sense to me) and not that he reinjured himself. I suppose there's a possibility he'll attempt the Aerial Challenge, but who knows.

I have to admit I'm feeling whiny and disappointed!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I liked Ben's music and program. Too bad about jumps, but it's early.

As to Jason, I hope it's just that they decided he's not ready to show the programs with quads (which makes sense to me) and not that he reinjured himself. I suppose there's a possibility he'll attempt the Aerial Challenge, but who knows.

I have to admit I'm feeling whiny and disappointed!

I think the Aerial Challenge is the least likely for him to do especially if his quads are not in order. It could be that as he has already had good outings with these programs, he does not really need this event as much as some other years. It may also not make sense to do a program of doubles when he was doing it with triples two months ago. So it may have just been decided it was not worth it/he did not need it.

Still some comment would be nice since he had prior confirmed he would be. I don't want him to hurt himself, but some social media update would be nice. Figure skating can be hard enough to follow without having to second guess what is announced.

And yes, Ben is charming... I hope he has a good season.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think the Aerial Challenge is the least likely for him to do especially if his quads are not in order. It could be that as he has already had good outings with these programs, he does not really need this event as much as some other years. It may also not make sense to do a program of doubles when he was doing it with triples two months ago. So it may have just been decided it was not worth it/he did not need it.

Still some comment would be nice since he had prior confirmed he would be. I don't want him to hurt himself, but some social media update would be nice. Figure skating can be hard enough to follow without having to second guess what is announced.

And yes, Ben is charming... I hope he has a good season.

Yeah - I think it could hurt him if went and tried quads in the programs (or just in the jump comp) and fell all over the place right before the Grand Prix selections. Our last memory of him is strong; don't want to tarnish it in a club comp. so I think it's good strategy, but like you, I wish he or 7k had mentioned it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ooh....this is a good argument against vocals allowed in programs. :slink:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I miss hearing a distinctive Jason scream for Mariah:sad21:

I think this is a good program for Mariah. She looks more comfortable with it already than she was with last year's SP. And that is a hard program to sell in a dead venue. No idea of the first combo was intended as a single single or it was a pop, hard to tell. I think this has promise for her.

Also, glad that Rohene has given in and allowed vocals... makes me happy on some level.

She also makes a very cute gun pose with her hands on a spin that matches the songs... it was as nice touch and actually looked nice on the spin.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think she was the first skater.

Mad I missed Mariah. :curse:

Her opening combo was a single single... so not sure if a pop or marking for tomorrow.
It looks like both her 2A and solo triple are in the second half. She fell on the solo jump unfortunately. She looked more anger than rattled, which is usually a good thing for skaters. Program starts off with Roxie and ends with all that Jazz.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aerial Challenge entries, per the article tweeted tonight (Thu night) by the Colorado Springs Gazette:

Max Aaron
Anthony Boucher
Alex Johnson
Aleksei Krasnozhon
Jimmy Ma
Camden Pulkinen

Mariah Bell
Emily Chan
Karen Chen
Courtney Hicks
Pooja Kalyan
Ashley Kim
Vivian Le
Alexia Paganini
Rebecca Peng
Shannon Porter
Paige Rydberg
Angela Wang
Alice Yang

The article has a quote from Max + a nice photo of him from the gala at 2016 Worlds.

http://gazette.com/article/1578894
https://twitter.com/CSGazetteSports/status/746184919630524417 (Jun 23)​

Notes:

- Mirai Nagasu is not on the Gazette's list -- although she was part of the Aerial Challenge autograph session this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/AerialChallenge/status/746078226284351488 (Jun 23, with Mirai, Courtney, Paige, Jill Trenary, Elaine Zayak)
https://twitter.com/AerialChallenge/status/746095545979019264 (Jun 23, with Aleksei, Max, Paige, Courtney)​

I think the autograph session was held to promote the Aerial Challenge in particular, per Papa K's photo of the flyer:

- The Gazette list above does not include those who qualified tonight via the Broadmoor senior and junior jump comps.

For Junior Ladies, first is Taylor Morris, then Eleanor Crabill, followed by Sarah Goodwin

Junior Men: gold goes to Jun-Hong Chen, second is Luke Kirchgessner, third is Colton Johnson

Senior men: Romain Ponsarts captures gold, second goes to Chase Belmontes, and third is Ben Jalovick

Senior ladies: Carly Berrios wins the event, with Katie McBeath in second , and Livvy Shilling in third.

- Romain Ponsart is *not* allowed to compete in the Aerial Challenge, because he represents France.
But he did get the Broadmoor jump prizes for first place: $500 + Jackson Ultima blades.

Screen shot of final

http://i.imgur.com/JoFcqIb.png

I guess Emily is going senior. I love the back of her dress... but not her music selection.

Stitch, really appreciate all your reporting :bow: -- in this thread and others.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Holly Harris
-lovely airy quality
-nice 2A
-jumps are OK but good flow out

Score: 39.21

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
M. Capito
-3lo fall
-3lz-2t barely eked out but very gutsy to do so
-good 2A
-quite like this program!
-nice presentation

Score: 41.37

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
M capatina
-great 2A to start!
-loving her step sequence
-3t-1t...might have been a 3t-2t
-so far I really like her spins
-wishing for more pizzazz though ;)

Score: 37.42

E secunda
-bongo music...cool
-starts with spins
-nice 2lo; good height
-may have lost steam but I like her step sequence

Score:...missed it :(

***note: Ashley Shin scored 49.69
---------------------
Group 2
A proudlock
-music from exogenesis with lyrics
-ooh a tano jump combo :)
-lovely spread eagle to 2A despite fall
-yes selling that stsq!!
Score: 31.62

H ueno
-great 3t-2t combo! Such speed and height!
-messed up her solo jump
-loving her energy
-not the fastest skater but she's having fun
-amazing 2a
Score: 42.95

R peng
-lovely lines!
-3f-2t but fall on the toe
-choreography matches the flow of the music
-really wished she maintained her spiral
-2A fall but so much distance covered (the jump that is)
Score:...didn't show her score

S hilmer
-3t-2t but two-footed on the toe
-interesting choreo; quite cool actually
-messed the 2A
-really like the variations of spins
Score: 26.74

N wang
-popped 3s
-fall on 3lo
-selling her stsq!!
-spins are also a highlight
-2A fall
-maybe a bad day with the jumps
Score: not displayed

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Group 3
B mcisaac
-speed difference is apparent; smooth on the ice
-amazing 2a landed
-stsq so far is one of the more complex
-fall on 3f
-3lo landed well
Score: 51.04

A kim
-I dreamed a dream
-3t-2t smoothly landed (might've been a 3f)
-fall on 3lo but good height
-good 2a
-may be lost steam at stsq
Score: 46.65

S porter
-airy 3lo
-fall on 3t...
-nice 2A to save the jumps
-floaty skating; pleasing to watch
Score: 43.33

A yang
-Soyoun's r and j music...